Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 AM

Default Re: No more HD Native PCIe card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
PCIe isn't obsolete

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Thunderbolt is built on the PCIe structure of lanes. It is meant for external devices.
My point is that Apple clearly think the future of PCIE is not opening up a computer and sticking in a card.
It is connecting/daisy-chaining discrete devices.
I will be amazed if the 2019 Mac Pro included PCIE slots because rolling back to something they have already stopped doing isn't really something they do.

Last edited by uptheoctave; 04-21-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
With rumors that Apple is going to ditch Intel and go with their own processors, plus recent support for external graphics cards, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple wanted to keep the new Pro a closed system. Heck, Apple doesn't even support a system if you install your own memory. It would be nice, but I don't have much hope for a truely user upgradeable system.
If the do, it will be the end of the MacPro.
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Name one time that Apple rolled back to a previously obsoleted technology.
This could easily be the first because it's the first time their Mac Pro users dumped them for windows.
FinalCut was the first native professional-quality video editing software and it sold a lot of Mac Pros because the combination was way cheaper than a Media Composer rig.

When Apple took their massive dump on Final Cut with version X and introduced the trashcan, a lot of the high-end Final Cut folks returned to now native Media Composer and the massive low-end market left for Adobe. This was for reasons of future-proof archiving and the ability to use the more powerful PC workstations. The pro video card manufacturers have to support PCI-E because that's the broadcast standard in a world Apple has never had any access to. While Thunderbolt works on computer monitors, it is not as fast as the latest PCI-E slots.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Interesting that they may be discontinuing the native card, why would they when there are so many PCs out there with pcie slots? Never mind what Apple may do with the design of the new Mac Pro, PCs will be around with PCIE slots for quite some time, what's next discontinue HDX cards? Maybe they are not selling enough of the native cards to make it worth manufacturing them any more. I have an omni and native card and am thinking of selling both. I just got a Midas M32r which I really like for many reasons. Most my home studio work is at 48k and after a lot of A/B testing between the Midas and the Omni / Native the board wins as you can do so much more with it, 16 faders to play, 16 mic pres, effects, daw control etc :) and no fan noise like the omni has. Maybe I will hold off selling for a month to see if the native card actually are discontinued as they could go up in value a bit on Ebay.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 PM

They may have something new coming that makes another run of HD Native cards not make sense.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
They may have something new coming that makes another run of HD Native cards not make sense.
I have heard from sources that there is an issue with getting components for the HDN cards.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-23-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
-I will be amazed if the 2019 Mac Pro included PCIE slots because rolling back to something they have already stopped doing isn't really something they do.
snip

Remember that time when apple discontinued the G4 and then brought it back? No, I do because I bought a G4 MDD 1.25ghz at Frys. So yes, Apple has done it before.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com

Last edited by JFreak; 04-24-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 04-24-2018, 04:26 AM

I also read somewhere that Avid are moving the manufacture of audio hardware to a new country. Perhaps it could be related?

Or maybe they are gearing up to go entirely with network based audio.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:07 AM

I wonder how Apple's announcement that they will start manufacturing their own CPU's will affect things going forward. I still remember how much of a PITA the transition from PowerPC to Intel was. If the new "modular" Mac Pros don't have Intel chips, would that be a deal-breaker for audio software? It would probably take years for all the DAWs and plugin manufactures to re-code all of their products for the new chip architecture. Would they just say "no thanks" as many plugin devs did about HDX?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I have heard from sources that there is an issue with getting components for the HDN cards.
That classic transistor problem... We can get tubes from 70 years ago but not chips from ten years ago :-(