Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2003, 06:47 PM

Default SC Card unstable???

I have a PCI SC II card with a 'QC' revision AMCC chip. When I put it in my dual 867 , mirror-door, 'blowhole' Mac (running OS 9.2.2), I observe the following behaviours:
the computer hangs during startup, usually (but not always) during the startup chime;
the computer boots up but the SC software can't see the card (I have DigiSystem init 5.1.1 installed);
the computer starts up and the card functions properly (this has happened twice in about a dozen startups. Usually I get a hang or the card isn't seen by the computer.

Is this setup supposed to work?

Thanks in advance,
Steve = : ^ )
Old 02-03-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Re: SC Card unstable???

You may want to check that the card is properly seated in the PCI slot and/or try a different slot. It should work.

Kevan
Old 02-03-2003, 02:47 PM

Thanks Kevan. I tried the card in two slots and re-seated it a couple of times in the second slot. At that point I posted here but, if you're sure it should work, I'll keep trying. I guess I'll try booting with minimum extensions next.

Thanks again,
Old 02-04-2003, 03:00 PM

I received this from someone on the Motu-Mac list:

Steve that model needs a logicboard change from Apple. The MDD (blowholes) do not work out of the box with Digi PCI cards.
You need to call apple and tell them that you own a Digidesign system. The Apple Techs are told to ignore any problems unless they hear the word (Digidesign Protools or Digi 2). But many other DAW PCI cards are starting to show up with similar problems.
They will want your system in the shop while they order a new logic board.
btw you will lose some of your audio authorizations on software that looks at your systems ID.

Any comments from the gallery?