Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Default Re: An open letter to the builder of PT11

Post #275 In the big thread about the ADC Bug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Wanted to let you all know we are aware of this, it's logged and currently with Engineering. There are other threads about this where moderators have participated and passed info on to us, sorry for the lack of participation in this thread. (We'll likely merge threads as well as entries on IdeaScale to focus these reports.)

Thanks,
JC
Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 PM

There is an Avid survey currently being undertaken. Perhaps you'd like to vent your frustration within that forum.

In the meantime I agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I say this with all due respect: dial back the melodrama.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 AM

To the OP...it's a wide-open marketplace, and if you have a better idea, and can write a better program, then by all means, let's see what you've got.

Last edited by sw rec; 05-28-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I somewhat understand the frustration. It is annoying that many of these crucial bugs are not being addressed.
I can think of structure issues that weren't addressed personally (maybe b/c they knew they were gonna sell it)

Quote:
The Delay Compensation one is a deal breaker for me and that is one of the reasons I am still on 10.
Amen brother same here

Quote:
Nevertheless. Every single DAW that has gone through a complete 64 bit rewrite has had many, many, many issues to work out. I saw this with Sonar and Logic first hand and I'm certain all other DAW's have had similar problems.
Agreed although I've never used sonor

Quote:
Let's just hope that Avid get things cleaned up and working properly as soon as possible. The best things we can do is document the problems and keep them informed about the issues.

Agreed I think some feedback is essential, even if that includes melodrama. It's part and parcel

Prosit cheers salud Chi
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
Thank you for your informed feedback. I didnt write my post hoping for help. There is none. The work arounds fail.
The issues with PT 11 are well known by AVID, documented and are not being fixed. They are probably happening to you if you use VIs. Is everything in sync??? Are you sure?

Check out this thread on PT 11 and how it can't automatically delay compensate auxilliary output stems.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350529

I wrote my post to warn others and to vent on the ineptitude of the builders of PT. If I released mixes as bad as their software writing I would not expect to be paid.

And so we all remain attached to PTs, even defending it.
Like calves suckling from a dead cows udder, we have not recognised that the milk is running cold.

Sincerely
Lachlan
Thank you. Yes I'm aware of the issues. I use VEP5 for all VIs. No issues whatsoever.

As for defending PT, I don't but in my business we all use it. And the studios are not going to change to another format/software.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 PM

I must be even dumber than I thought. I have had few if any problems with system functionality- and I came from Sonar X1.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM

A thread worthy of deletion...
It is the equivalent of throwing rocks at a building
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-Choppah View Post
All you have to do is bounce the multi-out instrument tracks to audio tracks with no plugins on while you print them.

Then you can mix the audio tracks normally with no problems.

Many of us learned to work that way (track everything to audio files as early as possible).

PT records the audio without the plugins affecting the print anyway, so there is nothing lost by turning off plugins while you do a bus record of the multi-out instrument plugin.

It is good practice to get those complex multi-out instruments recorded once correctly anyway since they are so quirky and generate different music each time they play sometimes. Just my humble opinion.
This doesn't help if you have a complex session and have to make a lot of changes for producers and directors. You have to keep the bulk of your work in midi until you know you're good with the people you're working for. I'm going through this right now.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
This doesn't help if you have a complex session and have to make a lot of changes for producers and directors. You have to keep the bulk of your work in midi until you know you're good with the people you're working for. I'm going through this right now.
I don't remember him saying you had to delete the VI Track. Make your changes and bounce again. Honestly, how often do you find that happening in every session? Once, twice, fifty, just curious. If it's really does happen a great deal in each and every session, then I would agree, our suggestion is effective, but could be a hassle. If it's 1-5 times per session, that's no big deal.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 PM

I'd like to balance this thread by saying PT11 has been amazing for me - I'm blown away with the performance boost going from PT10 TDM to PT11 native. It seems roughly 4X more powerful in terms of the juice required to run big sessions and lots of plugs...

Bugs suck and I hope they're fixed ASAP, but if they don't effect your workflow or you can work around them then it's a great DAW.