Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Default Most cost-effective way to move to Thunderbolt w HD Native PCIe card?

Hi all,

I had to move to a MacBook Pro (8core i9, 32 gb ram) during the pandemic since we were able to leave brooklyn for a while. It's a Thunderbolt 3 machine and now I'm back home and would rather use it than my 5,1 cheesegrater. I now have access to my HD Native PCIe card, and also a UAD QUAD PCIe card.

So my question is, what is the most cost-effect and simplest way to use these cards in my new system.

Should I buy a used Magma EB-3T w a TB2-TB3 adapter? Is it true that the HD Native card would not benefit from the additional throughput of the TB3?

By simplest, i mean avoid selling the HD Native card first. (I may sell the UAD card so I'm also open to a one-slot solution.)

Am I better off going with the Avid/Sonnet TB3 chassis?

Thanks in advance.

Best
b

Actual system info:

PT Ultimate 2020.5
2019 MacBook Pro 2.3 ghz 8-core i9, Mac OSX 10.15.5, 32 GB ram, Radeon Pro Vega 20
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.46, 24Gb RAM, Mac OSX 10.14.6, SSD boot drive, SSD sample drive
Neve 8816, HD Native PCIe, UAD Apollo Twin X Duo, Apogee DA-16X, Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1, 2 UAD Firewire Quad Satellite

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 07-28-2020, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Most cost-effective way to move to Thunderbolt w HD Native PCIe card?

I would buy a used Avid Thunderbolt HD box and use a Apple Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Compact, quiet, more portable. Just seems a little hard to find used now. $999 new.

I would not use an external chassis and adapter unless you know for sure that somebody has that exact config working.

Sounds like you may not need the UAD. But if you did I'd consider buying a UAD Satellite Thunderbolt 3.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Most cost-effective way to move to Thunderbolt w HD Native PCIe card?

Thanks, Darryl, as always for your advice.

So you would buy a used TB HD Native over a new Avid HDX chassis. It's only $499 and new.

I hear you about chassis configurations but I would hope that the Avid product would just work. (I can't believe i just said that about an Avid product!)

best
b

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Old 07-28-2020, 09:26 PM

... I was editing my post above.

My advice was most largely based on not wanting to see you swap a PCIe card backwards and forwards, and the Avid HD Thunderbolt is just nice and compact and more portable and quiet.

And yes I'd hope the HDX Box works... HD Native PCIe cards are not officially supported in those chassis but folks are using them and pretty sure it's been reported here. I was more worried about the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter worked OK with that. It should hopefully work. But I'd want to hear that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
So you would buy a used TB HD Native over a new Avid HDX chassis.
I would too. It would also leave your old system intact, you only need to swap cable from interfaces to the TB box or back to old system.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 AM

Years ago I put my HD Native PCIe card into an Akitio PCIe to Thunderbolt expansion chassis, it's been running fine on two different Mac Mini's.

The cost I'm seeing right now for a Thunderbolt 2 box is $190.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:35 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benrubin.com

------------
Old 11-19-2020, 12:35 PM

Hi Ben,

I'm just starting to look at a move from a Mac Pro to a new Mac Mini and am looking at a chassis for our HD Native PCIe card.

Did you get anywhere with your setup?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 11-19-2020, 01:22 PM

Hey Mike,

Despite some of the good advice on here, I decided to go with the Avid HDX TB3 Chassis because I wanted to be able to put the card back in my 5,1 Mac Pro if I had to open a really old session or something.

I have to say it has been working perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benrubin.com

------------