Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2018, 04:13 AM

Default New to Pro Tools, drum buss question

Hello, I'm a long time Cubase user who has had to migrate over to Pro Tools 2018 for a project.

In Cubase to set up my drum group I just send my individual drums over to a single Stereo Drum buss track (In Cubase they call it a 'Group Track')

Once done, I can solo any individual drum or the whole group with just one press of the solo button. It'll also include any active inserts or sends on the drum buss.

(See Pic 'Cubase Drums')

In Pro Tools, it seems to solo an individual drum in a buss, I have to solo the drum buss track, the individual drum you want and then also the effects buss. So, three solo button presses, rather than one.
(See Pic 'Pro Tools Drums')

If this is the case, then that's fine, I'll just get used to it, I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing everything in a long winded way! Am I missing anything?

Many thanks,

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubase Drums.jpg (67.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ProTools drums.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 04:28 AM

Default Re: New to Pro Tools, drum buss question

Ctrl+click the drum buss to solo-safe it. That way, it'll always pass audio.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Ctrl+click the drum buss to solo-safe it. That way, it'll always pass audio.

Excellent! So if I solo safe all my busses and effects, it'll work just like Cubase.
Thank you very much :)
Old 05-28-2018, 04:50 AM

My pleasure. Enjoy.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cloud View Post
Excellent! So if I solo safe all my busses and effects, it'll work just like Cubase.
Thank you very much :)
Hi Big Cloud, yes as mentioned by the other poster, 'solo-safe' is the way to go with pro Tools.

I migrated from Cubase to Using Pro Tools full time in about 2005, & I still find this process annoying compared to Cubase & Logic, where soloing a track *automatically* solos any busses the tracks use (& vice versa).

I've given up hoping AVID will change the default behaviour of this, & have just learned to live with it, as I find the other advantages of PT outweigh this aggravation

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Hi Big Cloud, yes as mentioned by the other poster, 'solo-safe' is the way to go with pro Tools.

I migrated from Cubase to Using Pro Tools full time in about 2005, & I still find this process annoying compared to Cubase & Logic, where soloing a track *automatically* solos any busses the tracks use (& vice versa).

I've given up hoping AVID will change the default behaviour of this, & have just learned to live with it, as I find the other advantages of PT outweigh this aggravation
Hi Ru,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. I'm starting work at a place that uses Pro Tools exclusively , so I need to get up to speed, but Cubase is my first love :)
A lot of things about Pro Tools I'm finding are great, I'm really enjoying using it, but obviously still finding a few little niggles here and there.

A big surprise I've found is that Pro Tools seemingly has no capacity for Midi drum maps. (Unless I'm missing it?) So programming a virtual drum kit for example is way easier in Cubase, but for Audio stuff, Pro Tools seems very nice. (Now I've discovered solo - safe anyway!)
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cloud View Post
Hi Ru,

A big surprise I've found is that Pro Tools seemingly has no capacity for Midi drum maps. (Unless I'm missing it?) So programming a virtual drum kit for example is way easier in Cubase, but for Audio stuff, Pro Tools seems very nice. (Now I've discovered solo - safe anyway!)
..yes thats another annoyance ! No Idea why this hasn't been added either...i know its a cliche, but I think both bits of software still betray their roots...Cubase was a midi/composing platform that added Audio...& pro Tools was an Audio platform that added midi/Virutal-instruments....neither have 100% caught up with all the features of the other..

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 AM

FYI, solo safe'ing is the way all consoles have worked for decades.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
FYI, solo safe'ing is the way all consoles have worked for decades.
aggghh...this was the answer that I got 10 years ago too ! Pro Tools is *software* & not hardware, thus should be able to do simple things that old 60's analog stuff can't...the whole 'Solo safe' paradigm is a classic example of something that can easily be improved upon by software, as every single other DAW did.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
aggghh...this was the answer that I got 10 years ago too ! Pro Tools is *software* & not hardware, thus should be able to do simple things that old 60's analog stuff can't...the whole 'Solo safe' paradigm is a classic example of something that can easily be improved upon by software, as every single other DAW did.
I use AFL/PFL when SIP isn't appropriate. Also in consoles for decades.

I agree it would cool for PT to be "smart" and auto choose SIP or AFL based on track type. That's a worthy feature request IMO and it's been made.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.