Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-27-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Hi Allen:
I flashed the ASUS Bios successfully, loaded the updated drivers for the Promise card from the Promise website (but was not able to figure out how to flash the Promise BIOS...still running 2.20.0.12 Promise BIOS) and the System drive boots from the Promise card with no problems. The system drive is jumpered to cable select. XP also loads fine if I bypass the Promise card and IDE straight to the mobo.

Here's the problem....I can't get XP to boot WHENEVER the audio drive is connected. I have tried using one IDE cable and going to the Mobo IDE, during boot-up both drives are recognized but then the machine just sits there, no windows loading. Tried putting each drive on the Promise card with its own IDE cable (I tested both cables and they are working fine) and again the same thing, the promise card sees both drives but then the machine just sits there and XP won't load. I've put system drive in IDE1 and Audio drove in IDE2 on the Promise card and tried reversing them as well. As soon as I disconnect the audio drive, no problems, XP loads. Whether the system drive is on IDE1, IDE2 or on the Mobo IDE port.

I used this audio drive (Maxtor 80 gig from the old Allenstein spec) with Win98SE and have loads of sessions on it (it is formatted Win32 though). According to the Promise website, the controller should be able to operate both drives even though they are formatted differently. I am at a complete loss as to how I can get XP to load AND see both drives.

I have jumpered the audio drive to cable select but also tried removing the jumper (which the Maxtor manual says is "Slave". Still no luck. I don't know why just having the audio drive connected (either on the same cable or with separate IDE cables) is causing XP to not load.

I was actually thinking about removing the system drive and trying to boot with my XP disk and then just format the damn thing to NTFS so at least I can get the audio drive up and running but this is going to lose me 30 gigs of sessions that I don't have backed up.

This is ruining my otherwise productive Sunday!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2003, 11:38 AM

Oh man markus,
I'm with you on this one. I had the exact same problem. Try putting your audio drive on IDE2 of the motherboard and leaving the CD/DVD disconnected for now. On the jumpers, see what happens when you put both drives on "select", then try system "Master" and audio "select". Then try system "Master" and audio "slave". If these don't work, you may need to get professional hard drive help here in getting your sessions off that drive. Somewhere along the process there may have been some instruction written to the boot sector of your audio drive that is messing XP up, or this sector was damaged which is not a good thing. I had this happen with one drive already and had to do a complete reformat of it in order for it to work again. Yes, it sucked and I lost some pictures.

In the future, I'd recommend at least backing up to a folder on your system drive as it is really fast and at least you have it on two drives. Ideally you would use an external firewire drive or DVD for larger sessions and keep the backup in another location. YOu know that already though.

Another thought I was having is trying it on another WinME or Win98SE computer. I find it easier to work with hard drive problems on these OS over XP and it is easier to boot from a floppy with the older Win OS. Someone had a site where you could create multiple XP boot floppies though. That might work too. You have to figure out a way to boot while that audio drive is connected though and I don't think the CD is going to help you here as it seeks out the hard drive instructions in XP.

Wishing you the best bro.

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 11:55 AM

are you guys clear on cable select? I just searched for info, and found:
http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/cablesel.htm

Summary - if you try to use cable select:
- both drives on the cable need to support CS
- both drives on the cable need to be set for CS
- it needs to be a cable wired for CS. Some are, some aren't - and it's not necessarily visually apparent. The IDE cable supplied with the A7V8X-X supports cable select, that's why the connectors have different colors.

This can be very confusing, so I normally disable cable select on all my drives, and correctly configure the master/slave jumpers.

Old 07-27-2003, 12:09 PM

You are THE MAN Allen! Second Mobo IDE was the way to go. Figures it was the ONLY thing I hadn't tried [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Am now copying 28gigs of PT sessions to a folder on my System drive and then I am reformatting that mother to NTFS.

On another topic, why did you go back to the old Asus Mobo from the A7V8X-X? I thought running the A7V8X-X with AMD XP3000 Barton and 512 PC2700 DDR was the BEST system (most plugs and tracks) I could put together. Now it seems as though I might be going down the wrong path....

Can I overclock the XP3000? If so, where's the link?

Thanks again mate!
Old 07-27-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markus44uk:
You are THE MAN Allen! Second Mobo IDE was the way to go. Figures it was the ONLY thing I hadn't tried [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Am now copying 28gigs of PT sessions to a folder on my System drive and then I am reformatting that mother to NTFS.

On another topic, why did you go back to the old Asus Mobo from the A7V8X-X? I thought running the A7V8X-X with AMD XP3000 Barton and 512 PC2700 DDR was the BEST system (most plugs and tracks) I could put together. Now it seems as though I might be going down the wrong path....

Can I overclock the XP3000? If so, where's the link?

