Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-26-2019, 11:32 PM

Default Re: How to go from Apple TV digital out to MTRX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
That's interesting, thx. I'm going to experiment with switch instead of sum with the Neutrik to see what that may do, if anything. But then I can't keep the system in switch mode permanently...
Why not? As long as you are using Pro Tools at separate times from the TV (no session open) it doesn't matter. If you want both concurrently, you need SRC to deal with non-synchronizable sources.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The MTRX never runs on any clock but its own internal. What it does do is reference external clocks. There is a difference. It buffers the incoming clock to find the sample rate and then matches it internally.

(I use an RME ADI-192. Optical in (2 channel), AES out, clocks to MTRX (master), with SRC turned on in the ADI-192. That way I can sum sources. Prior to having SRC in the chain, I used an optical to spdif coax converter with a Neutrik 75ohm to 110ohm impedance converter to hook to an AES input but then sources need to be set to switch and not sum in DADman. I also have a Dolby DP564 for multichannel decoding which can take an optical bitstream source and reference/lock to an external wordclock (MTRX as master) and output multichannel AES which feeds into the MTRX as a source.)
Can you explain the relationship between Switch and Sum on the MTRX Sources and sampling rate? Even if you have the MTRX sync setting "Adapt to" set to AES input, switching sources won´t change this setting I guess, but I might be wrong.

I understand Switch or Sum modes as a way to enable one and cut all other sources (Switch) or being able to monitor the sum of various sources at the same time (Sum). If sources have different inputs and those inputs when digital have different sampling rates, how can in Switch mode change the "Adapt to" parameter to change say, from Protools to AES in the case of the OP example just when selecting it´s corresponding sources?

I think that one viable option(as the OP only wants the Apple TV out for leisure) is to save two dms files, one set with the MTRX set to adapt to AES and the other to whatever clock/FS the user wants. By recalling one or the other, will switch the sync settings accordingly. Monitor profile settings file remains the same with either loaded dms file.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-28-2019, 06:26 PM

Aha! So BScout, you are right. Putting it in Switch mode with the Neutrik worked, no dropouts. So that was the issue, and Paulo, your advice was spot-on. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Aha! So BScout, you are right. Putting it in Switch mode with the Neutrik worked, no dropouts. So that was the issue, and Paulo, your advice was spot-on. Thanks!
Glad it worked

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 02-08-2020, 11:51 AM

How about extracting the (multichannel) audio stream from hdmi from Apple TV?
with http://www.arvus.io/hdmi-2a.html for instance?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Looks like a pro level product. Will keep that in mind. Thanks.