Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Default An open letter to the builder of PT11

Dear Builder of PT 11.

Congratulations on releasing a 64 bit DAW.
Sadly, that is where my praise stops.
It is clear that you were under huge time pressure to get PT 11 out as soon as possible. You did that, but in the rush you have broken it so badly that it is now unusable.
The urgent directive that your bosses at AVID gave you was supposed to save PT from the 32 bit slag heap but you have given us a 64 bit PT that may as well be thrown straight on that slag heap.

I have used PT for the last decade and you have finally killed it.
I would be willing to wait for you to fix it but you are not listening and you are not acting to fix the issues.
You give professionals no choice other than to chose another DAW.

Here is my strong suggestion to you. It's not personal.
Do the right thing by PT and all of us faithful users by resigning.
Here is what you should say to your boss;

"I cant do this. It's too hard. I cant get on top of automatic delay compensation and PT is now riddled with so many sync and MIDI issues that I cant fix it. Bounces don't work properly and there are question marks over the very fundamentals of the build itself. I'm walking away to give you a chance to employ someone who can fix it."

If you don't resign, your bosses at AVID will never save PT. They are hell bent on negligent destruction. Your bosses are not listening in their ivory towers and they are largely disconnected from music. They are the real culprits and should have invested more heavily into the build of PT 11. Shame on them. Shameful fools, killing their own products. But they will not act to save themselves, or us, or you, so.....

It's up to you to do the right thing.......

Yours Sincerely
Lachlan
Old 05-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Re: An open letter to the builder of PT11

Three questions:
  1. Your post says you would like everyone who worked on Pro Tools 11 to quit their jobs. Am I reading that right?
  2. Are you serious?
  3. No, really, are you serious?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Because Avid employees who have jobs and families that those jobs feed and house all are willing to just be unemployed because you have issues that you are unhappy about?

Let's assume 100% of your issues are due to Avid, you really feel those folks should quit? That's your logic?

No DAW is flawless. All have some issues. Are there some advertised feature in 11 that would make it very difficult for you to accomplish in 10?

I have PTHD 10/11, but use 10. I could easily track in 10 and mix in 11. I get it though, you bought 11, so it should work for "you" as advertised. What confuses me is there are lots of credible users here that use 11 daily with no issues. I am aware of a few issues with 11, none of the few I have read about are as dire to workflow that you imply.

What have you done to trouble shoot your perceived issues? Are you sure none are user related issues or hardware issues?

I'm not criticizing, but let folks here try to help you.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Let me finish your letter....

------

Now I'm not going to waste my time going into any detail about what my issues are, or what problems I'm specifically having. I just wanted to take my frustration out on you. Now I realize I could have done my research and avoided the update, but I "had to have it" and now, I'm very pissed off.

------

Good?
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Nice, Ron. (I was told to be quiet by a similar-sounding guy who just wanted to rant and point fingers instead of actually seeking any help. Let's see how this goes...)
P.S. Working GREAT here, and I make a good living with it.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Thank you for your informed feedback. I didnt write my post hoping for help. There is none. The work arounds fail.
The issues with PT 11 are well known by AVID, documented and are not being fixed. They are probably happening to you if you use VIs. Is everything in sync??? Are you sure?

Check out this thread on PT 11 and how it can't automatically delay compensate auxilliary output stems.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350529

I wrote my post to warn others and to vent on the ineptitude of the builders of PT. If I released mixes as bad as their software writing I would not expect to be paid.

And so we all remain attached to PTs, even defending it.
Like calves suckling from a dead cows udder, we have not recognised that the milk is running cold.

Sincerely
Lachlan
Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
The work arounds fail.
The issues with PT 11 are well known by AVID, documented and are not being fixed.
How do you know these issues are not currently being worked on by Avid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
Like calves suckling from a dead cows udder, we have not recognised that the milk is running cold.
I say this with all due respect: dial back the melodrama.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM

I say this with all due respect: dial back the melodrama.

+1000
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM

All you have to do is bounce the multi-out instrument tracks to audio tracks with no plugins on while you print them.

Then you can mix the audio tracks normally with no problems.

Many of us learned to work that way (track everything to audio files as early as possible).

PT records the audio without the plugins affecting the print anyway, so there is nothing lost by turning off plugins while you do a bus record of the multi-out instrument plugin.

It is good practice to get those complex multi-out instruments recorded once correctly anyway since they are so quirky and generate different music each time they play sometimes. Just my humble opinion.

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo /Intel Pro 2 Quad Core-rackmount PC
Windows 7 professional 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
M-AUDIO FastTrack ULTRA 8R Interface
Roland RD-300 / Novation XiO Keyboards
Mackie 12 channel Analog Mixer
Adam A8X monitors

Estonia Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://soundcloud.com/dc-choppah
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 PM

I somewhat understand the frustration. It is annoying that many of these crucial bugs are not being addressed. The Delay Compensation one is a deal breaker for me and that is one of the reasons I am still on 10. The sustain pedal bug is another one that hasn't been addressed since Pro Tools 8 and is a pretty important one. The video playback issues were a nightmare too.

Nevertheless. Every single DAW that has gone through a complete 64 bit rewrite has had many, many, many issues to work out. I saw this with Sonar and Logic first hand and I'm certain all other DAW's have had similar problems. A 64 bit rewrite is a huge undertaking and will take time to get all of the bugs worked out. Knowing this has helped me to be patient with the bugs and plan ahead to stay in 10 until possibly PT 12. I do think that Pro Tools 11 has had fewer bugs in the 64 bit transition then most DAW's.

However, I do agree that it is unacceptable… Every DAW forum I've seen has been outraged by the 64 bit builds for long periods of time. Let's just hope that Avid get things cleaned up and working properly as soon as possible. The best things we can do is document the problems and keep them informed about the issues.
160 GB RAM
macOS 10.15.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio