Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-30-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Can’t start PT12

Lately I have been getting an error message at start-up that is preventing me from using Pro Tools 12. It is
“Pro Tools Hardware is either not installed or is used by another program.”

I have never had any Pro Tools hardware, and since I bought this system new I think I can say that none has ever been on this system. This is a dedicated windows computer. It has only been used for studio purposes, and has never had any software other than Pro Tolls and Universal Audio software (Console for Apollo and related plug-ins) and a few instrument VI’s.
Nothing has been added in about a year, yet this problem has only showed up this week. The only change in operation at this time is plugging it into the internet to send a couple projects this week. Other than that, This computer is NEVER on the internet except in the instances to get software downloads.
I have also noticed that at boot-up I now get a message saying the system is not connected to the intetnet, which of course it isn’t, but I never received even that before this week. So I’m thinking that something has been added to the boot file that wants to get connected, and that possibly something else got added as well that causes the conflict. At first, I could just start again and the problem could disappear, but this morning even that doesn’t work. It is possible that Windows has auto updated, a situation that has happened on my other home computer which causes Pro Tools to run REALLY slow. But that one is Win 7, and the studio system is Win 10, so I don’t know if there’s any similarity.
Anyone have any ideas as to what to do about this?

I would love for Avid to fix this, but I’m still struggling with a different problem I submitted to them over a year ago.

system information
Winows 10
Processor type intel core i7
Processor speed 4501.41 mhz
Installed memory 16384
Old 11-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Can’t start PT12

It's not looking for "Pro Tools" hardware, just an audio interface. You've probably had a Windows Update, you can check that in Settings. Also, go to Control Panel>Sounds and make sure your Apollo is NOT the default Playback and Recording device make sure it's your onboard soundcard. Then, hold down the "N" key as you start Pro Tools and the Playback Engine dialogue should pop up and you can choose your Apollo there.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 PM

Well, sure enough, there are Windows updates installed within the last week. (sneaky ol’ Microsoft dudes)
I have uninstalled those, and now...
My iLok will only work if I’m online, and...
a NEW error message now says “Pro Tools Perpetual could not be loaded. Contact the publisher.
DLL mfc120u.dll cannot be loaded.”

Gee...I sure miss tape.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Oh, and trying the “N” button trick.....updates Native Access(!)
Old 11-30-2019, 03:57 PM

Well, it seems the general solution is always “remove and re-install.” The iLok thing seems to be helped by going into Windows/Services and making it delayed automatic start, which I now recall doing on my laptop a couple years ago.
BTW, if I start trying to enlarge the screen image for readability ( glasses going bad) Pro Tools doesn’t seem to like that.
So, all this collective support talent can lend its attention to people with real problems.
Thanks