Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 AM

Default Panning with EZDrummer 2

Hoping someone can help me with use of EZ Drummer 2. I'm working on initial panning/placement of tracks as I begin to mix. EZ Drummer does have it's own mix tool within the EZD VI that keeps the snare/kick centered and pans wide L&R the toms/etc. Then, the single EZD track is in stereo with wide L & R pan within Pro Tools.

Now is where I'm having some difficulty is when I want to try and get wide guitar sound, panning these tracks full L & R as well (keeping Bass/Vox in the center). When I pan hard L/R, the sound doesn't seem to come out as I'd like and expect and is more muddy.

I was curious on anyone else's habits as they mix and pan using EZD? Do I play around and not fully pan the drums or guitars fully left/right? Does it all turn out better once I get into adding Delay/Reverb in?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to all of it and am hoping others insight will help steer me in the right direction.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Panning with EZDrummer 2

Your panning seems standard. I associate "muddy" more with EQ. I haven't used it yet, but Boz's Mongoose plugin mono's the low frequencies, which allegedly cleans things up a bit. So that's a combination of EQ and panning. Hard to tell what your issue is though.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks! I'll give that plug in a try.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM

You can also try assigning each channel in EZ Drummer to it's own track in PT. There are plenty of tutorials on the net to show you how to do this routing.

This will give you a bit more flexibility and also allows you to process different drums with different plugins.

Give it a try and it may just do what you are looking for.

System Details
Old 11-15-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime456 View Post
Now is where I'm having some difficulty is when I want to try and get wide guitar sound, panning these tracks full L & R as well (keeping Bass/Vox in the center). When I pan hard L/R, the sound doesn't seem to come out as I'd like and expect and is more muddy.
What becomes muddy? The guitars? The drums?
If it's the guitars, I don't see why you ask about EZDrummer. The presets in EZD should sound fine. If you're struggling with the wide guitars, one common beginner mistake is trying to widen a single recording of an instrument in different ways. Even if it's on a stereo track, it will never widen as it's still mono, same signal in L&R. The only real way to get that wide guitar sound is the good old way, to record the performance twice and hard pan the two takes. There will be small differences between the two and that makes it sound so wide.
Sorry if this is something you were aware of, but you said "newbie".