Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 09:20 PM

Default another MIDI question

ok, maybe i'm stupid, but here is my problem.

i was working with my drum tracks (all done on a SR-16 drum machine) and i have the MIDI data and all that on a MIDI track no prob. for some reason even with the drum machine recieving the timing data from pro tools, my drums aren't coming out equal to the measures that i have set up in pro tools, so by the end of the track the timing is close to almost a beat or two ahead of where the drum beats actually are. I encountered this problem before, and some way or another i got it all to work out so that all the drums were on where i wanted them to be. tonight i decided that the drums needed to be altered, so i figured i would just go and do it the way i did before, only i realized that i have no idea how i did it.

what i did tonight was record the MIDI drums in as close to the tempo as i could, but by the end it was still off by the previous said amount. (after i had them recorded, i even tried identify beat, figured out the tempo and tried rerecording it with the "accurate" tempo, but it's still not working out to be on the measure markers) i messed around with it for about four hours, and i have all the tempo changes that i need in there, it's just that they are at really really odd places, and i have a feeling thats not going to be a huge deal with the guitars and bass, but my other midi data is going to be a pain to do without it being on the beat. like i said i have no idea what i did last time, as it all just kind of worked out the first time through. any help would be greatly appreciated.

peace,
G Bender
Old 03-09-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: another MIDI question

Hi,

after recording your MIDI you should quantize it before adjusting the tempo.

Could it be what you forgot you did the last time?

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 03-11-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: another MIDI question

i tried that. it quantinized it for about half the song. then it gets off again. what i did notice though was that in the MIDI data, i did notice that there was a region where the drum line that i programmed is not what is represented, and it's all messed up for about half a measure. then it's fine for the rest of the song, but the note data is off by an entire beat for the rest of the song. i'm thinking this is what my problem is, and i'm not quite sure how it happened. i'm sure if i adjust some settings and re-record it, things should work out.

i'm just curious as to what may have caused that weird thing. i heard a strange sound on the audio playback i was doing it to, but didn't think much of it. i wasn't aware there was anything more going on that a kind of exchange of data and the sound used for monitoring wasn't really affecting anything or was that just all in the MIDI connections causing the sound to reflect that?

thanks for your help though!

peace,
G Bender