Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Default My HD rig never sounded better!

I know I'm probably late with this one. However, I've gotta' tell somebody! I just upgraded my monitors in my studio with Dynaudio BM15A's. The are amazing monitors. I had been using KRK V8's i.e. first generation, for about 8 years and they were great. However, they no longer have replacement woofers for them. So, I decided to upgrade. These things are amazing. My high-end clarity is amazing. I added a Tannoy TS12 sub too.

Randy
www.reflectiveproductionsandrecording.com
Mac Pro Early 2009 2.66 Quad 16gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.8, HD6 Accel, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Euphonix MC Transport, Logic 9 Studio, Apogee Big Ben, Eight HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Tube Tech CL1B, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Manley Slam!, ELOP, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2's & Nails, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Black Lion, Warm Audio, Dynaudio
Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Talking Re: My HD rig never sounded better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 View Post
I know I'm probably late with this one. However, I've gotta' tell somebody! I just upgraded my monitors in my studio with Dynaudio BM15A's. The are amazing monitors. I had been using KRK V8's i.e. first generation, for about 8 years and they were great. However, they no longer have replacement woofers for them. So, I decided to upgrade. These things are amazing. My high-end clarity is amazing. I added a Tannoy TS12 sub too.

Randy
www.reflectiveproductionsandrecording.com

Randy,

The first time I heard these I almost peed my pants and creamed my shorts. I couldn't afford the 15's so I settled for the BM5A's and I paired them with the Tannoy TS10. You're right, they are amazing. This setup will last you a life time.

www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Default Re: My HD rig never sounded better!

Congrats - I've heard good things about them.

The best sounding monitors probably aren't the best mixing monitors. Take Genelecs, for instance. They make EVERYTHING sound good. Because of that it more difficult to find problem areas and very easy to prematurely finish your mix. "Mix sounds damn good - I'm done!" What you want is accuracy. I'm not saying the Dynaudios aren't accurate.

I use Adams at home, Genelecs at work. CDs sound better (perhaps "more exciting" is the better word) but I can find problems in my mixes at home much faster and with much more accuracy, and therefore my mixes translate better. Ideally, I'd have both -- I'd mix on the Adams and use the Gennies for client playback.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 AM

I use BM6A's myself, and mixing is way more accurate to my ears and "true" when played on regular stereos and car audio systems when I mix on those.

Formerly, I was using Mackie HR824's and they sounded great, but frequently I had to go back and remix a bit because they have a lot of bottom end to them that normal stereos don't.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 AM

+1 on the BM6A's
Joe
Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Talking Re: My HD rig never sounded better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Congrats - I've heard good things about them.

The best sounding monitors probably aren't the best mixing monitors. Take Genelecs, for instance. They make EVERYTHING sound good. Because of that it more difficult to find problem areas and very easy to prematurely finish your mix. "Mix sounds damn good - I'm done!" What you want is accuracy. I'm not saying the Dynaudios aren't accurate.

I use Adams at home, Genelecs at work. CDs sound better (perhaps "more exciting" is the better word) but I can find problems in my mixes at home much faster and with much more accuracy, and therefore my mixes translate better. Ideally, I'd have both -- I'd mix on the Adams and use the Gennies for client playback.

Like Chris said below, when mixing on these chances are you will not have to tweak your mixes. However, I have to agree with your quote above "Mix sounds damn good - I'm done!"...... That's why I've kept my trusty auratones
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Dynaudio BM15 passives here. Love em. Ive got to know them very well. i dont even do a car check these days.

On my 3rd replacement driver, and 2nd replacement tweeter.
Thats what happens when ya amp is way too powerful for the speakers. (Yamaha P5000S)
Was the amp of choice when i was testing in this room.
Cheers
dave

Last edited by blackbirdstudio; 03-12-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: wrong model number
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM

BM-15A's are my hands down favorite. I never had a speaker translate so well to all systems. Bob Clearmountain also made the switch from KRK's to the BM-15A.

JSR
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
BM-15A's are my hands down favorite. I never had a speaker translate so well to all systems. Bob Clearmountain also made the switch from KRK's to the BM-15A.

JSR
Just getting adjusted to a pair of AIR15's. I guess they are the BM15a's "first cousin" The more I use them, the better I like them. Was not sure at first... "was not a love a first hear". Have added an Airbase12, and learning that as well. I do keep a couple of Avantones(sorta Auratones) a pushbutton away, for a reality check. Have also used BM6a's quite a bit and they are great. SB
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 AM

sold my dynaudio bm15a 4 months ago and upgraded to genelec 8050.the dynaudios were great but i can compare listening to the dynaudios to genelecs like when you drive a mustang(dynaudio bm15a) on the highway fast its great but when you drive a porsche(genelec 8050)on the highway you are traveling fast but its a different type of speed like better handling,no outside noise,better suspension and a far better experience.just my 2 cents
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios