Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Default You Do Not Have Appropriate Access Privileges (1)...

I can't even start ProTools 11. When I start, I get this message, and PT shuts down.

I am logged in as administrator. I did a disk utility repair of permissions. I checked and verified my iLok, and PT 11 is there and it seems right.

I don't have an older copy of PT, all I can do is re-install the same one.

Is there any help out there?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Re: You Do Not Have Appropriate Access Privileges (1)...

please review the Help Us Help You link at the top of the page
as of now all we can do is assume your on OSX

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Craig:

As best I can I will respond.

I have an iMAC late 2014, 27 inch monitor, core i7, with 32 GB of RAM and an AMD R9 M295X 4096 MB Video Card. I am running 10.10.3 Yosemite. No other peripherals are attached. No additional drives are attached. As for system requirements, please note that Pro Tools was running sometime in the recent past on this computer. That means that despite loading Pro Tools from the system drive, it was working in the past, and working just fine, at least for quite a while.

This Pro Tools version is the educational version, and I'm starting a class in about two weeks and wanted to get this up and running. As mentioned earlier, Pro Tools was running on this computer for a while, but I hadn't touched for a few months on this computer. Pro Tools 11.1.3 is the version that was installed on this workstation and on my laptop. No, I don't try to use both at the same time, but I do want to be able to work on one and then the laptop when I'm not near the workstation. And, with the iLOK, that has worked in the past. It also should be noted that I can run Pro Tools 11.1.3 on my laptop with my iLok.

Trust me I did search the error message and have spent hours on Google looking for others with the same error. I have checked and double-checked permissions in my Documents folder and many other folders that are touched by Pro Tools. They're all RW for "everyone".

I would love to redirect the Pro Tools to an external drive, but as I get this message at startup, it won't start and therefore I can't.

I uninstalled Pro Tools 11.1.3 entirely, per the instructions on Avid's site, and then installed the new version, 11.3.x, but still am getting the same error. Tried starting Pro Tools holding down the "n" key...no luck. In the splash panel, it says "initializing databases", but then the error shows up and the application shuts down. I also tried searching for Pro Tools - initialzing databases, and didn't find anything that would help.

It should be noted that I also run Avid on this computer (and it works just fine as version 8.3.1).

What more information do you need?

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-15-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Craig:

As best I can I will respond.

I have an iMAC 2014, with 32 GB of RAM and an AMD R9 M295X 4096 MB Video Card.

I am running 10.10.3 Yosemite. This is an educational version, and I'm starting a class in about two weeks and wanted to get this up and running.

Pro Tools was running for a while, but I hadn't touched it in a while on this computer. Pro Tools 11.1.3 is the version that wasa installed on this workstation and on my laptop. No, I don't try to use both at the same time, but I do want to be able to work on one and then the laptop when I'm not near the workstation. And, with the iLOK, that has worked in the past.

Trust me I did search the error message and have spent hours on Google looking for others with the same error.

I would love to redirect the Pro Tools to an external drive, but as I get this message at startup, I can't.

I uninstalled Pro Tools 11.1.3 entirely, and then re-installed 11.3.x, but still am getting the same error.

It should be noted that I also run Avid on this computer (and it works just fine as version 8.3.1).

What more information do you need?
What do you mean by you 'run Avid' on this computer? Avid what?

Do you have an iLok2 with the appropriate license asset on it plugged into the computer you're trying to use? Also do you have the latest ILM software?

QAPLA!
Old 07-15-2015, 02:36 PM

when you say Avid you mean Media Composer, Avid can mean ether Pro Tools or Media Composer (stupid re-branding)

co-installing MC and PT on the same system is delicate dance of order of operations
have you followed this page? http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...d-Pro-Tools-11

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-15-2015, 03:34 PM

I do run Avid Media Composer, but it is not registered with the iLok. i use a different license process with Media Composer. Avid Pro Tools is registered with ilok.

I do not attempt to start Pro Tools without plugging in the ilok.

Yes, I have the latest version of the ilok license manager. I downloaded the latest version of the iLok license manager and installed it on my iMac, synchronized it, and it looks okay.

I installed the same version on my laptop, synchronized it with the account I have on ilok.com, and Pro Tools starts and runs.

On my iMac, despite doing all this, (installing the latest version of ilok, and synchronizing), Pro Tools still does not run.

Yes, I have an ilok2; otherwise Pro Tools would not run on my laptop (a Macbook Pro).

I should also note that I did a PRAM reset (no luck), and started the iMac in safe mode, but still no progress.

As for the co-install issues mentioned, MC and PT were working on the iMac but unfortunately, not anymore. But both are working and starting on the Mac Book Pro (late 2013 and Yosemite 10.10.3). I guess I could uninstall MC (it needs an update to 8.4 anyway), and PT and then install PT, then install MC 8.4....

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-15-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:18 PM

I use to run a facility with over a 100 MC/PT co-install system
I know that MC doesn't use iLok
If you do not install in the correct order you get errors

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat, and can't seem to find a solution. I've repaired drive permissions, un/re-installed pro tools, renamed my boot drive, etc...

Program was working fine until I didn't use it for about 2 months, came back and have this error repeatedly. Please note that this error occurs during the "Initializing Databases" portion of launch - after iLok authentication. Before I pay $40 for Avid to tell me I have to reformat my hard drive, I'd like to see if someone can help here...

Computer : Macbook Pro Mid-2014
Processor: Intel Core i7
Pro Tools 11.3.1 Educational
Interface: MOTU 8pre
Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 AM

FOUND A SOLUTION ON REDDIT - Please read below

"I have been running PT 12 for about 2 months now and today, after my computer (a 2014 iMac) froze I had to do a hard reset on the computer, and when I rebooted and tried to launch PT, I got this error. I've been getting it every time I try to open it since. Any words of advice would be so appreciated, as I'm kind of new to this software.

UPDATE 5 DAYS LATER: I figured it out. All I had to do was go to Users/Shared/Pro Tools and drag the Workspace.wksp file to the desktop. Everything works fine now. Hopefully someone sees this in the future and saves themselves from the frustration I've had over this."

Thank you to u/oldmancabbage for making my life so much better
Old 05-16-2016, 11:06 AM

This worked for me thank you!!! I was about to go insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart_Massacre View Post
FOUND A SOLUTION ON REDDIT - Please read below

"I have been running PT 12 for about 2 months now and today, after my computer (a 2014 iMac) froze I had to do a hard reset on the computer, and when I rebooted and tried to launch PT, I got this error. I've been getting it every time I try to open it since. Any words of advice would be so appreciated, as I'm kind of new to this software.

UPDATE 5 DAYS LATER: I figured it out. All I had to do was go to Users/Shared/Pro Tools and drag the Workspace.wksp file to the desktop. Everything works fine now. Hopefully someone sees this in the future and saves themselves from the frustration I've had over this."

Thank you to u/oldmancabbage for making my life so much better