Thanks again mate!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not to worry mate,
That A7V8X-X motherboard will kick plenty of Mac and Intel butts in here believe me. I went back to the A7V333-X because we hit a sweet spot with that motherboard here with PTLE and I haven't had an A7V8X-X or A7N8X yet that has done as well with the same processor. We just ran out of them as they are being discontinued, but I found a big supply the other day so thought I'd take advantage of it.
Overclocking the XP3000+ should work as most of them are unlocked already. I would give it some burn in time at default speeds for a couple days, and monitor your temps during this time. Then in the bios you should be able to use a bus frequency of 166 (fsb333) and multiplier of 14.5 for 2.4Ghz. Let me know what your multiplier goes up to on that A7V8X-X.

Congrats on the hard drive issue. When you get a chance please post your complete system and let me know what ram you are using too.

Thanks and enjoy,
Old 07-27-2003, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markus44uk:
Well, I still haven't loaded PT 6.1 yet as it is in the mail from the US. My digibox is also i Ireland being repaired (faulty Mon switch) so I'm probably at least a week or so away from full implementation. I'll be installing Waves Platinum, Amplitube and Autotune 3 which I think pretty much gives you what you need to do decent sessions.

As it stands now, my system is the old Allenstein system when it was the T-bird 1.4 and the Asus A7M266, Enermax case and 350 powersupply. Volcano 11+ Xaser heatsink and fan, AMD XP3000 Barton and 1 stick of 512 PC2700 DDR memory per your ALlentsein spec a few weeks ago. Only new stuff is the memory, mobo, processor and heatsink.

Don't even have the PT PCI in yet...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">markus,
That will be a great system for PTLE. I just about sunk my teeth into the exact same setup a week ago, but I wasn't ready to let go of my A7M266 just yet. I bought that XP-TMC multiplier tool for 29.00 and I'm running my XP2100 at over 2.1Ghz now and stable. I love this motherboard and hope that AMD makes another one like it for the Clawhammer. So that is two years on the same motherboard now with two different processors, 1.33 T-bird and my XP2100+ running at XP3000+ speeds. Total cost of upgrades in two years:
XP2100+ 65.00
XP-TMC 32.00
Total=$97.00

Oh yea I lost my watercooling system so I added the Volcano 9 last year for replacement. That was another 30.00. Then I upgraded to WinXP for another 90.00. So 100.00 a year for upgrades is good for me. Only thing I would change is to either get my water cooling fixed, or get the Thermalright SK-7 with the Panaflo fan for cooling and lower noise. I'm set for now though. Yea right!!!

Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 02:19 PM

Just added the Best Laptop for PTLE to the first post. That should be a big boost to all those people running around looking for info. We actually have a few supported systems now listed on the compatibility pages.

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/002/

Enjoy everyone. I'm ready for another break now.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:25 PM

Allen,

I ordered the xp1700 from newegg and the a7v8x-x. I also bought the volcano 11 off ebay. i have right now an abit kr7a-133 board with xp2100 but haven't been able to overclock except to about 1.86 ghz stablely, and the temps were very high...I think I have th volcano 7 or something like that.

Anyway, I'm thinking about selling the volcano 11 and getting the thermalright with the panaflo. What size panaflo do I need to get?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Matthew 6:33
www.NamesakeRecording.com
Old 07-27-2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jburn34:
Allen,

I ordered the xp1700 from newegg and the a7v8x-x. I also bought the volcano 11 off ebay. i have right now an abit kr7a-133 board with xp2100 but haven't been able to overclock except to about 1.86 ghz stablely, and the temps were very high...I think I have th volcano 7 or something like that.

Anyway, I'm thinking about selling the volcano 11 and getting the thermalright with the panaflo. What size panaflo do I need to get?

Thanks,
Jeremy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I listed the 80mm Panaflo L1A. Seems to be the most popular one used by the overclockers now. The other one is the Thermaltake SmartFan II, but I don't think it is as quiet as the Panaflo.
Let me know how it goes for you.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:08 PM

OK ALlen, here goes, I reformatted the audio drive to NTFS and ran chkdsk and there are no errors. I put the CD back on IDE 2 on the Mobo and have system drive on IDE1 and Audio drive on IDE2 on the promise controller.

During boot, the Promise controller sees the two disks, then NOTHING! The damn thing won't load XP. If I pull the Audio Drive from the Promise and leave it hanging, no problems....

what shall I try now? Jumper settings? It seems as though the BIOS may not be seeing the System drive...how can I check this out and more importantly, how can I get the second drive going again. How would it work if I put system drive on Mobo primary, audio drive on Mobo secondary and then ran the DVD and CD players off the promise? What do you think the performance would be then?

I really think the solution is to figure out why the "proper" setup isn't booting....

as usual, any suggestions would be appreciated....I wish I hadn't given away my old Mobo....(I vouldn't find anyone who would pay for it...)