Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM

Default SC file x-fer to PC/HALion

I'm converting my disks of samples from SampleCell to a PC to use with Nuendo/HALion. The sample files themselves have transfered pretty smoothly, but I'm not so sure about the bank and instrument files. Translator claims to be able to convert them, but do I need to do anything to them before I copy them from the Mac to the PC? I have the SCFileConvertor Utility from Digi, but every time I try to use it I get an error (bank/instrument can't locate files...)

Anybody else ever dealt with this situation?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:01 AM

Default Re: SC file x-fer to PC/HALion

The best way to do this would be to use CDXtract and convert your current mac SC library to Halion format. You'd have to do this on your mac then transfer the Halion conversions to your PC. Make sure you choose WAV as the sample format. Also beware of having any folders or files named with unusual characters. These will not convert or load into Halion on your PC. Mac users running OS9 were often fond of using what would be considered illegal characters under OSX or PC operating systems. So ..please no characters created using the option key and none with asterix, periods and commas, backslash/frontslash, exclamation etc etc. Keep it simple and short.

If you want to use the Digi convertor you'd also be best to do this on your mac to your current library and not the copies. I think the reason it can't find the files is because you're trying to convert the copies...just a hunch.

Keep in mind that the conversion to Halion is pretty basic. The Samplecell Instruments will be correctly mapped and tuned but that's about it. Filter is ignored and envelopes are not going to be the same. You'll be busy editing them to get them close. I have both CDXtract and Translator and have done conversions of SC to Halion and I prefer CDXtract.

hope that helps

Kevan

PS I just re read your post and it would seem you're trying to use the Digi SC convertor on your CD files. I'm not sure if this is what they had in mind and I don't know if it will work this way. I would think they meant to convert the files that reside on your hard drive. If it can't find files it's usually due to the location being different than the what the original instrument or bank has encoded. Keep in mind this convertor is quite old and the file format of Samplcell has changed. It may not be able to read the newer format that SCII and SoftSamplecell uses. Something to think about.