Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Using sends with unbalanced gear...levels?

So I have a BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer, and would like to get a couple FMR RNC's but those are all unbalanced. How do I properly use it as an insert device or send without clipping. I can change the inputs on my 002r to be unbalanced by switching to -10 db. but how do I limit the output levels? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Using sends with unbalanced gear...levels?

Let the learning begin. First off, the +4/-10 switch does not change the inputs from balanced to unbalanced. These are 2 different terms. +4/-10 refers to the level(voltage) that the input will accept without clipping. SInce some outputs(like older keyboards) are -10, that would be the proper switch setting to use. Now if you patched an external mic pre that is designed to deliver +4, then you use the +4 setting.

Now to your insert question, the manual explains it fine (you DID read the manual?) but consider a few things first. 1-the sonic max unit gets frowns from most pro engineers and IMHO, I would not use it at all. If something needs sparkle, I would rather use a plugin(the Bomb Factory Pultec EQ is really good for this). As for the RNC comps, they are great little boxes but, again, I would rather use good plugins for one reason you have not run into just yet. Latency. In the case of inserts, latency is due to the audio being converted to analog(from the digital signal, sent thru the device(in this case, the RNC) and back into protools. The D/A and A/D conversion will take somewhere around 1.2ms PLUS the latency involved in your chosen buffer setting. If it were me, unless the outboard gear is really cool(ie expensive and/or vintage), using plugins will save time and hassle and likely yeild the same or better results. Check out some good plugin bundles.

Now a great use for an RNC would be to use an external mic pre thru the RNC, into protools so you can use a little compression going in(not too much because you can always add more, but can't take it away). Having said all this, you can plug mono cables into the line ins and outs on DIGI hardware and that will make the circuit unbalanced(but it will likely work just fine if your levels are correct). Unbalanced cables don't really sound any different until you get over 18-20' when they start to lose high frequencies.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave