Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Default FX Automation

I want to add an FX just at the tail end of a vocal phrase and I'm trying to determine the best/most efficient way to go about it.

If I put the FX on an AUX channel and create a send to that AUX, I noticed that there's no option to edit the volume like you can on an actual track, i.e. change the drop down menu from waveform to volume. Do I have to set the fader on the send to write, hit record and manipulate the fader during playback? However, if I'm only sending the one track I want the FX on, would using the volume on the AUX channel work the same way?

I'm aware that I could also just highlight the section of the waveform I want the FX on and render it, but I'd like to leave myself some flexibility incase I need to change some of the settings as I progress in the mix.

On a side note, are all time based FX's, like delay and reverb usually inserted into the mix via an FX send? What's the reason for this? Is it done to save CPU usage? Like if you're using the same FX settings on multiple tracks? Or are there other reasons besides that which make the FX's more effective via the send. I am aware of this method being used with FX of all types for parallel processing.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 AM

Default FX Automation

Automate the send not the aux return channel.

The same place you choose volume, pan etc. on your audio track for automation will also have one for the send you've just added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Re: FX Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Automate the send not the aux return channel.

The same place you choose volume, pan etc. on your audio track for automation will also have one for the send you've just added.

The insert created in the send column has one of those volume lines you can manipulate? I'm not looking at it at the moment, but I thought that it was just limited to the fader.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Yes. It has its own automation lane.

Any parameter that can be automated will have its own lane including plugin parameters.

You should have a read of the manual.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Yes. It has its own automation lane.

Any parameter that can be automated will have its own lane including plugin parameters.

You should have a read of the manual.

Haha. Tell me about it; manual's are like my kryptonite. I need to suck it up and start reading all of 'em, PT, plugins....
Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
On a side note, are all time based FX's, like delay and reverb usually inserted into the mix via an FX send? What's the reason for this? Is it done to save CPU usage? Like if you're using the same FX settings on multiple tracks? Or are there other reasons besides that which make the FX's more effective via the send. I am aware of this method being used with FX of all types for parallel processing.

Thanks,
Adam
Two reasons for me to do this.
Mixing a wet signal with a dry one always sounds better IMHO.

Using time based FX on separate tracks can start to sound too 'muddied', especially Reverb. Having everything going through the same settings sounds more natural.....but of course as usual there are some exceptions to the rule.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O