Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-18-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Pro Tools with multiple monitors does not save window arrangement, is there a way?

I have a mac pro 2019 5,1 and am running High Sierra and the latest Pro Tools with 3 monitors.
I strategically place my mix edit and open plugins across the three screens but when I re open the saved session
all the windows open on the main monitor overlapping each other and this has gone on for years.
Is there a trick or option I am missing to get pro tools to remember where the windows were
placed next time I open the "saved" session so I don't have to rearrange them every time I open a session.
This drives me nuts!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 02-18-2020, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools with multiple monitors does not save window arrangement, is there a way

You should be using Window Configurations. Sft-Cmd-J opens the window. Arrange your windows, then save a configuration. You can have a bunch of different arrangements that way.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools with multiple monitors does not save window arrangement, is there a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmixer View Post
You should be using Window Configurations. Sft-Cmd-J opens the window. Arrange your windows, then save a configuration. You can have a bunch of different arrangements that way.
Thanks Mark, I played with window configs in the past and had no luck as my mixer still opened behind the edit window, but I did see an old post here on the forum that said if you don't completely fill the screen with the mix window it will open on the second monitor as it should and sure enough it worked. So I did some tests and if I invaded the dock space at the bottom with the edit window it would default back to the main monitor. But then I played around with my dock settings changing them and then back to how I like it and now I can have the edit window full size and it re opens correctly. Go figure it could have been a corrupt doc preference causing the issue.
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
... But then I played around with my dock settings changing them and then back to how I like it and now I can have the edit window full size and it re opens correctly. Go figure it could have been a corrupt doc preference causing the issue.
Lancemcv you may have just made me a VERY HAPPY man!

I've been having workspace/WinConfig issues for the last 2 years... even spent time on multiple calls w/ AvidTS folks & have never been able to get to the cause.... just tried your suggestion of tweaking macpro Dock settings & my winConfigs now are opening full screen w/o probs. Woo-freaking-Hoo !!!

There's still a bug with my shortcut for WinConfig update not working... but if I simply overwrite the config with new changes, it seems to work.

... here's hoping that this lasts for longer than today. Thanks much, man!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 02-19-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post
... here's hoping that this lasts for longer than today. Thanks much, man!
I just opened my session from yesterday and it is still working, so nice to not have to move all the windows to their wanted spots. I got lucky and stumbled onto a fix
Old 02-19-2020, 10:25 AM

Windows Config has NEVER saved my plugin windows properly. Since like version 11 i think.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber View Post
Windows Config has NEVER saved my plugin windows properly. Since like version 11 i think.
My plugins and memory locations are now showing up where I last left them after the fix. Before they all stacked on the main screen.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:25 PM

Oh well I tried another session today and my mix window was back to its old habit. But all I have to do is make sure there is enough room for the dock to rise up without touching the bottom of the mix window and it works and always opens on my second of three displays better than not at all. My other session that I was testing this out with still opens correctly filling the screen, arg!!! It seems to have to do with the dock and some kind of conflict with window configs.
Another note is I do not have to save a window config, everything is now opening where I left it when I saved the session.

Last edited by lancemcv; 02-19-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 PM

Thanks so much to raise this question. I will try your tips. not only window config has problem..

If i open the session in MBP or another room with different monitor setting all config will mess.. So i name it "Mix @ Control A" , "Mix @ MBP"...etc it will better, not all the time

The memory location also has problem to recall show/hide. especially when u have over 100 tracks. if u have one recall on all Aux with location hide/show then back to main . it will lost... my trick is create new location instead instead of over write old one.

I think this bugs/problem way back to Pro Tools 10...