Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM

Default When recording throough USB MIDI, first note is cut....

or missing. Any way around this? I'm recording into PT with my Motif 6 and when I press F12, PT starts recording but it always cuts off the first note thus making looping impossible unless recording the same part twice and editing the waves manually. Any other way to fix this? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Re: When recording throough USB MIDI, first note is cut....

bump
Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I learned many years ago that starting any song in PT at the start caused a number of problems. Besides sometimes not gettintg the 1st notes in, I found certain play back devices not playing the very 1st of the song,,,, kind of a hic-up?? So I ALWAYS,,, 'quantized or rubato',,,, start all songs on bar number two!! This is a little bit of a problem for using measure numbers in the piece, but this way I can bounce every song with a small amt. of pre roll time. (Just highlight a little before the song and drag to a little beyond the end of the song.) As for looping I don't use it much, but should still work?!! And of coarse with PT8 I'll have to move to Sibelius and remove the 1st bar, but that should be easy enough.
Well,,, sorry for the long post that may not help,,, but it has solved a lot of my 'STARTING' problems,, hope it helps a little??!!!
Good luck ,,,,,,, Mike
Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM

My Pro Tools certification class at Future Rhythm (same school Scott Church from Digi teaches at) always teaches their class the same thing.

Create a marker at least 1 bar into your song. Always press period, marker #, period to jump to that marker. This is the start of your song.
OR just press enter and drop PT into record as normal and now PT has 1 bar to begin recording and it'll never miss the first note or down beat. With midi merge ON you're good.

At least that works for me!

Pro Tools actually doesn't miss the first note in my experience if you zoom way in to highest resolution you should see that your note is just a bit early in anticipation of the down beat and if it's even 1 sample early then PT won't play it. Or sometimes won't record it.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
Pro Tools actually doesn't miss the first note in my experience if you zoom way in to highest resolution you should see that your note is just a bit early in anticipation of the down beat and if it's even 1 sample early then PT won't play it. Or sometimes won't record it.
This is my experience too. If you play a midi note even very fractionally before the recording starts, it won't record as the note on midi message will not be recorded.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks everybody. I'll try this once I get some time and Happy New Year to all of you guys.