Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2023, 06:24 AM

Default Modern 32 in HDX options?

I’ve been making a living for roughly 20 years using my Mac, an HD(x) system and a 192/96 io setup. I use 24 analog and 8 ADAT inputs. The catch is that I use them simultaneously. I still do band tracking. I could go 16 analog and 16 light pipe if needed. I have all the preamps I need.

My 5,1 has been souped up over the years. But I’d like to move away from it the next year or so. I realize my 192 is long in the tooth. But it still sounds ok. If I need new interfaces, I’m afraid I’m lost.

There’s soooo many ways to do things now. I looked at Carbon, but it doesn’t have enough simultaneous firepower. I guess my setup will still work with a chassis? IF I wanted to get a new interface(s), what are some options you’re using to get there? I might not even need HDX with a new Mac.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Modern 32 in HDX options?

Multiple other folks have been asking similar questions so search should help you.

If you are on HDX the MTRX II or MTRX Studio is a natural go to.

There have been multiple problems/bugs with the Avid HD driver which is disconcerting so I would not just assume things will work without problems.

If you don’t need HDX then the whole world of USB and Thunderbolt interfaces is open to you… including the MTRX Studio and MTRX II with the new Thunderbolt option card. Since that is new you can follow the new user experiences on DUC.

Otherwise Vintage King or Sweetwater websites give you a good view of what is available. RME is my favorite vendor. Lynx had some nice compact 32 channel options. When you are ready call a sales rep and talk.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:37 AM

From what I gather, I could still use the 192 and 96 IO if I use an Avid HDX chassis. Then run thunderbolt to whichever Mac I want. I would much rather have that option as opposed to having to change my converters too.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:52 AM

Yes in principle. But you should be aware of the HD driver problems and other issues people run into. Did you search DUC and look at those? An expansion chassis is not just plug and play, these can be unfortunately fragile things with Avid cards than can need some careful care and feeding.

HDX is your key decision here. If you want HDX you have no other modern option except a new Mac Pro or going to a Windows PC with PCIe slots. If you don’t want HDX then replacing this whole setup with a USB or Thunderbolt interface would seem to make more sense. I would not drive my decision there by keeping an old 192 IO box. That really seems like the tail wagging the dog.