Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Re: ARC System 2.5 with MEMS microphone coming soon

Yes 2.5 does have the same old problems with aax forgetting it's settings, yes I've raised a support ticket (the third on the matter in the last 4 years !) and yes IKmultimedia replied saying 'It's a known issue and will be sorted in a software update to be released in the future ! To be honest though wouldn't hold your breath !

A workround though is possible with 2.5. Either 1. at the end of the session leave the ARC plugin open and then save the session before closing, when you reopen the session ARC will be open on the desktop and it remembers it's settings (well it worked for me !) or 2. Don't use the aax version but use the VST version in a wrapper, bluecat patchwork or similar.

Cheers

Clive
Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 AM

Been a whole week now with no word from IK shipping my MEMS mic. Not sure why I paid a few extra bucks for two day shipping
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM
IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
Been a whole week now with no word from IK shipping my MEMS mic. Not sure why I paid a few extra bucks for two day shipping
There was a larger-than-expected surge of interest in the MEMS microphone and ARC System 2.5 but IK is getting as many as possible as quickly as possible to fulfill the demand. Thank you for your patience.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:24 PM

Just recieved email that it shipped.
Thanks
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 08-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Okay MEMS mic came and I thought I would do a quick review. First of it came with a cardboard box instead of a plastic box like the last IK reference mic. The mic has a plastic housing which I felt like I might break it putting it into the mic holder. The holder is all plastic so be careful not to cross thread it. I won't know what to do if it cross threads since it will not fit in a normal mic clip.

I did a quick 7 point measurement and compared with my previous measurement done with the orange stripe 23 point measurement. It was radically different. The MEMs measurement was not as exaggerated (closer to flat) than the previous measurement especially in the bass. I thought ok. By the way my room is square and has no acoustic treatment. Might be the worse room to mix in. My monitors are Mackie HR824s.

I did four mix downs and played them in my media room, my car (good stereo) and a small theatre performance center in my music school. I got to admit that I thought the mixes translated very well. Much better than other mixes I have done with ARC 1 and the orange striped mic.

I also then used it as the reference mic for my DBX drive rack for the performance center. I ran through the four curves (0,a,b,c,d), I thought it did a very precise job and I could easily distinguished the curve characteristics. The auto EQ also calculated the curves pretty fast versus other reference mics.

Conclusion. I'm looking forward to doing more testing and playing with the MEMs mic but overall it seems to be very accurate and does a very good job!

:) :) :)
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 AM

I'm interested in more reviews. I think in a month or so I'll buy the mic and upgrade to 2.5 from 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 09-07-2017, 04:07 AM

Where is the best place in the U.K. To purchase the mic which has it in stock. I can't seem to find any where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 11-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Received the unit yesterday. Just did an initial 7 point measurement of my home system.

Subjective observations:

1. Wider stereo stage.
2. Gets rid of a certain "nasal" character the room displays (mixes don't show this on other systems)
3. Tighter, more anchored center image

Of the three, the better center was the most startling and unexpected. I think it's quite a tool for the money. I wish I could run it in Core Audio on its own so I didn't have to open PT to hear it.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-02-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
I wish I could run it in Core Audio on its own so I didn't have to open PT to hear it.

Peter
You should be able to run the ARC plugin in Audio Hijack and use it for system audio - iTunes, etc.
Free demo at:
https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/
Old 11-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Just tried the Audio Hijack demo, and yes, you can choose iTunes or any other Core Audio app and apply ARC to it. You cannot, however, choose the Pro Tools playback engine in Audio Hijack if Pro Tools is running, so you still need to run ARC from within Pro Tools when working. Looks like Rogue Amoeba's Loopback may fix that, but I can live without it. Gotta admit my library does sound a ton better on a somewhat calibrated system.

Not really a fan of any sw with "hijack" in the title, but I guess I'll pop for the full version ($60) since it fills my need.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest