Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools too complicated

Hang in there...it IS complicated, that's why it's called "Pro" Tools not "Easy to Use for an Amateur" Tools.

The reason I LIKE Pro Tools is that it is complicated like a real old-fashioned studio, you do the routing, etc. Lot of the other almost cartoonish looking DAWS I looked at were too unlike a studio board, but this also can work against a beginner without a background in analog recording.

Like everyone says, lots of Youtube tutorials...watch them!

Also I recommend of all things "Pro Tools for Dummies" which is better than the Avid course material. It makes things much easier to understand.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emid View Post
- It will frustrate you, depress you and
... obsess you. Yes, I see your point...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB13KOS View Post
Also I recommend of all things "Pro Tools for Dummies" which is better than the Avid course material.
Sounds like a very good recommendation, thank you.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:

The reason I LIKE Pro Tools is that it is complicated like a real old-fashioned studio, you do the routing, etc. Lot of the other almost cartoonish looking DAWS I looked at were too unlike a studio board, but this also can work against a beginner without a background in analog recording.
OR coming from a relatively unpopular work flow, I will add. I find them being lucky who started with a standard DAW like PT, Cubase or Logic. It is less hassling to migrate to any other DAW due to technical similarities.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Hang in there...it IS complicated, that's why it's called "Pro" Tools not "Easy to Use for an Amateur" Tools.
Just to diverge a bit, the "Pro" comes from Production Tools. Prior to that it was Sound Tools.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 PM

You'll be glad you stuck with Pro Tools. There are many other DAW's out there and most are way too cluttered with annoying icons and windows everywhere, etc etc. It will definitely be a learning curve, and you will be forced to play computer tech as well, but today there are zillions of YouTube videos and other avenues to help you get started and on your way. Just get into it and you'll be fine. This forum is also a great place for help, so keep reading it.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 PM

THIS is awesome. We all genuinely want to help each other. I did a few PT training apps for my cell and watched the car to and from work. Well. Listened. But then watched on breaks. 😝 someone posted that it "takes" from you for a bit as you adjust your learning curve, but then it gives! So true. You are going to have to let us all know how you do. Each person here is part of my own teaching team and I can assure you after being in analog from 1980 till 3 years ago (with some tape digital) I wonder now how I ever used tape!
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
You are going to have to let us all know how you do.
I will, promised. All I can tell so far is, I followed DMB13KOS's advice and bought "Pro Tools for dummies" by Jeff Strong. I've just started the reading.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 AM

Don't forget hands on too☺️
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Just to diverge a bit, the "Pro" comes from Production Tools. Prior to that it was Sound Tools.

Shane
I stand corrected!