Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Default Presonus Studio One is Looking Better Every Day...

As a lifelong Pro Tools user I have to say, for the first time ever, I'm seriously considering jumping ship for Studio One.

Check out David Vignola's videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/VisionRecordingCt/videos - here's a guy who just won't be held hostage by pricing schemes and he's doing just fine without Pro Tools.

What really gets me is that Pro Tools is starting to lag behind on features. Dump my blue Digi interfaces and HD Native Card and licenses and get a pair of UAD Apollo 16x16 interfaces and start using Studio One? That'd be a tough decision considering how heavily I'm invested in Pro Tools... but it's startin' to get easier.

Avid it's time to start taking suggestions from those who matter most... your customers.

Respectfully,

Justin
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Presonus Studio One is Looking Better Every Day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
As a lifelong Pro Tools user I have to say, for the first time ever, I'm seriously considering jumping ship for Studio One.

Check out David Vignola's videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/VisionRecordingCt/videos - here's a guy who just won't be held hostage by pricing schemes and he's doing just fine without Pro Tools.

What really gets me is that Pro Tools is starting to lag behind on features. Dump my blue Digi interfaces and HD Native Card and licenses and get a pair of UAD Apollo 16x16 interfaces and start using Studio One? That'd be a tough decision considering how heavily I'm invested in Pro Tools... but it's startin' to get easier.

Avid it's time to start taking suggestions from those who matter most... your customers.

Respectfully,

Justin
Looks interesting. Does it have Eucon or will it work with the Raven?

At this point, I'm only going to move to what works with Eucon and or Raven. As it is now, Raven is PT and Logic, so Logic would be my next DAW.
Logic, DP, Cubendo work with Eucon and I already have an artist series so.

Seems logic, DP and Cubase are the next top DAW's in the market with extensive feature sets.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Its been hard for me at the beginning to dare to make the move but when you compare and realise the number of amazing ergonomic features S1 offer, the choice is finally SO EASY !!!...

They made such a good work on S1, i dont even understand why you guys super pro enginneers are not even aware about the existence of such a bomb.

Pro Tools will pay hard for all his latency im telling you.

Studio One deserves such a better place.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Presonus Studio One is Looking Better Every Day...

I just realized, I think I can use my HD Native card and attached Digi 192 analog and Digi 192 digital interfaces (blue) with the Studio One DAW software because Native supports core audio. I've never done this so might be worth checking out. Well, that'd save me a few thousand dollars and the pain of selling hardware on ebay. Can anyone confirm this?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD

Last edited by Justin1524; 02-06-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:29 PM

You can use your HD native card, but only up to 8 in and 8 out I believe.

Anymore, and you need something else.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 02-07-2015, 02:07 AM

Yes, I own HD Native/PT11 and Studio One Producer, and S1 works great with the Native card. S1 is a pretty great piece of software, and will undoubtedly get better over the next couple years. I'm starting to use it more and more. One thing to note however that may not be apparent - if you're using PT 11, that dedicated input buffer may be more important than you realize. In S1, just as in many other DAWs and PT 10/previous, there is one buffer setting for both input and output, so if you've got a session going with a few tracks and some CPU hungry plugs or VIs and you're starting to get pops and clicks and CPU issues, you'll have to raise that buffer, therefore increasing latency for any audio recording. In PT11 the output buffer is fixed high and the input buffer is variable, so you can record into huge sessions with minimal latency. Since being on PT11 I've forgotten the latency issue (when I had TDM before that I was latency free then as well) and you really forget how big an issue that can be if you haven't had to deal with it for a while. It's always sort of a harsh reminder when messing around in Logic or S1 and I have to keep at 256 or above to make everything run smoothly and then go to record something. Avid gets a lot of hate lately (deservedly so for their recent policies and strategy) but that improvement in PT11 for non HDX systems is pretty fantastic and it doesn't get much mention it seems. Just something to keep in mind when considering other DAWs.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
You can use your HD native card, but only up to 8 in and 8 out I believe.

Anymore, and you need something else.
Pro Tools|HD Native hardware supports 64 channels of I/O when using CoreAudio and ASIO compatible DAW software.

Pro Tools is my primary DAW, but I also incorporate REAPER and S1 into my workflows with my HD Native hardware at times.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-07-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyspicoli View Post
Yes, I own HD Native/PT11 and Studio One Producer, and S1 works great with the Native card. S1 is a pretty great piece of software, and will undoubtedly get better over the next couple years. I'm starting to use it more and more. One thing to note however that may not be apparent - if you're using PT 11, that dedicated input buffer may be more important than you realize. In S1, just as in many other DAWs and PT 10/previous, there is one buffer setting for both input and output, so if you've got a session going with a few tracks and some CPU hungry plugs or VIs and you're starting to get pops and clicks and CPU issues, you'll have to raise that buffer, therefore increasing latency for any audio recording. In PT11 the output buffer is fixed high and the input buffer is variable, so you can record into huge sessions with minimal latency. Since being on PT11 I've forgotten the latency issue (when I had TDM before that I was latency free then as well) and you really forget how big an issue that can be if you haven't had to deal with it for a while. It's always sort of a harsh reminder when messing around in Logic or S1 and I have to keep at 256 or above to make everything run smoothly and then go to record something. Avid gets a lot of hate lately (deservedly so for their recent policies and strategy) but that improvement in PT11 for non HDX systems is pretty fantastic and it doesn't get much mention it seems. Just something to keep in mind when considering other DAWs.
Didnt realise that, this is a massive post man.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Pro Tools|HD Native hardware supports 64 channels of I/O when using CoreAudio and ASIO compatible DAW software.

Pro Tools is my primary DAW, but I also incorporate REAPER and S1 into my workflows with my HD Native hardware at times.

Shane
That;s new. It use to be only 8 channels. I don't think a lot of people realize that.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
That;s new. It use to be only 8 channels. I don't think a lot of people realize that.
It was 8 channels back in the HD/TDM days. LE on the other hand recognized all I/O that the hardware had when using ASIO. The support for 64 channels of I/O was introduced with PT 9. A welcomed new change indeed.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit