Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-19-2002, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Wide stereo image.

Doc, I really like the idea of widening the music within a post mix, and having the music drop a bit in mono. I've been doing docos for a couple of years, music, voice over, FX, dialogue editing and final mix, and that never occurred to me! It's always a bit of an effort to get the whole mix so that the music is there but not dominating; I'm going to try this on the project I'm starting next week......hopefully I'll have 32 tracks before I'm finished it...... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 10:32 AM

Going back the wide vocal. I have enjoyed using a Vox track in the verses and recording a double for the choruses to beef it up.

I run these through a Waves super tap 2 tap echo and pan the echop wide. The trick to clarity then seems to be timing the echo coreectly and using enough so that it is just barely heard.

I like it.

Robert

ps I agre about the negative results with an S1. I hardly use it at all now and my mixes seem tighter.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:26 PM

Bunting Ho,
Let me know how you go. The other advantage to this is that the centre stage of the music mix is less dominating and allows yet further room for the dialogue.
If you wrote the music, great, if you didn't, don't tell the artist what you did and they'll be very happy.
I had a post prod client here once (TV commercial) with the music artist. They were really happy with the result and asked how I achieved the fullness. When I told them the basics, the artist said, "You did WHAT to my music??". If I hadn't told them, the artist would've been happy that the music was louder and 'bigger'. The client (who was paying the bills) was very happy though so we went with it.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:02 PM

Just having fun making those little folder icons yellow. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2002, 03:52 AM

I tried a similar technique like ekko describes above on a string section; I panned the strings hard L and R, I then took a duplicated mono track of the strings and flipped the phase. When you bring up the mono track (which is placed dead centre) it will 'push' the stereo track outside, so you get a real wide audio picture. The problem was mono compatibility, the track would either just dissapear or certain voices would get lost.
I just got the DUY Everpack yesterday, the DUY Wide is really happening, it's extremely easy to use and does a perfect job of widening the tracks/mix. It also seems to be mono compatible (just quickly tried it a minute ago). I understand some people use it across the whole mix, should work if you apply it in small doses.

Andi
Old 07-30-2002, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Generally, I don't use them on the whole mix but sometimes they can work well on individual mixes.

One area where I have found the S1 very useful is in broadcast post. I recently mastered a TV commercial and used the S1 on the music track set very wide. I was able to mix the music louder without effecting the impact of the dialogue (which I deessed, eq'd and L1'd). When the ad was heard on a ProLogic system, the surround channels were quite active and very effective. In stereo, the dialogue was clear and distinct and the music enveloped you. In mono, the music was a little lower keeping the focus on the dialogue.
The client was very happy and the ad sounded great on TV.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Man, this is awsome. I do audio for TV spots everyday and never found a good use for my S1. I can't wait to give this a whirl!!
Old 08-04-2002, 11:47 PM

I like the slap the waves s1 after a verb on an aux, that is run the verb only through the s1. or a delay, or if I happen to be going mental with an affect like the mondo mod I'll try it there as well.... I think the effect it has on a good verb can't be beat. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2002, 11:37 PM

audio junkie,

Try the same thing with two verbs. Use the S1 on one and no S1 on the other. Pan the un S1'd verb in a bit, say left and right 64, and drop it by 3dB. You should get a really full verb sound which doesn't get in the way.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 AM

If you want to widen a hi-hat (close mic) or cymbal (mono overhead) track try this simple procedure:

TIP #1
1) Duplicate the track
2) Pan the original hard left and the new track hard right
3) On the new track grab the PitchShift plug from the Digirack and apply it to the region (Edit View) as an AudioSuite file with a setting of +1 semitone

I hav'ent experienced any phasing what so ever.

This trick applies to a number of applications with significant results,but may require different pitch increments to achieve the desired effect without phasing.

TIP#2
Also, duplicating a guitar track and nudging (Edit View) the dup +1 sample really, makes an incredible difference in that it allows separation between the two tracks...again,no phasing.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:00 AM

Quote:
I hav'ent experienced any phasing what so ever.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You wont hear a guitar-chorus type of phasing, but a skewing of the freqs, with some cancelled, some boosted.
This is a guaranteed effect of your techniques.
Check it in mono, it will be more obvious.
When I want this wide effect, I record the performance two times and pan. Very little phasing. (This can also phase if the dub is too perfect.)