How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2023, 06:42 PM

Default Pro Tools Helper Tool Problem

Hello all,

I have been searching the DUC for answer to this fix and every post I find no-one answers with a fix. Every time I start PT I get the message Pro Tools is trying to install a new helper tool. I saw a fix on the Pro Tools expert guy but that didi work either. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 8.13.25 PM.png (50.2 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.11 | Dolby Atmos Render 5.2 & Album Assembler 1.3 | RME BabyFace Pro FS | UA Native Plugins & Sphere LX | SSL UC1 | 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max 12 Core CPU 38 Core GPU | MacOs 13.5.0 | Genelec 8020D & Yamaha MSP10 | Korg Kronos LS | Sonarworks Sound ID | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | DT 880 PRO | DT 770 Pro | etc.

Last edited by ZoeMusic; 01-18-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Helper Tool Problem

I've had that happen sometimes when installing a newer version of Pro Tools. I never had a problem with it. I just typed in my Mac password and the helper app was installed.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:17 AM

Anybody found a solution to this? running into the same issue, but with PT for developers
Old 03-28-2023, 08:14 AM

System settings >> Privacy & Security, scroll down and you may find that the OS has blocked the final steps of the PT installer and needs your permission.

I do believe you need to have the "helper" installed and loading for PT to run. You should be able to do that by just responding to that password request screen, but I'm not sure.

Also check System Settings >> General >> Login Items, turn on "Avid Pro Tools" and restart. That should stop that screen from reappearing.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 03-31-2023, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
System settings >> Privacy & Security, scroll down and you may find that the OS has blocked the final steps of the PT installer and needs your permission.

I do believe you need to have the "helper" installed and loading for PT to run. You should be able to do that by just responding to that password request screen, but I'm not sure.

Also check System Settings >> General >> Login Items, turn on "Avid Pro Tools" and restart. That should stop that screen from reappearing.
Can't see anything relevant in the 'privacy & security' settings of the system preferences.

I noticed something: if I try to install PT while the Ilok app is open, the Ilok app crashes towards the end of the PT installation, complaining about some background component missing and requesting to update (obviously the app is up to date), the PT installation ends (apparently) with no problems.

Then PT does this thing where it asks me to install an helper tool and when I give permission crashes complaining about an helper tool, exactly as showed in the first post of this thread.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:11 AM

I see you using Apollo.

After less than 30 s after i searched Google for:

"avid pro tools helper first launch"

I found this:

UPDATE HERE: As crazy as it sounds, the issue seemed to be coming from my Apollo interface. I turned off my Apollo, waited about 15 minutes, restarted my computer, turned the Apollo back on and it seemed to resolve the issue. I can't say whether this will fix the issue for other users, but it did for me. The whole time I was trying different software fixes, but never thought about the hardware. Silly me.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=375411

Check it out. I am not sure.

I've seen this popup after installs or updates. I've always just entered password once for each version.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-17-2023, 06:02 PM

Did anyone solve this problem? I too am in the exact same boat. I've tried everything people have already listed including:

Looking in Privacy and Security, I am not seeing anything being blocked. When I look at all the categories under Privacy, any category that has Pro Tools in it is granted permission.

Under Login items, under Open and Login, nothing but a couple unrelated apps show up there. Under allow in the Background, I have :Avid Link, Avid Pro Tools, Avid Technology Inc , com.apple.musicapps.installerhelpertool, all allowed in the background.

I've tried uninstalling Pro Tools and then reinstalling Pro Tools.

I've gone into preferences and deleted com.avid.bsd.shoetoolv120.plist and com.avid.bsd.shoetoolv120 (I can't remember exact locations, but two of them).

Still, when I launch Pro Tools for the first time, I get the same error the original poster shared: "Pro Tools is trying to install a new helper tool"

Of course, I can enter my password and go on and everything is good. The problem I have is that other engineers use my computer and I don't want to give them my password, but if they ever start up or restart the computer, I'll need to give it to them.

------------

I forgot to mention, I do not have an Apollo Interface. I do own some of the new native plugins from UA
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-18-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Still, when I launch Pro Tools for the first time, I get the same error the original poster shared: "Pro Tools is trying to install a new helper tool"
And what happens when you launch PT the 2nd time? When you grant permission to install its "Helper Tool" on the initial launch, maybe check your security settings at that moment to be sure it's not being blocked. For a while (can't remember which OS) the grant permission option in the security pane would only show for a certain amount of time and then go away - which wasn't much help.

Just an idea.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 10-23-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
And what happens when you launch PT the 2nd time? When you grant permission to install its "Helper Tool" on the initial launch, maybe check your security settings at that moment to be sure it's not being blocked. For a while (can't remember which OS) the grant permission option in the security pane would only show for a certain amount of time and then go away - which wasn't much help.

Just an idea.
All consecutive times I launched Pro Tools, it wouldn't ask. Once I reboot, it would ask all over again. However, I am having so many issues on Ventura beyond this one. So I have now rolled back to Big Sur and things are all great again.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-18-2024, 08:44 AM

I'm in the same boat; consecutive restarts of Pro Tools, no pop-up, but as soon as I restart my computer, it comes back again.