Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Audio level low

Jack, I understand. I have a completely different set up for my voice over studio so the whole Pro Tools thing was new to me. So many voice over actors talk up the mbox and protools I just thought it would be a simple process. Today we discovered that the RE20 was giving us a hum. We switched to a Sterling Audio mic I had sitting around and it was perfectly clean (and, incidentally, much hotter at any gain level). Exact same set up and location, just changed the cable from one mic to another.

But when all was said and done, my friend decided to pack up the Mbox and Protools and return them (B&H Photo in NY is awesome that way) and either exchange the RE20 for another RE20 or get a different mic. She's going with the Sure X2U interface, a bare bones device that gives few options but should probably work perfectly with my friend's need to do mono recording of VO auditions and maybe some sessions with minor editing and no need for mixing. Pro Tools was overkill for her.

I really appreciate all of your input everyone, and I'm sorry to say it was, to some extent for naught, but I did learn a lot myself so all was not lost.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigForVoiceovers View Post
Jack, I understand. I have a completely different set up for my voice over studio so the whole Pro Tools thing was new to me. So many voice over actors talk up the mbox and protools I just thought it would be a simple process. Today we discovered that the RE20 was giving us a hum. We switched to a Sterling Audio mic I had sitting around and it was perfectly clean (and, incidentally, much hotter at any gain level). Exact same set up and location, just changed the cable from one mic to another.

But when all was said and done, my friend decided to pack up the Mbox and Protools and return them (B&H Photo in NY is awesome that way) and either exchange the RE20 for another RE20 or get a different mic. She's going with the Sure X2U interface, a bare bones device that gives few options but should probably work perfectly with my friend's need to do mono recording of VO auditions and maybe some sessions with minor editing and no need for mixing. Pro Tools was overkill for her.

I really appreciate all of your input everyone, and I'm sorry to say it was, to some extent for naught, but I did learn a lot myself so all was not lost.
I'm confused - did you have an RE27 or RE20? B&H is letting you return software along with the hardware? I know they're good and have done a lot of business with them but I don't think that's allowed per Avid EULA. Usually software once opened and installed can't be returned. I'd really check into that before anything illegal happens.

Sorry to see you go; who knows you might well have branched out into doing other audio work where PT would help.

I just thought of something - you say the RE20(27?) started giving you hum. Was anything moved that would cause that to happen? One possibility is you have an intermittent cable and that could have been the problem all along with low signal. Balanced audio if one of the conductors is grounded or has a low impedance path to ground would drop the signal to almost nothing; it could be the shield either came loose or is frayed and is shorting to one of the signal conductors.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 AM

Sorry, Jack, I misspoke at first. She did buy the RE20. I don't think it was the cable or anything in the room because my Sterling Audio mic worked perfectly and silently. We took the RE20 off the shock mount and moved it around a 10 foot area. The buzz changed a bit and even went away when the mic was in certain positions. It seemed to be the most quiet when pointing straight down. But out of all the moving around we did, the EV worked in maybe 5% of that area/those positions. The Sterling mic NEVER had a buzz no matter where the mic was or what position it was in. In testing we duplicated the positions with both mics. The mic cable is brand new. Nothing else was different EXCEPT that the Sterling mic uses Phantom powoer so that switch was on on the Mbox. I didn't notice any intermittent gain issues with either mic, so I ruled out a bad cable or bad connection.

Only my friend is abandoning Pro Tools. I'm a musician as well, albeit a non-practicing one but if I decide to dust off my Korg Triton Studio and get back into song writing/composing, I might invest in Pro Tools myself. On the other hand, Logic is also an option.

But for now, I focus on voice over work and fortunately, MY studio and its equipment have been very reliable.

The reason B&H is going to take back the Mbox and Protools, as they explained it, is because we were really buying the Mbox that happened to be sold as a bundle. If we had bought the full version of Protools as a stand alone, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have taken it back.

The biggest issue I have with ProTools, aside from the fact that for straight mono voice over tracks, one uses about 1/2 of 1% of PT's power, is the real time bounce. Annie was under the impression that she was getting PT 11 with the Mbox. Of course, PT 11 finally allows for offline bouncing. With a mono VO track, it would be quite fast. But we were only able to install PT 10.3.8. When we called B&H, they said we could upgrade to PT11 but we'd have to buy the full version. They said there was no PT 11 Express version. I'm not sure what Avid will include with the Mbox in the future once 10.3.8 is old enough to warrant including a new version.

