How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Default Re: SOS Article on Pro Tools Most Requested Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
IMHO the most requested feature should be to do away with subscription model! LOL

We are also involved in the graphic design industry and paid big $$$ years ago to buy into Creative suites packages and upgrades. Not fair to pay monthly rates just to operate the software.

The subscription might not hurt really busy companies, however our particular niche has changed drastically and we no longer make any where close to what we did in previous years.
I too am on Creative Cloud. I HATE subscription Models. However, we can really thank Apple and Co. They update their OS so fast and make it very tasty to upgrade to them. Causing the Software Third Party Developers to HAVE to keep updating their software to be able to cope with Apple's new inventions. Alas - AVID is charging for updates via their subscription which are NOT utilizing Apple's newest technology. That is why we continue to see Pro Tools performance degradations. They 'do' something that enables Protools to run on the newest software but that is NOT the same as taking advantage of the new technology. Same goes for Adobe. And I DO NOT see why I have to pay for a software which becomes slower and slower for each OS Upgrade, especially when they 'claim' to charge this fee to bring the software up to speed every year.

OS X is EXTREMELY Advanced and one can achieve extraordinary performance on macOS Sierra - IF and only IF one uses the 'new' ways of thinking. I know - because I am a developer of High Speed Graphics Software myself. I also know how cumbersome it is to transit from one OS to the Next. And HOW difficult it is to maintain backwards compatibility.

Then again, AVID and Adobe offers perpetual licenses and NO ONE forces ANYONE to upgrade their Money-Making Computer to the latest greatest, aside from one self. So if set up your computer today and LEAVE it alone and purchase a MacBook Pro or iPad and experiment with that.

For a Music Production Guy - A Computer should be able to record and compose Music. Well that IS and WAS possible with OS X Leopard and PT 8/9. If we all were not so tech-horny - we would NEVER update a running system and we would thus FORCE the developers to take VERY different routes....

Anyone using AVID today and HATE the Subscription Model... Understand THIS - YOU made it possible for AVID to enter that route - NOT the other way around !
Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
VST doesn't do automation very well, that's why...
???

Seems like a shaky extrapolation of an ambiguous quote from AAX's developer (on pro-tools-expert): "VST is a good format, but it doesn’t have the processing code isolated enough to run on DSP. So, Native only. It also take different stances with respect to coefficient generation and handling of automation, which we don’t think scales as well up to very large sessions."

Is that where you got the idea from? Or do you have examples of big sessions with VST automation screwing things up?

I've had AAX automation screw up, at least on playback, and I've read similar f-ups here. I'mma need more infos before buying into sweeping statements like "vst doesn't do automation very well."
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM

What makes you say that? I use VST automation all the time, and every parameter can be automated. I've never had the slightest issue. For me, it's been much easier in (insert name of a different DAW here) than doing automation in PT.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Automating them could not be simpler. I use VST Automation even inside of NI Maschine where VST are A LOT more reliable than AUs which are a total disaster.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:36 PM

I use both VST and AAX, and to me, automation is very similar between the two.

AAX does offer DSP for Avid cards and controllers though, and I think that's it's big plus. I know it is for me.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-09-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
How many of those other daw's are DSP systems?
It doesn't matter and, as others have pointed out many times in the past and now, all DAWs can be used with DSP from other manufacturers (even PT). PT competes with multiple other DAWs out there as a standalone sw system, too.

If the point is that Avid had to put more resources into DSP and HW development instead of developing the sw then that is their prerogative. If that means that it is then OK that the sw part lags in stability and features compared to several others then I guess most Avid HW owners must be happy campers nowadays and will remain so as long as the resources are mainly targeted on the DSP development.
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Wow, alternative facts for Avid users.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
Wow, alternative facts for Avid users.
very good ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 PM

Avid stopped listening to us years ago.
Pro tools 8 had 175 new features
Proc Tools 9,10,11,12 combined had less the 150 new features
Pro tools 8 cost was $200
9/10/11/12 cost was $2500
you do the math.
FWIW Plugin chains have been in Venue software for years....
and the Slate Raven software has so many features that should be in Pro Tools - but they are not because the people who had vision at Avid have all been fired
When I go to NAMM and AES taking to Avid reps is bit like talking to Micky Mouse @ Disneyland it's a lot of fun but nothing of value ever happens.
Avid's idea of new features is taking feature in HD and putting the into Vanilla PT