Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2002, 05:37 AM

Default Reason, Rewire, and Protools

Howdy - A friend and I are trying to get Reason software (esp the drum seq/synth) to talk to Protools, via Reason's "Rewire" interface. Rewire is supposed to be able to link any "Rewire compatible" software to Reason's data. Ex- with Protools as the "host app", it shoul be able to suck in Reason's drum sequencer tracks. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Their documentation is, as usual, vague.
thanks for anything,
j.thomas

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2002, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Reason, Rewire, and Protools

Hi JT -

PT does not support Reason's ReWire protocol, and Reason does not support PT's direct connect protocol. Someone here once described it as a "gay mexican stand-off"...pretty funny.

There is a workaround. You can send midi over the IAC bus from PT to Reason, which will allow you to "sync"...actually "trigger"...both programs together, so that they run in parallel, PT's transport controls Reason's transport, and they will start and stop together, as well as run together in tempo. You can also use another IAC bus to actually trigger Reason's intruments thru PT. If you are interested, I can give you exact instructions for setting this stuff up...it's relatively simple.

Now, to get Reason's audio into PT, well, that's another story. Because you cannot use Rewire or DirectConnect, you must physically route a stereo mix from a 2nd soundcard (such as apple's built-in soundmanager) into the digi001, OR you can check out a third-party utility called "Refuse" which acts as a bridge between PT and Reason - it's supposed to allow you to stream 16 channels of Reason audio into PT, but from what I know, it's difficult to configure and doesn't work very well anyway.

The way I have been working (and it's working out great) is to just sync up the two programs and run them together. I have a second audio/midi interface (Tascam US-428) for playing midi into Reason and monitoring it's audio, so I just run the programs together, tweaking my Reason arrangement as I go. At any time I can also record an audio track into PT. I can hear both programs together, which is very nice. Then, when I am happy with my Reason arrangement, I can export the tracks from Reason INDIVIDUALLY as .wav files, import them into individual tracks in PT, and mix (using plugs, etc.).

This method is working great for me right now...just ask and I will give you more info.

Peace
Old 12-30-2002, 01:55 PM

Hi - i am working with the same setup as you do, but when you mentioned the software "refuse" i felt immediately motivated - but i cannot find it anywhere. This would mean i could run reasonsounds through plug-ins and for this i would go through almost all setup-stress.
I checked digi and propellers - am i blind?

Thanx for your help! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 PM

Ahem -

www.refusesoftware.com

If you want to use Reason w/PT, this is the best $30 you'll spend on gear.

No disrespect, but Leigh has documented this fantastically and, if you follow the instructions, it works as well as any of these, uhm, "modifications". I had it up and running in about 15 minutes. Minimal problems since then.

Heres the thing - going the IAC route gives you a single stereo pair out from Reason - unusable for complex compositions (for me at least). ReFuse gives you 16 channels into your PT session.

There's a demo up on the ReFuse site. Do a search for Reason and/or ReFuse here on the DUC - there are very detailed posts outlining the IAC set-up and ReFuse.

K
Old 01-01-2003, 11:39 AM

One thing that isn't pointed out well in most of the posts on this is that, unfortunately, Reason cannot act as the master. PT has to be the master.

I would prefer to be able to switch, depending on whether I'm spending most of my time in Reason or in PT at that point in the production.

The problem isn't with PT as it can act as a master or slave. Reason doesn't output midi clock, but only can input it, so that would be a feature request for the Propheads.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Hey - ihave it all set up and it is damn good. PT needs a lot of memory to be allocated and things are smooth.
Great setup - plus: in my setup reason acts as master as well as PT. I dis all installation as the readmes adviced and: no problem.
It sort of means that reason doae put out Midiclock, does it?

So long [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 09:31 AM

"in my setup reason acts as master "

What? Even in the Reason manual it says it doesn't ouput midi clock.

Is reFuse somehow putting out the clock?

Would you care to explain, please, how you are managing this?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:29 PM

Well it was all very easy. Actually i am not sure wether it is Midiclock... - yeah but it should be (it communicates via IAC and you need to have 2 IAC Busses!). If you do the proper setting in REFUSE(you must check Audio+Tempo Link!) you will have it synced up both ways - no doubt about it.

Go for it and you´ll succeed!

Greetings [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 05:09 PM

Maybe it's reFuse setting the midi clock and using MMC to control both apps?

Essentially, both PTLE and Reason would be slaving to the MTC from reFuse - at least that's what it sounds like.

I'll hook up reFuse tonight (I had just been using SM output to two analog inputs to PT) and see if Reason can control the start/stop.

If reFuse can simulate Reason being the master MTC contoller, then that's another 'reason' to use it. I haven't been using reFuse much since I bought it, but this would be a good excuse to try it again.

Old 01-14-2003, 06:33 AM

Hello people,

Trying to find out how you lot are getting on with the syncing of Pro Tools and Reason. Going to be it attempting myself in a few days and won't mind some guidance.

Do I definitely need a 2nd soundcard?

Regards,
g