Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Is The Firewire Bridge Failure A Common Digi 002R Problem?

This literally JUST happened this afternoon after essentially a year of unproblematic operation. The FIREWIRE light on the front of the unit will either BLINK or not TURN ON AT ALL. When opening up Pro-Tools, the application will take forever to load. If it DOES "successfully" load, the machine will LITERALLY TURN OFF!

The FIREWIRE LIGHT on the BACK OF THE UNIT is ON w/o issue, however, the one in the front will either BLINK or NOT TURN ON when OPENING UP PT. I'm really fed up w/PT at the moment w/all of error messages, hardware issues, etc. Especially after a problem free run w/my Digi 001 P4 System.

I DID SEE and commented on a similar thread and just wanted to clarify that I have the same issue. Apparently Digi wants $350 to fix this, which is just a waste IMO, b/c I may be plauged w/the Harness issue later (thus bumping up the cost). I have an MBOX2 on loan from the school where I teach at to hold me over for a few projects, but am considering (MAYBE) upgrading to an 003 or jumping ship and getting a MAC w/LOGIC.

PLEASE HELP!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Is The Firewire Bridge Failure A Common Digi 002R Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
This literally JUST happened this afternoon after essentially a year of unproblematic operation. The FIREWIRE light on the front of the unit will either BLINK or not TURN ON AT ALL. When opening up Pro-Tools, the application will take forever to load. If it DOES "successfully" load, the machine will LITERALLY TURN OFF!

The FIREWIRE LIGHT on the BACK OF THE UNIT is ON w/o issue, however, the one in the front will either BLINK or NOT TURN ON when OPENING UP PT. I'm really fed up w/PT at the moment w/all of error messages, hardware issues, etc. Especially after a problem free run w/my Digi 001 P4 System.

I DID SEE and commented on a similar thread and just wanted to clarify that I have the same issue. Apparently Digi wants $350 to fix this, which is just a waste IMO, b/c I may be plauged w/the Harness issue later (thus bumping up the cost). I have an MBOX2 on loan from the school where I teach at to hold me over for a few projects, but am considering (MAYBE) upgrading to an 003 or jumping ship and getting a MAC w/LOGIC.

PLEASE HELP!
While its not unheard of I dont think I would call it a common problem either. I think the FW bridge is a replacable board so you might be able to DIY it and save some money.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-16-2009, 06:51 PM

Failure IS common if you are in the habit of hot-swapping it. ALWAYS turn everything off before you swap a fw cable.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Failure IS common if you are in the habit of hot-swapping it. ALWAYS turn everything off before you swap a fw cable.
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 PM

I've never hot swapped it. My 002R has been connected to the computer since the first day I set it up via Firewire. I will do some research on purchasing the board, but am really considering the last two options (upgrading to an 003, or going over to Logic). I'm just thankful I have an MBox2 on me to hold me over.

Since I upgraded, it always seems like "there's always something . . ."
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Weirdddddd! I left my unit off for a day and had my MBOX2 plugged in to use as a substitute for some client sessions. Interestingly enough (out of frustration as the MBOX2 emits a high frequency pitch noise to other equpiment, like my Roland M120 Mixer, which is a pain while recording using that as a means to Monitor), AFTER A DAY OF BEING OFF, THE 002R MYSTERIOUSLY WORKS AS NORMAL AGAIN!

What do you think happened here? My Recording Studio's ventilation isn't the best, and in NYC, it hasn't been hot all summer. Do you think this may have had an effect (I leave the AC running for an hour before a session and turn it on/off intermittently for noise reasons).

DO YOU THINK MY 002R IS NOW TOAST and that its a matter of time for which I should be saving up for a replacement 003R?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Weirdddddd! I left my unit off for a day and had my MBOX2 plugged in to use as a substitute for some client sessions. Interestingly enough (out of frustration as the MBOX2 emits a high frequency pitch noise to other equpiment, like my Roland M120 Mixer, which is a pain while recording using that as a means to Monitor), AFTER A DAY OF BEING OFF, THE 002R MYSTERIOUSLY WORKS AS NORMAL AGAIN!

What do you think happened here? My Recording Studio's ventilation isn't the best, and in NYC, it hasn't been hot all summer. Do you think this may have had an effect (I leave the AC running for an hour before a session and turn it on/off intermittently for noise reasons).

DO YOU THINK MY 002R IS NOW TOAST and that its a matter of time for which I should be saving up for a replacement 003R?
It may have got hot or it may have simply needed a reboot. I tend to leave mine on 24/7 and I'm in the midwest with no AC at all. I do reboot the unit a couple times a week I suppose and then may go a week or two without touching the power switch.

You have any brownouts or powers urges lately? that may have an effect. I would keep an eye on it for a while. Any device with Firmware seems to enjoy being powercycled one and a while.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Well, It worked for an hour and now PLAYBACK OF SESSIONS ARE STOPPING AND HICCUPING MID SESSION A LOT. Clearly its Firewire communication problems. I am using the onboard Firewire of my P5K, which has never presented a problem before.

Furthermore, I DID HAVE A BLACKOUT RECENTLY, but my PC and all equipment are plugged into surge protectors (I should invest in Battery Backup). You think this may have fried my 002? The Blackout was almost two weeks ago, but the 002 had been working FINE since then. It wasn't until yesterday that I had this problem.

I only mentioned the temperature b/c it may be simply coincidental that today was only the second day in which the temp went over 90 this summer out here in NYC.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Well, It worked for an hour and now PLAYBACK OF SESSIONS ARE STOPPING AND HICCUPING MID SESSION A LOT. Clearly its Firewire communication problems. I am using the onboard Firewire of my P5K, which has never presented a problem before.
have you tried rebooting it? does that help? What error messages are you getting. "Cannot Communicate with Digidesign hardware" or "DAE 1115"?

Quote:
Furthermore, I DID HAVE A BLACKOUT RECENTLY, but my PC and all equipment are plugged into surge protectors (I should invest in Battery Backup). You think this may have fried my 002? The Blackout was almost two weeks ago, but the 002 had been working FINE since then. It wasn't until yesterday that I had this problem.

I only mentioned the temperature b/c it may be simply coincidental that today was only the second day in which the temp went over 90 this summer out here in NYC.
I was throwing out temp since I haven't had a issue with it even up to around 100. We all know that electronics prefer cooler temps though. Are you running a actual surge suppressor like a Monster or Furman or generic "Power Strip's"? I don't have much faith in the surge suppressers in Power strips. A battery backup would be a wise investment.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 AM

Yes, IT DOES NOT GIVE ME CANNOT COMMUNICATE ERRORS, Pro-Tools DOES load. It may crash right after the session ALMOST LOADS (get the generic blank PT screen where you load up a session or create a new one). If it does load, playback will stop and get stuck in a certain place (i.e. 4 | 3 |075 ), or THE ENTIRE MACHINE WILL REBOOT.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think I'm going to head out to Sam Ash today and charge and 003, pay it off w/upcoming sessions. I want no part of this POWER HARNESS or FIREWIRE BRIDGE ISSUE. I've had Roland Equipment (recording equipment too) last 10+ years w/o issue. This just shouldn't be happening.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core