Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Patch Advance in PT Virtual Instruments

Hi, folks--

I'm looking for guidance on how to use the momentary footswitch input of my keyboard controller to advance presets in virtual instruments. My controller is not immediately near the computer, and when auditioning patches, I want simply to step through them using the fs.

My controller is a StudioLogic SL88 Studio, which has four separate foot switch inputs, and each is configurable to the usual suspects (sustain damper, expression, or MIDI CC channels, lots of others). How (where) in PT would I set this up--I assume by designating a MIDI CC number and assigning it patch advance in a VI? Setting it up on the SL88 is quite easy, using their editor app; I just need to know what to do on the other end in PT.

Any advice out there from experience PT MIDI gurus?

Many thanks,
David

Also: System Specs:
MacPro (15-inch, 2017)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB RAM
PT 2018/7.0
Old 09-22-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Patch Advance in PT Virtual Instruments

Maybe I should have asked...is this even possible to do over MIDI with PT?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:55 AM

There's nothing to set up in PT - once you have it setup on your keyboard it's up to whatever each vi allows. Not all vi's expose their patch change mechanism to the daw. Some work via the MIDI standard patch change facility and some don't. And to make it more interesting some will work with the cursor keys on your computer's keyboard.

Basically what I'm saying is you're going to have to dig into the documentation for whatever vi you have and see what it'll accept for patch changes.

QAPLA!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Jack beat me to it. But he's correct. What MIDI commands a given VI will accept will vary VI to VI. Also, PT doesn't have any VIs. It does, however, ship with some VIs from AIR Instruments thrown in. Avid has no VI's of its own. Jack is also correct that its not a matter of what PT will or will not accept. If you have your MIDI set up correctly for PT, then whatever MIDI commands your VI will accept will pass to them via your controller.

I know with Xpand you can set it up to advance to the next patch after so many seconds so you can keep playing while going through sounds.

Since your controller is not in close proximity to your computer, there is an easy work around. Create a MIDI track to play the part you want to play. Then loop it and let PT play the VI, and you just keep changing the patches. That way you won't need to be at the controller to do it.

That or rearrange your studio so you are in proximity. For a long time I was kind of in that same boat. Finally, I rearranged everything so that its all at my fingertips. Made life SO much easier!