Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-19-2003, 12:27 PM

Default How to use non quicktime video formats in PT?

Can this be done? I am trying to use a DVD, do I need to convert it to quicktime? I am totally lost here because I can't figure a way to change the DVD into anything quicktime. Any help appreciated I don't know anything about video.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: How to use non quicktime video formats in PT?

uh............u don't .........convert to quicktime then you're cool.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:18 PM

Uh...........I have tried everything to convert my DVD to quicktime. It is the wizard of DVD and quicktime won't open it let alone convert it. Unless there is something I am missing?
Old 12-19-2003, 06:07 PM

ah...........well then you're trying to do something that might not be legal.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:57 PM

I meant the wizard of oz.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:48 AM

Hello. I assume you mean you want to spot audio to video from a DVD correct? You have to capture the video from the DVD first. You will need a video capture card and capturing software. iMovie can do the capturing and if your DVD player has Firewire then you don't need anything else. Otherwise you need to get a video capture card or device, like an Aurora, Canopus, Miro, etc. Once you capture the video into iMovie you can create your QuickTime movies there. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:19 PM

just a hunch, but from the looks of his (((name))) he's not trying to use a capture device for the DVD lol.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:58 PM

Quote:
just a hunch, but from the looks of his (((name))) he's not trying to use a capture device for the DVD lol.
I really can't figure out what you are implying. I assume you mean something about copying a DVD LOL. Well, I paid money for this DVD so if I want to convert it so that I can play around with this movie in PT in my own home or even make back up copies for myself I can. It's when you give them to other people that you're stealing.

Yes I want to spot a video and PT only allows Quicktime to be the player. I literally spent hours researching codecs and all that video stuff. I found a cool program that will decrypt .VOB files so you can run them without the disc. With the QT MPEG 2 component you can watch decrypted .VOB files. The catch is quicktime does not support AC3 sound so you have to convert the file again which is where I am confused so I have to learn more. I was able to get it to work though without sound. All I need to do is convert it to a codec quicktime can read and I can have sound and hopefully a largely compressed file. The .VOB is really like an MPEG2 so it is like 4 gigs. It is also in several files so I can't use it how I like in quicktime. If anyone has an idea of what codec to convert to that would help. I want it compressed a ton and to be quicktime compatible. Thanks

ƒ©?ߥ®†ø˜æ?œµ¬¬“˜?æ… øˆ¶§?ƒ©¥??¨?¥(((((((((((((kkkkkkk)))))))))))))))•§ ?ˆ¶§?¢•§¶?¡º?ªªªƒ?ß圬ø?˜*…´ß¥´ß¨?ƒ¥©¨?

that's for you antiphase

Old 12-22-2003, 12:07 AM

You have DVDxDV <www.dvdxdv.com> who do the job perfectly for NTSC (for PAL there is some problems with codec). It gives you a perfect QT movie with sound, usable in PT or DP. It work with NTSC DVD to NTSC DV or from PAL DVD to PAL DVCPro (there is the problem, you have to transcode it as to watch it in PT)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM

ok..........well you might be right if you have "authorization" to re-produce this DVD. Doesn't matter if you sell it or not......sorry,but the "reproduction" part is not exactally your freedom of choice.