Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Default Is this the first Opteron based OctaPC?

I just finished replacing the 2 dual core processors in my Tyan S2927 with new Quad core "Barcelona" series Opterons. On advice from Tyan tech support, I updated to the 2.01f Beta version of the BIOS before I changed the CPUs. The original CPUs were 1.8GHz Dual Core Opterons #OSA2210CQWOF. I replaced them with a pair of 2GHz Quad Core Opterons #OS2350WAL4BGH.

Before I made the change I moved all the plugins except Dverb to the unused plugins folder. Then I created a new 24bit/48kHz session and recorded 5 minutes on 25 tracks with 122 Dverbs.

After the new processors were installed, I recorded 5 minutes without errors on 48 tracks with 238 Dverbs!

I made no Windows or settings changes between tests, although the processor limit option in ProTools changed with the new processors. Originally I had a 95% option and that's where I ran the first Dverb test. After the CPU upgrade, 90% was the highest setting. That's where the second Dverb test was run.

I'm a pretty happy camper!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Is this the first Opteron based OctaPC?

Quote:
I just finished replacing the 2 dual core processors in my Tyan S2927 with new Quad core "Barcelona" series Opterons. On advice from Tyan tech support, I updated to the 2.01f Beta version of the BIOS before I changed the CPUs. The original CPUs were 1.8GHz Dual Core Opterons #OSA2210CQWOF. I replaced them with a pair of 2GHz Quad Core Opterons #OS2350WAL4BGH.

Before I made the change I moved all the plugins except Dverb to the unused plugins folder. Then I created a new 24bit/48kHz session and recorded 5 minutes on 25 tracks with 122 Dverbs.

After the new processors were installed, I recorded 5 minutes without errors on 48 tracks with 238 Dverbs!

I made no Windows or settings changes between tests, although the processor limit option in ProTools changed with the new processors. Originally I had a 95% option and that's where I ran the first Dverb test. After the CPU upgrade, 90% was the highest setting. That's where the second Dverb test was run.

hello Jeff, thanks for the post - glad to see they are working!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:42 AM

Yeah, Jeff, that's great news, congrats and a belated thanks for being the trailblazer/guinea pig. I'm planning to do the same, just want to wait and see if/when the price drops on the Barci's.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:22 PM

So far so good with the Opteron OctaPC. I chose to do the upgrade now because I don't have any projects going for the next couple of weeks. Mostly I have been calling up old mixes to see how they play back. So far even my most complicated, plug-in intensive songs are playing back at buffer = 64. Well, I take that back - I had one song with 48 tracks, 8 Auxes, plus a master fader with all 5 plugin slots used. That song was having jerky screen updates at 64 but was fine at 128.

For me, this upgrade means I won't have to use low latency monitoring anymore. If I need to go back and add a track to a song I won't have half my plugs bypass. That's worth it to me.

Jeff_C
Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 AM

Cool Jeff, thanks for posting. I have been waiting for these to be released. I may have to make that move now...
Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
just finished replacing the 2 dual core processors in my Tyan S2927 with new Quad core "Barcelona" series Opterons. On advice from Tyan tech support, I updated to the 2.01f Beta version of the BIOS before I changed the CPUs. The original CPUs were 1.8GHz Dual Core Opterons #OSA2210CQWOF. I replaced them with a pair of 2GHz Quad Core Opterons #OS2350WAL4BGH.

very good to hear. have been in debate to upgrade to a octo core from my quad core due to the bad performance since upgrading to 7.4

my quad is now well over 2 years old and has been great. i will have to get a new motherboard, i use the asus k8n-dl, so will just build a new system from the ground up.

curious, i cannot remember the exact numbers the q6600 was doing? are the barcelona's more promising at this point?? i am thinking about tackling this abou the end of may but everything seems in limbo right now with processors. seems some serious new power is on the verge of breaking out, so cant decide wether i should wait another month or 2 or go for it?? so many choices, so little money!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC(8-core) and Quadzilla(4-core) *OS Upd

Installed the new SIIG firewire card last week and Pro Tools STILL doesn't see the ProFire M-Audio interface. At the end of my rope at this point. Will reinstall everything and re-check all drivers are most current.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I bow to Jeff C. You the man. OK I am jumping in with you bro. I like your style. No wineing just do it attitude. I will follow your recomondations on my S2927. I am about 2 weeks out on this. I will report my findings. One question, did you do this in Vista or XP Pro and on PT7.4 or PT7.3? DID you also do the 4 gig memery fix as suggested before?
I know 20 questions here, but that how we GETTER DONE.

The BAD1
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:

...did you do this in Vista or XP Pro and on PT7.4 or PT7.3? DID you also do the 4 gig memery fix as suggested before?
Bad1,

I'm using XP Pro and PT7.4cs3. I have not tried the 4GB/large address stuff yet. I don't use a lot of VIs, but may try it one day just to see how much difference it makes for plugin intensive sessions.

So far the new CPUs are working fine, but part of the reason I did the change is because I don't have much going on in the studio right now. I haven't done any real tracking with it - just mixing. I haven't done anything using elastic audio yet, either.

I haven't noticed any change in PC temperatures, etc. using the same CPU coolers and fan speeds. Just a jump in performance and being able to run lower buffers.

I think you'll be happy with the results, but trailblazing is always risky. If you do the upgrade, please let us all know about your before & after Dverb tests and real world results.

Jeff_C
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC(8-core) and Quadzilla(4-core) *OS Upd

Quote:
Installed the new SIIG firewire card last week and Pro Tools STILL doesn't see the ProFire M-Audio interface. At the end of my rope at this point. Will reinstall everything and re-check all drivers are most current.
Markus I'm curious to find out what the fix for this is or what the problem is so please post when you get it figured out.

SB79

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88