Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Default Apollo Twin Not Recognized by Pro Tools (But is by OS & Console)

Out of the blue I hit the weirdest thing. Recording perfectly, went to sleep, and the next day I am experiencing this:

Pro Tools doesn't recognize Apollo Twin Duo in Setup/Hardware/ peripherals.

Playback audio only comes out of iMac speakers (when I mute Apollo monitor I still hear pro tools playback, but guitar connected to Apollo input comes out of speakers and is controlled (muted, volume up/down) by Apollo monitor controls.

Apollo is recognized by iMac and appears as selected input/output device in system preferences/sound.

I uninstalled/reinstalled UA software. Deleted/Re-added I/O in pro tools.

I started to restore Avid installation from Time Machine - but I am terrified it will lose/alter the year long recording project I have been working on.

I can't tell if it is a problem with the mac OS, the Apollo, or Pro Tools. So I am lost on who to contact for support. Literally nothing changed from one day to the next.

System:
iMac
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
3.5 GHz intel core i7
32GB 1600 DDR3

Pro Tools 12.4.0.294

Apollo 8.5.1 build 55332
Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Apollo Twin Not Recognized by Pro Tools (But is by OS & Console)

Oh man, I finally figured it out after 4 days. I needed to select the Apollo within Pro Tools setup/playback engine.

As easy as that sounds, it just doesn't make sense that these settings changed on their own. I literally made no configuration changes. I finished a recording session with no issues one night only to open the same session the next day and encountered the problem.

Such a pain, but I am glad I figured it out.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 06:54 AM

Sorry i'm late to this , only just read it. Yes Audio Device is selected in Playback Engine, the peripherals is for control surfaces etc.
It's not uncommon for Pro Tools to change interface, it seems to depend on what order things are switched on, loaded etc. I find it's always worth checking in Playback Engine before I start a session, to see if anything has changed and to check what buffer size I left it on. Once you get into that habbit it only takes a few seconds.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 AM

This recently just happened to me!!!! I was mixing along, then the next day, my Apollo is gone. (iMac i7 with Apollo Duo TB) In the Playback engine, my Apollo isn't in the list. So you think this is a power on issue? I've got the sequence wrong?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 AM

The best sequence is to power on your external interface hardware first. Then the computer. That allows the computer to pick up the interface through the drivers you have installed for it to pick up your interface as the computer is booting up. Last start Pro Tools and then it can recognize your hardware. I have noticed sometimes Pro Tools will see the interface if you boot the computer first and sometimes it won't so I make it a habit to do it in that order. There are times when even with my Avid HD I/O's when I close down Pro Tools sometimes I can open it and keep on working and other times I have to shut everything all the way down, turn on the mic pres, turn on the HD I/O's then the computer and then Pro Tools to get it all to work properly. I think the key is making sure the hardware is up and running before Pro Tools can pick it up which makes good sense. Whether it's HD or non-HD hardware the software has to be able to see it when opened.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman1973 View Post
The best sequence is to power on your external interface hardware first. Then the computer.
+1

If I don't do it in this order, OS X will usually default to Air Play mode for my Apple TV. This can (and will) "freak out" Pro Tools sometimes.

I always turn my interface on first.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM

I am certainly not new to audio toys... but man, I am stumped.

I have PT 11 and an Apollo Twin. I have been using it for about 6 months with my newish Macbook pro and I would normally recommend it to anyone. Except for today. I was recording and everything was fine until I received the blinking play button syndrome in Pro Tools. Okay. I have seen that before. Close down and restart or move the hardware buffering and everything is fine, except the Apollo Twin is not giving output now. Reloaded drivers and the whole deal and still nada. I defaulted the input and output paths and nada. I reset the internal clocks and nada. I can record and monitor but playback monitoring is not available.

I will admit that the Apollo console is not a forte of mine. So i am thinking that I am missing something elementary with that interface. Pro Tools and it's plug ins are reporting completely normal and showing regular output via the built in output but nothing goes to output monitoring via the Apollo.

So what gives? Did I work too many hours today and forget how to use my equipment? Did I hit a button on my Fractal FX8 and turn off part of my brain?

Has anyone else run into this? Always appreciate the help and opinions. Thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 PM

If you can set the Mac to use the Apollo for audio and get sound, then it's got to be in the UA mixer software setup and I'm no expert with that app... but at least you'll know if the Apollo is or is not defective.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverblack View Post
Oh man, I finally figured it out after 4 days. I needed to select the Apollo within Pro Tools setup/playback engine.

As easy as that sounds, it just doesn't make sense that these settings changed on their own. I literally made no configuration changes. I finished a recording session with no issues one night only to open the same session the next day and encountered the problem.

Such a pain, but I am glad I figured it out.

Thanks
This has been happening a lot on my system as well with Pro Tools since 12. Pro Tools likes to randomly pick my Akai MPC as the audio device when I always only use the Apollo.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 05-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Im running pro tools m powered 8.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 snow leopard
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4 GB memory
Hardware: Apollo Firewire interface / M- Audio Profire 2626 interface.

I recently upgraded to a new Apollo interface and I cant get pro tools to recognize the hardware. I backed up and deleted my drive to get back to Snow Leopard and reinstalled all software, new drivers, etc. In order for M-powered PT to work it needs to be connected to M-audio hardware. So I have the profire 2626 going firewire to the apollo and the apollo firewire into my computer. In PT "playback engine" it will not detect my Apollo hardware being there. My mac recognizes it and allows me to use it as output source in System preferences>sound...But I cant get it to connect in PT. What Ive gathered so far is that I need to change my playback engine and I/O settings to use Apollo in PT and I cant because it wont recognize it.

Can anyone help???

thanks