The last few days have been somewhat of a nightmare, but having studied engineering in college, I always appreciate opportunities to exercise my problem solving skills. You all were certainly a help in that.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Jack, I misspoke at first. She did buy the RE20. I don't think it was the cable or anything in the room because my Sterling Audio mic worked perfectly and silently. We took the RE20 off the shock mount and moved it around a 10 foot area. The buzz changed a bit and even went away when the mic was in certain positions. It seemed to be the most quiet when pointing straight down. But out of all the moving around we did, the EV worked in maybe 5% of that area/those positions. The Sterling mic NEVER had a buzz no matter where the mic was or what position it was in. In testing we duplicated the positions with both mics. The mic cable is brand new. Nothing else was different EXCEPT that the Sterling mic uses Phantom powoer so that switch was on on the Mbox. I didn't notice any intermittent gain issues, it was consistent so I ruled out a bad cable or bad connection.

Only my friend is abandoning Pro Tools. I'm a musician as well, albeit a non-practicing one but if I decide to dust off my Korg Triton Studio and get back into song writing/composing, I might invest in Pro Tools myself. On the other hand, Logic is also an option.

But for now, I focus on voice over work and fortunately, my studio and its equipment have been very reliable.
That's an intermittent shield somewheres; unusual to have it in the mic. I'd still get an extra mic cable.

I'd still look into the legality of returning opened and loaded software. I doubt you got a disk with the software on it but downloaded it so there's nothing to return. And even if you erase it from the computer it's still available from your Avid account and the license asset is still on your iLok2. I say your instead of your friend as that's easier to type.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 AM

"your" understood.

If B&H is going to take it back, I'm not really concerned. I'm sure it matters less since it's the express version. The iLok has to go back with the Mbox so she wouldn't be able to use the software anyway.

Annie isn't interested in using PT so it's not as though she's trying to pull one over on Avid or B&H.

But, of course, if there is some copyright law that says it's illegal on B&H's part to accept a return or illegal on Annie's part to return it, I guess we'll let B&H be responsible for handling that side of it. But I can't imagine that law exists. Yes, it could be in Avid's fine print somewhere.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
"your" understood.

If B&H is going to take it back, I'm not really concerned. I'm sure it matters less since it's the express version. The iLok has to go back with the Mbox so she wouldn't be able to use the software anyway.

Annie isn't interested in using PT so it's not as though she's trying to pull one over on Avid or B&H.

But, of course, if there is some copyright law that says it's illegal on B&H's part to accept a return or illegal on Annie's part to return it, I guess we'll let B&H be responsible for handling that side of it. But I can't imagine that law exists. Yes, it could be in Avid's fine print somewhere.
This is exactly why I'm saying you had better check this with Avid. Doesn't matter what version you're dealing with. Even though the iLok has to go back with the package there's still the matter of an iLok account that has to be dealt with and I doubt B&H will do that.

And it doesn't matter if one is trying to pull something over on someone; it's all legal matters to be dealt with.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM

I'll check with Avid or have Annie do that. If you're interested, I'll post the result.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM

I spoke with Avid and they said that there is no problem with a retailer refunding the purchase of the Mbox and Pro Tools Express software. There is one condition that they said would be an issue which doesn't apply in Annie's case. If the iLok thumb drive did not have an activation on it when the product was bought and that activation had to be loaded on it through the Avid sight along with a valid registration, Avid would not support the retailer refunding the purchase, ONLY because the product could be resold by the retailer with an active account and activation on the thumb from the previous purchaser. He said Avid can't really do anything about that but Avid sees it as be shady on the retailers part. Other than that, he said the retailer is on their own on how they handle this kind of thing.

I suppose in the case of this retailer, I'm guessing, they will eat the cost of this return.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I spoke with Avid and they said that there is no problem with a retailer refunding the purchase of the Mbox and Pro Tools Express software. There is one condition that they said would be an issue which doesn't apply in Annie's case. If the iLok thumb drive did not have an activation on it when the product was bought and that activation had to be loaded on it through the Avid sight along with a valid registration, Avid would not support the retailer refunding the purchase, ONLY because the product could be resold by the retailer with an active account and activation on the thumb from the previous purchaser. He said Avid can't really do anything about that but Avid sees it as be shady on the retailers part. Other than that, he said the retailer is on their own on how they handle this kind of thing.

I suppose in the case of this retailer, I'm guessing, they will eat the cost of this return.
Good to hear you got resolution on this as there's too
many traps that can befall one with legalese. Good luck in your recording endeavors!

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Hello my name is Mark I have a similar issue

I have Windows Vista home premium x32
I use PT 8 Le on mbox mini 3

Now this recently happened a month or 2 ago and I still can't fix it .
It was fine but now it has low recording levels .
Yes my mxl 770 needs the phantom power it's always on when in use .
My mic cable is brand new (I thought it was the problem but wasn't)
I've tried a different mic
I've updated my PT . And it says 8.0.1 CS 2 now but still nothing
I've had my pc checked and it's fine
So idk if I need to change my preferences or anything with settings
I wish I was a pro I miss music rite now so bad
My last option could b the mbox ..help!!!!!! I need a pro

Last edited by Pazzy805; 07-24-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: misspelled