Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Default Best upgrade from LE 8.0.5?

Hi there, I run PT LE 8.0.5 on my 15"macbook pro running lion 10.7.3

I am looking to update soon as I see there are a lot more products out there now.

I am seeking advice as to what the best option is? I am a professional musician, but i only use my own personal PT setup for demo recording, not for anything thats going to be released / used, I do that in a 'big boy' studio.

I would like to understand the differences between PT Express, PT 9 MP, PT SE and what I currently have, which is LE 8.0.5

is there any direct benefit to upgrading (apart from getting new hardware... i have the mbox 2 mini and its terrible!)

I really appreciate any advice that may be fired in my direction.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Best upgrade from LE 8.0.5?

I would recommend going to PT10. PT9 is an option too, but clip gain, real-time fades and solid performance with Lion are the upsides of 10 that are likely to make it worth it for you.

PT Express is very similar to Native, but you're "locked" to your hardware (like LE).. i.e. you can't disconnect your interface and mix with just an iLok plugged in. I think it also has limited track and busses. MP is for use with M-Audio hardware only, which may be an option but is a bit restricting if you want to change interface further down the track. SE will be a large step backwards for you from LE features-wise, so you probably wouldn't want to consider that.

But obviously it depends on your needs. However because you already have LE, a move to PT 9/10 will be a true "upgrade"... and I'm sure you'll appreciate the difference.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks very much for that insight!

Being the kind of guy that I am, I find it impossible to bring myself to upgrade to anything other than the latest version that's out. So I am pleased what you said about PT 10.

Here is the thing though. Will PT10 work on a macbook pro with an mbox? also will I need to get an iLok?

thanks again!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Yes to both questions. Unless you mean the original Mbox 1, then no.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks very much.

I'll get the pro tools 10 crossgrade package :)
Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Since you asked about an Ilok, I assume you don't have one. Also, you asked about an Mbox.

Instead of getting the crossgrade, you might consider getting the new Mbox bundled with PT9. This will give you a free upgrade to PT10. And it comes with a new Ilok. And these new Mboxes sound excellent.

You'd be spending a little more, but getting a great value for your money.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM

NST7, thanks for the great advice. That is exactly what I'm going to do!

However just out of curiosity........

pt10 vs ptexpress?

is it even worth talking about?

cheers!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganguy View Post
NST7, thanks for the great advice. That is exactly what I'm going to do!

However just out of curiosity........

pt10 vs ptexpress?

is it even worth talking about?

cheers!
PT Express has limited track count and busses, comes with fewer plugins, you can't use it with the hardware disconnected, can't change brand of interface (Avid hardware only).. I'd go with PT10 Native.

Here's a good review for more details.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ss-review.html

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 AM

excellent info! I have ordered pt9 (with free upgrade to 10) with the new mbox mini. It cost £430.

I saw a pro tools 9 MP pack with m-audio hardware for a quarter of the price though. Whats the deal there? Substandard software? or is it that hardware that makes it so cheap?

can't wait to get demoing with PT10! and hopefully this new mbox won't be as bad as the one I have now; mbox2 mini.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 AM

Pro Tools MP has it's limitations too, the biggest of which is it can only be used in conjunction with M-Audio hardware. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/ProToolsMP

Congrats on your purchase, the new Mbox line has been said to be a substantial step up from the Mbox 2 so you should notice a difference there.

Enjoy!