Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA possibly won`t be here this year.....

False advertisement!!!!! I was countin on that release to happen this summer. (condemplating lawsuit) I hope digi plans on making a few of the things we've all been asking for standard issue. ie ADC, 48 tracks, and a 64 bit version.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA possibly won`t be here this year....

Quote:
False advertisement!!!!! I was countin on that release to happen this summer. (condemplating lawsuit) I hope digi plans on making a few of the things we've all been asking for standard issue. ie ADC, 48 tracks, and a 64 bit version.
I think that buying a copy of xp will be WAY cheaper than losing a lawsuit to AVID

Kris
May the music move you
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I think that buying a copy of xp will be WAY cheaper than losing a lawsuit to AVID

...or even cheaper than paying your lawyer for one hour of time.

As mentioned earlier, you can request that XP be installed in new computer purchases, XP support continues until 2014, it works with Pro Tools HD and LE. It aint broke.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I would think that Vista compatibility with LE would be the priority. The majority of HD users are in studios with dedicated custom computers,
The main PT rig in bigger studios use HD and a Mac. It is not uncommon to see PT LE rigs for editing stations etc in the smaller rooms of the big studios. There are even a few of the bigger studios in my area that still use PT 5.0 with Mix3 going into the SSL. It's nothing but playback for them.

Quote:
while I would say the majority of LE users are home studio hobbyists, buying their PC or laptop off the shelf.
You'll be very surprised. Alot of the guys who have posted in this very thread do this full time for a living. Many of the full time Engineers and Producers I know also have LE rigs at home. There are also a few names in this very thread who have worked on some big albums which I'm sure you've heard. And even a couple here who have done tracks 100% in LE which have done very well in the mainstream. More than just "hobbyists" use LE.

Quote:
Since nearly all the computers these days come pre-loaded with vista, it seems logical that digi should get LE compatible vista out ASAP for when all the kids go back to school and get their new computers...
One can still get XP preinstalled when you request it. XP support will continue until 2014. I'd rather see legacy bugs and issues addressed first before getting out Vista support "ASAP" filled with problems, which obviously they have encountered, hence the delay in the release.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-25-2007, 01:34 PM

While I agree with most points as to why PT on XP is just fine, because it is, I think this is just symptomatic of Digi being years behind the curve with everything. Digi is like where I live, St. Louis. Great place to live, but mullets and Poison are still 'hip', not that Poison was ever 'hip' in the first place.

While many people are just fine sticking with XP, just as many others would like to have Vista compatibility I would imagine. New computers are equipted with Vista and I think it's a pain that you have to install XP on a computer that came with Vista. I don't mind doing that, but how many of LE's customer base wants to deal with that crap? Especially when you look at all your other DAW options and everyone is Vista compatible or at least will run on Vista if not officially supported? Most folks want to plug and play with no shenanigans. I know it's easy and inexpensive to just have a second boot drive with XP on it, but why does Digi have such a seeming problem with forward progress? Why can't Digi just open the current drivers so they'll install on Vista with an unofficially unsupported warning? Well, maybe that's a bad idea, I installed XP drivers for my Mackie Satellite along with Tracktion 2, and it ran just fine on Vista. Hell, I installed Cool Edit 96 on my Vista lappy the other day. Works great!! WTF?!?! That's an 11 year old program!

At the same time, I'd like to see age old bugs worked out first like the mentioned play bug. Such an internal confict I have going here. LOL

Now, I'm assuming Digi has pretty good reasons for delaying the already behind the curve announcement for Vista compatibility, but is it too much to ask for at least a simple explanation from them? And I mean more than just "delays in software development have occurred." I don't think that's an unreasonable request. How about, "We are sorry for any inconvenience that this release postponement may have caused, but we are working diligently to make sure we bring you a smooth Pro Tools Vista transition and experience." Anything to show they actually give a crap. Maybe I'm just bitter with Digi's seeming lack of care for their LE customers.

All this of course it just my opinion and jotting down my thoughts on the original question. Maybe I'm out in left field. When it comes down to it, there is a reason I use Pro Tools. IMO it's the best DAW out there, at least for my work flow. I guess I just get frustrated when I see other DAW’s out there with features and compatibility I wish PT had.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
How about, "We are sorry for any inconvenience that this release postponement may have caused, but we are working diligently to make sure we bring you a smooth Pro Tools Vista transition and experience." Anything to show they actually give a crap. Maybe I'm just bitter with Digi's seeming lack of care for their LE customers.
Well said!
Quote:
When it comes down to it, there is a reason I use Pro Tools. IMO it's the best DAW out there, at least for my work flow.
I agree completely, having said that, I am finding it harder & harder to justify it to my none PT using friends with actual hard facts as more time goes on...
Quote:
I guess I just get frustrated when I see other DAW’s out there with features and compatibility I wish PT had.
[Cough]adc[cough]

I really feel it time for digi to be more transparent, apologise when they screw up & give us some information to plan with relating to future key feature development... Not the brand new nobody had but them top secret stuff, the every other DAW has & they are just trying to catch up stuff...

N
Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
...Digi is like where I live, St. Louis. Great place to live, but mullets and Poison are still 'hip', not that Poison was ever 'hip' in the first place. ...
Dude...you gotta move!

Shane

Old 08-25-2007, 05:53 PM

The bright side of all this is that maybe we introduce some people to the idea of dual booting and the idea that having PT in one or more partitions is actually a very good thing

or maybe something like

Partition one, XP Optimised for PT, No AV, PT specific hardware profile. Nothing happens here but music. Period. Ever. Emphasis Added.

Partition two, XP general purpose use, Anti virus installed for web surfing. MS Office installed, Skype, ETC. This is where try out those new free RTAS instruments, Plugs and the like. And when they "break" something your serious PT Partition is uneffected. This is also where you try new versions of PT and after a month or so of evaluation you can think about updating your main partition. This is where you download updates and try them. When your satisfied they are stable all you need to do is drop the file onto your "Serious PT" desktop in partition 1 using Windows Explorer.

Partition three, This is where you install Vista and work with it. This is where you install the PT Vista update when it comes and wait for compatible versions of your plugs to be made. You can istall Cubase, Sonar whatever you want. Admire AERO and wait for solid DirectX10 drivers, printer drivers ETC.

Besides Vista compatibility there are some VERY good reasons to Multiboot.

Combine this with Acronis Disc Image and you will never have a problem with PT that will take more than 5-10 minutes to fix.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-26-2007, 03:29 AM

Your multi-boot scenerio is a good one and well laid out. Definitely add Linux to that boot scenerio. And yes, True Image is a must. It will save one hours and even days of any potential downtime.

Digidesign's view of 64 bit apps including the ram issue.

Also, if we do see Vista support on HD before LE, I can assure you, we will do some A/B native RTAS Dverb benchmark tests among others and see what's up.

Shane

Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Do you really believe that Shane?

I'm with you on the Vista performance issues, but I think that operating in a full 64-bit environment will be an improvement.