Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 and Mbox Mic Issue, Help Needed

Hey Guys, I'm new here so I apologize ahead of time if it becomes apparent. I'm also brand new to Pro Tools. I recently purchased Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools Mbox but haven't been able to get going with it yet. I'm really confused on the program side of things in terms of running the mic through the Mbox and hearing it in Pro Tools. I am running PT11 on a Mac (10.8.5), no monitors as of yet just my KRK headphones, and the new Pro Tools Mbox. When I try to run the mic though the mic input on the back of the Mbox and get sound out of Pro Tools 11 (on my headphones) it tells me that the insert was made inactive because the output path was already assigned. I'm not sure how to fix this problem...or what I'm really doing in general. How do I set the output path correctly in Pro Tools 11 to hear my mic thru the Mbox? I am looking to get going on my headphones asap but am totally stuck. I can tell audio is registering on the Mbox, just not in Pro Tools 11. Please remember I am brand new to Pro Tools and to the Mbox and I'm already thoroughly confused as it is, so simplified answers would probably translate best. Thanks in advance guys :)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and Mbox Mic Issue, Help Needed

Hi

First off got to settings and go to I/O and press the "Default" on all pages i.e in - out - aux etc and see if that helps you out. Also you need to set the mbox as input on the track you wanna record to. Set all i/o to default and try again and post back with your findings

Welcome to the Forum
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi

First off got to settings and go to I/O and press the "Default" on all pages i.e in - out - aux etc and see if that helps you out. Also you need to set the mbox as input on the track you wanna record to. Set all i/o to default and try again and post back with your findings

Welcome to the Forum
Christopher
Christopher, many many thanks to you sir. I did as you said and all works perfectly now. I do have an additional question..Is Boom the only stock drum sounds on pt11?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritus View Post
Christopher, many many thanks to you sir. I did as you said and all works perfectly now. I do have an additional question..Is Boom the only stock drum sounds on pt11?
Hi and you are most welcome

Well if you go to your Avid Account you will find a pretty bunch of sample files including lots of drums and fun stuff that you can use with Structure which comes with pro tools. It is a great sampler/sample player and you will find good usable drum sounds there. We have other drum VI's as there aren't that much drum sounds in the stock PT10/11 so when you tried the samlple library for Structure out and find out what you need post back here on the forum and we will help you find the right Drum VI for the sounds you want and need

Really glad you got up and running
Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi and you are most welcome

Well if you go to your Avid Account you will find a pretty bunch of sample files including lots of drums and fun stuff that you can use with Structure which comes with pro tools. It is a great sampler/sample player and you will find good usable drum sounds there. We have other drum VI's as there aren't that much drum sounds in the stock PT10/11 so when you tried the samlple library for Structure out and find out what you need post back here on the forum and we will help you find the right Drum VI for the sounds you want and need

Really glad you got up and running
Best of Luck
Christopher
Once again, many thanks! There are some good sounds in there. Its funny how things can hide in plain site when you dont know what your looking at. But I will eventually need some new sounds. What are some of the better drum VI's? I understand theres some pretty good ones but they are not free.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritus View Post
Once again, many thanks! There are some good sounds in there. Its funny how things can hide in plain site when you dont know what your looking at. But I will eventually need some new sounds. What are some of the better drum VI's? I understand theres some pretty good ones but they are not free.
If you head over to the AAX and Virtual Instrument threads you will find a lot of posts with great suggestions.

The drum VI's we have in the studio are

Addictive Drums : http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1
Works in both 11 and below and that is rare right now.

BFD3 : http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=205
Lot of members have them aswell and there are mixed reviews but they do sound great when tweeked a bit.

Slate SSD4 Platinum : http://www.stevenslatedrums.com
We use these all the time when making songs for americas pop rock princesses
and we have the expansion packs CLA and Terry Date. Love 'em

Vengeance Sound Phalanx with all 4 expansion packs that has come out to date and the Phalanx sampler is one of the few VI's we use on All our productions as it sounds superb! Comes with a basic setup with 3000 sounds α $199 and the full version we have α $249 with 6000 sounds. This great VI reads a lot of other samples like WAV/AIFF and more. This one is heard on most dance/EDM songs out there today and is not only a superb drum VI, it also has a lot of really great Effects and Synth sounds like basses, leads, pads and more. If it is a modern pop/edm/dance/house sounding drum sampler you are looking for then look no further. You can start by getting the 249 dollar version with 6 thousand sounds and get the expasions later on at $50 each. I know there are a few new packs coming soon with strings and more dance edm samples aswell within this year so have a listen at http://www.vengeance-sound.com Goto plugins on the top bar and listen to the PHALANX and fall in Love

Also have NI Komplete Ultimate 9 : http://www.native-instruments.com/en...te-9-ultimate/

Comes on a USB2 drive w/370GB!! lots of drum expansions (65 VI' and PI's)
but a bit pricey, however you get basically a whole orchestra w/drums, horns, strings, keys, awesome efx sounds and great ssl emulations and reverbs, guitars, basses, and much more and ... All of these sounds GREAT!

We use a lot of other sample libraries for both Structure and Kontakt 5 from NI and sites like http://www.vengeance-sound.com // http://sounds.beatport.com // http://www.producerloops.com and many many more for great samples as we make dance/pop/top40/house/radio hits and they are very useful if you don't feel like tweeking the modern drum sounds and samples yourself everytime.

There are lots of other awesome stuff out there and other members have other prefered VI's so keep an eye on the threads in AAX and Virtual Instrumet section of the forum for more suggestions but these are the main ones we use.

If you want an allround drum sample VI to start off with I would go with the Addictive Drums and you can get it here : www.audiodeluxe.com for like 135-145 dollars and if you get the AD drum VI before the months end you not only recieve a great price but you also get a Free Ad-Pak value 50 dollars and you can choose anyone you want. Also you get a really great sounding Piano VI with really good sounds and these both run on PT11 AAX64 bit which is a major plus in my book

I Hope you find something great for you and some of these have lots of sample songs and demo stuff so you know what you buy. I know that almost every person who bought the Addictive Drums are very happy with it and will probably keep buying ad-paks and keep filling up their library with XLN products.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————