Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Re: New Plugin Alliance plugin - SSL?

I just don't know why Brainworx didn't choose to incorporate the changes into the standard E & G strips. All that had to do was add a "Legacy" mode and it could save us the pain of having the older strips kicking around.

However, it is what it is.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
I just don't know why Brainworx didn't choose to incorporate the changes into the standard E & G strips. All that had to do was add a "Legacy" mode and it could save us the pain of having the older strips kicking around.

A guess on my part would be it has something to do with the licensing deal worked out between Dirk and SSL. This would explain why PA is no longer selling the original E & G strips but supposedly will maintain them. For however long that goes is anybody's guess.

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post

That would have been a more 'elegant' approach. I feel kind of stupid for having bought E, G (and N) and now, barely a year later, I have to pay another fifty bucks for an SSL approved update?

Worse still, all that marketing mojo and the Slutz discussions are giving me the feeling my 'old' E & G are now inferior, outdated and worthless.

I can't go for that. No can do. I'm resisting Slutz syndrome and up-date anxiety! Maybe later, let's see what happens with the next voucher...

I did however buy the Townhouse. I like SSL style bus(s) compression and tried the demo in a couple of mixes. Townhouse brings a lovely, unique kind of flavor to the SSL emulations table. The wet/dry control and especially the SC filter are very useful features.

100 €uro bucks with Heavy Hitter discount...

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 07-25-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
That would have been a more 'elegant' approach. I feel kind of stupid for having bought E, G (and N) and now, barely a year later, I have to pay another fifty bucks for an SSL approved update?

Worse still, all that marketing mojo and the Slutz discussions are giving me the feeling my 'old' E & G are now inferior, outdated and worthless.

I can't go for that. No can do. I'm resisting Slutz syndrome and up-date anxiety! Maybe later, let's see what happens with the next voucher...

I did however buy the Townhouse. I like SSL style bus(s) compression and tried the demo in a couple of mixes. Townhouse brings a lovely, unique kind of flavor to the SSL emulations table. The wet/dry control and especially the SC filter are very useful features.

100 €uro bucks with Heavy Hitter discount...

T
Speaking of GS have you noticed in one of the threads over there that Dirk has said in this thread in post 719 https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...lugins-24.html
"If we decide to change these plugins it will not be a matter of days, but a few months. If product management decides to do so they need to roll this into our release calendar and priority task lists for the dev team.

Just a little feedback for you, to show you how software companies typically work once teams are involved.

That said, I am not even sure this will be done, but if it will, we'll announce any updates via our newsletters and the web sites.

Dirk."

This is in response to those who've posted about miscalibration of the metering and knobs. We're not asking for changes but bug fixes. Isn't that what beta releases are for? Seems like PA is ignoring what people are finding.

QAPLA!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

This is in response to those who've posted about miscalibration of the metering and knobs. We're not asking for changes but bug fixes. Isn't that what beta releases are for? Seems like PA is ignoring what people are finding.
As I understand it the discrepancies between the numbers and the actual frequencies affected with the EQ are an aspect of the modelling and a feature rather than a bug.
In a way I kind of like that approach as it forces me to use my ears rather than my eyes. I think that's one of the inherent properties of the whole channelstrip emulation thing.

The metering is another thing altogether but it doesn't really bother me that much, I don't really use them anyway to keep an eye (sic) on my levels.
More importantly the GR meter seems to be pretty accurate.

I can certainly see how 'fixing' the calibration/metering would involve a major revision of the code which will take some time.

All that being said, maybe Dirk is not the best person to handle customer communications for Bx...

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
As I understand it the discrepancies between the numbers and the actual frequencies affected with the EQ are an aspect of the modelling and a feature rather than a bug.
In a way I kind of like that approach as it forces me to use my ears rather than my eyes. I think that's one of the inherent properties of the whole channelstrip emulation thing.

The metering is another thing altogether but it doesn't really bother me that much, I don't really use them anyway to keep an eye (sic) on my levels.
More importantly the GR meter seems to be pretty accurate.

I can certainly see how 'fixing' the calibration/metering would involve a major revision of the code which will take some time.

All that being said, maybe Dirk is not the best person to handle customer communications for Bx...

T
That last statement - you got that right.

I have to disagree with your understanding regarding the discrepancy between the knob numbers and actual frequency affected. I see it as a bug; there's slavishly modelling something and then there's accuracy of reading.

QAPLA!
Old 07-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
A guess on my part would be it has something to do with the licensing deal worked out between Dirk and SSL. This would explain why PA is no longer selling the original E & G strips but supposedly will maintain them. For however long that goes is anybody's guess.
It's like a company making a soda that tastes almost exactly like Coke then getting Coca Cola to say it's the closest thing to it and there you go......if you haven't already bought the real SSL brand channelstrip, you should make the investment, they sound so much better than the brainworx emulation.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatinventor View Post
It's like a company making a soda that tastes almost exactly like Coke then getting Coca Cola to say it's the closest thing to it and there you go......if you haven't already bought the real SSL brand channelstrip, you should make the investment, they sound so much better than the brainworx emulation.
I don't think the SSL branded strips sound better but different. Depends on what one likes.

One of the biggest issues with the new strips is miscalibration of metering and knobs. And Dirk has effectively said that fixes (if any) won't be for a long time. Between this and the other bugs that have been long known to PA programmers and haven't been fixed I'm not holding out any hope we'll see a resolution soon. Slate soon maybe

QAPLA!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 AM

I went for the new "G". Minor quibbles aside, I do like the way this sounds.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-29-2018, 06:27 AM

I own most of PA stuff and like it very much.
But this "new" SSL is a little bit a joke IMO, because BX modeled the SSL not very long ago very exactly and now they modeled it again and sell the same plug in for a second time and Cannel E owner have to pay again 50$ for the "SSL" brand.
ok, may be they modeled it in some other way, but the plug in and all functions are very, very similar.
I think they only did it because people (like you and me) believe that plug ins sounds better when they show the original brand on it. :)
UAD has shown that in the past and can sell there Plug ins much higher than other companies.
but anyway I like the BX channel E very much. the possibility to make ever channel sounding a little bit different with the TDT is also a cool idea.
I make some tests and comparison between the E and the SSL and the E sounds a little bit fatter (it has more bottom end, especially with higher compressed settings) but this is not so important because you can compensate it with some adjustments.
so IMO this new plug in don't bring really something new and don't sound better than the old E. its more the feeling to have an original SSL :)

btw, it would be so cool to use this channels in the Softube console, but i think this will never happen :-/