Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Default What is up with AIR these days?

Over the past 1-2 years I have contacted AIR reporting bugs with some of the VI's, most with Structure, Transfuser and Hybrid3. Their tech people respond, sometimes asking for more info, which I've provided. In every case they've agreed with the issue. Then, all communication just seems to stop. And I've seen nothing done to fix any of the problems either. My last report to them on an issue was well over 8 months ago, and after 3 or 4 emails with tech support, mostly me supplying them with some screen shots, I've had nothing but silence.

Others have reported similar treatment on the AIR user forums. Is AIR abandoning its users or its products? They used to be so responsive. Now, I'm beginning to wonder. Does anyone know what's going on with them?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Re: What is up with AIR these days?

With the prices they are selling their products nowadays I don't think they have much to pay tech support or additional development. Kinda sad because the creative collection is terrific, I use it a lot here
Old 01-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Honestly, the main developers left when they were sold from Avid to InMusic. Actually, that was the second exodus. The first happened when Avid was slimming down because they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

So there's just a shell of a team of "maintainers" left.

(many of the main developers migrated to UJAM or were part of the founding of that company)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
With the prices they are selling their products nowadays I don't think they have much to pay tech support or additional development. Kinda sad because the creative collection is terrific, I use it a lot here

I use their stuff a lot too. But they’re going to lose their loyalty if they don’t get their act together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
(many of the main developers migrated to UJAM or were part of the founding of that company)
UJAM stuff is far less appealing to me than the AIR instruments, very simplistic use but almost no control over the mixing process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I use their stuff a lot too. But they’re going to lose their loyalty if they don’t get their act together.
They don't make much new stuff now so loyalty must be a rare term in their vocabulary.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Nearly the whole plugins got just add-ons when buying inMusic hardware (Akai, M-Audio...).
If i remember correctly someone from AiR said on Twitter that there is something new in the pipeline. But that was a year ago...
I like their VIs very much and they are always in my sessions, especially Loom2, Structure, Transfuser and Mini Grand.

Still hope that they do something new!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 01-22-2019, 11:58 AM

I don’t think their website and non-standard approach to user accounts and downloads/upgrades helps ... I haven’t updated for some time now!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
I don’t think their website and non-standard approach to user accounts and downloads/upgrades helps ... I haven’t updated for some time now!

You got that right! Their download/upgrade system is horrible!

But, like many here, I really like their VIs, especially Loom, Vacuum Pro, Hybrid3, Transfuser and Structure. But, if they don't pay attention to feedback from their longtime loyal users, they will lose out. I'm getting tired of waiting for bug fixes that have long been reported by myself and others, as well as much needed performance improvements...long, long overdue!

I hope someone at AIR is paying attention! We WANT to use your stuff...but you NEED to listen and perform!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:14 PM

What issues are you having? I haven't had any hiccups with AIR in several years(ever since we had to manually link the .BIG folders with incorrect instructions)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What issues are you having? I haven't had any hiccups with AIR in several years(ever since we had to manually link the .BIG folders with incorrect instructions)

Just saw this, Dave. Its not so much "hiccups" as it is certain features not working. Here's just a few

Structure: 1. You can't name the Smart Knobs anymore. It automatically assigns the name to whatever you're attaching it to...which is useless. I've reported it 3 times now, and still no action to fix this. You used to be able to name them. 2. If you edit an existing patch, you can't rename and save it.

3. There is not "duplicate layer" option if you want to duplicate a sample layer. Very annoying if you set loop points across multiple samples and then want to duplicate the layer to add depth to the sound. (this isn't an "error" but a feature that's been requested multiple times.

There's a few other issues with Structure, but these are the biggest.

4. Transfuser - Some things are missing. For example, if you use the Gater effect, there's supposed to be some 32 presets in a pull down menu. Well, the pulldown menu does show 1-32...but there are no corresponding presets. I've reported this twice now, most recently in September, and STILL nothing has been done other than they told me they reproduced the problem. There's a couple of other spots where presets aren't showing up.

5. A while back I had purchased one of the expansion packs for Vacuum Pro called "Fresh Air". For some reason it would not install. I contacted AIR and to their credit, one of their tech guys spent an hour with me on the phone trying to get it to install, but to no avail. I finally gave up and requested a refund...TWICE. Never heard back or got my refund. Later, a friend saw my issue and sent me his copy, which installed perfectly. I felt no guilt as I had already paid for it and AIR had my money!

There have been several feature requests made too, with no responses. Its like they've abandon their products or something. Hence my post