Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Default OSX Open Directory

We're in the process of putting together our 3nd & 4th OSX 10.4.6 server, and want to implement Open Directory since we're up to 24 clients, and 4 OSX servers, and I would prefer to store users on the server not on the clients. I've heard rumor that Pro-Tools will not work from a server based Home folder, only local client - is this true ? If not true, is any one here doing it? My other concern is the latency of using the server for Home folders and pref's. I do understand that most of Pro-Tools runs at the client system admin level, and its seems logical that this should work, since most of the user home folder contains, personal preferences.

TIA

Equipment :Clients: DP 2.5 G G5 PPC, Servers: G4 1.25G OSX 10.3.9 Server, DP 2.5G XServe/XRaid running OSX Server 10.4.6
Services: AFP File Share, Windows File Share, Open Directory, QT Server
Old 07-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: OSX Open Directory

is true it will not work

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM

DigiDelivery does not work with networked home directories either (search that conference for the thread).
Old 07-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
is true it will not work
I have to disagree. I use it every day. works ok 98% of the time. Every now and then the iLok freaks out, but that might be the Gefen USB extender.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks FajitaTone for the response.
We're in the process of retasking our old "Panther" fle server and installing a new "Tiger" XServe/XRaid server to run Open Directory, file serving, and QT Server. I admin 24 clients and 4 OSX servers, but would really like to go OD. I sent and recieved and email to Digidesign Technical, and they said they didn't know - haven't tried it.
With regard to your problem, if i'm not mistaken, the iLok pref's and core are stored at the system level and not the user folder, so I'm not sure about your issue. For the life of me I can't figure what would be a hangup storing the user Home folder on the server. Most of the files stored their are small text-based personal user pref's, documents. Most of the admin ownership that PT required is stored at the system level.
The few people saying its doesn't work - have they tried it, or if they have, was it with older server software? OD is a server widely in use by Mac and Windows servers. Trying to admin 24-25 clients, and 4-6 servers across 3 facilities is easily done with login permissions, Home folders are stored on the server, which can be accessed from any machine in the company. We're certainly not trying to run PT app from the server, just the user configuation.
More of my concern is, server latency - how long does the client have wait, to retrieve his Home pref's. Currently our engineers move room to room, each with his own personal login, so with 24 machines, and 15 engineers - thats 360 admin points!
Well again thank for your input.

Steve - LAStudios
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM

when we tried to use Home Folders was 10.2 so I am not totally up to date.

If this dose work I would be interested in the details I run 38 station and about 130-150 user projects a term

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 AM

Our setup is 6 rooms, 10 user accounts. We also have the XServe Fibre channel for the Video drives on each of the MOJO setups. Audio is on a separate internal SATA drive.

Steve, check your email.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:16 AM

Digi just posted a 7.1cs9 that's SUPPOSED to help address this problem...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada