Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Routing Vienna Ensemble Pro to Pro Tools 9 on one computer?

Hi. This question is for all the VEPro users out there. I just purchased Pro Tools 9 and Vienna Ensemble Pro and was wondering how I could route audio from Vienna Ensemble Pro to PT9 using a single computer. Do I need additional hardware? Or can this be done internally?

Thanks.
Vienna Ensemble Pro | Eleven LE | Metal Amp Room
Hybrid | Prominy S C | Steven Slate Drums Platinum | Strike
Structure LE
| sE Reflection Filter | Peavey ReValver MK III
Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Routing Vienna Ensemble Pro to Pro Tools 9 on one computer?

Hi, you must open first the Vienna Ensemble Pro Server (64 or 32 bit),
then open Pro Tools, create an instrument track and open the Vienna Ensemble Pro plug in. That's it.
Daniele
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM

You can also route the individual outputs from Vienna Ensemble Pro (VE) into separate Instrument Tracks in Pro Tools (PT). Here's how:

Let's say you want to create a session for a string quartet, consisting of 2 violins, 1 viola, and 1 cello.
1. Launch the VE server.
2. In PT, create 4 stereo Instrument Tracks.
3. Instantiate VE on the first Instrument Track, and "connect" it via the VE server interface to an instance of VE.
4. In PT, assign the MIDI OUT (not AUDIO OUT) of tracks 1-4 to VE MIDI channels 1-4.
5. In VE, create 4 channel strips and name them (Violin 1, Violin 2, etc.).
6. In VE, assign the MIDI IN of each channel strip to MIDI channels 1-4. (This connects the MIDI OUT from PT to VE.)
7. In VE, load your samples into each channel (violin, viola, cello, etc.).
8. In VE, assign the AUDIO OUT of the Channels as follows (This is found at the bottom of each channel, in a small drop-down menu.): Channel 1 to NET 1/NET 2, Channel 2 to NET 3/NET 4, Channel 3 to NET 5/NET 6, Channel 4 to NET 7/NET 8, etc. (This sends the audio of VE out.)
9. In PT, assign the AUDIO IN (not MIDI IN) of each track as follows: track 2 from "Out 3/4," track 3 from "Out 5/6" track 4 from "Out 7/8," etc. By default, track 1 receives audio from "Out 1/2." (This connects the audio from VE to PT.)
10. You should now be able to select each track in PT, and play the samples in VE using a MIDI controller.
11. At this point, you may want to also create a stereo Aux Track in PT, instantiate a reverb unit on it, and create sends from each track to the Aux Track. This will give some reverb to the samples, and you can control the amount using the send on each track.

This setup allows you to mix in PT rather than VE. You could mix in VE if you want to, but since the PT transport doesn't work when in VE, mixing in PT is easier to me.

Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Hey! Thanks for the tips. I've successfully got the connection. :)

Question:

So I have Kontakt Player 4 loaded in Vienna Ensemble Pro. I am using the Prominy SC library that has a double tracked guitar. It uses midi channel 1, for the first guitar and midi channel 2 for the 2nd guitar. It uses output 1&2 for one guitar and output 3&4 for the 2nd guitar. I can route the audio for the first guitar into Pro Tools, but I can't get the 2nd one to work.

Any suggestions?
Structure LE
Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 PM

I figured it out. I had to create an input track in VEPro.
Structure LE
Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdugan View Post
You can also route the individual outputs from Vienna Ensemble Pro (VE) into separate Instrument Tracks in Pro Tools (PT). Here's how:

Let's say you want to create a session for a string quartet, consisting of 2 violins, 1 viola, and 1 cello.
1. Launch the VE server.
2. In PT, create 4 stereo Instrument Tracks.
3. Instantiate VE on the first Instrument Track, and "connect" it via the VE server interface to an instance of VE.
4. In PT, assign the MIDI OUT (not AUDIO OUT) of tracks 1-4 to VE MIDI channels 1-4.
5. In VE, create 4 channel strips and name them (Violin 1, Violin 2, etc.).
6. In VE, assign the MIDI IN of each channel strip to MIDI channels 1-4. (This connects the MIDI OUT from PT to VE.)
7. In VE, load your samples into each channel (violin, viola, cello, etc.).
8. In VE, assign the AUDIO OUT of the Channels as follows (This is found at the bottom of each channel, in a small drop-down menu.): Channel 1 to NET 1/NET 2, Channel 2 to NET 3/NET 4, Channel 3 to NET 5/NET 6, Channel 4 to NET 7/NET 8, etc. (This sends the audio of VE out.)
9. In PT, assign the AUDIO IN (not MIDI IN) of each track as follows: track 2 from "Out 3/4," track 3 from "Out 5/6" track 4 from "Out 7/8," etc. By default, track 1 receives audio from "Out 1/2." (This connects the audio from VE to PT.)
10. You should now be able to select each track in PT, and play the samples in VE using a MIDI controller.
11. At this point, you may want to also create a stereo Aux Track in PT, instantiate a reverb unit on it, and create sends from each track to the Aux Track. This will give some reverb to the samples, and you can control the amount using the send on each track.

This setup allows you to mix in PT rather than VE. You could mix in VE if you want to, but since the PT transport doesn't work when in VE, mixing in PT is easier to me.

Enjoy!
Was hoping to do the same thing with superior drummer 2 drum mixer.. alast haven't found how yet. Might have to do this in VE to get the same result.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Hello,

I tried running these steps for pro tools 10, and I also tried the VE manual. I'm not getting any signal through pro tools. I get signal in VE but it isn't getting routed to Pro tools. Is anyone else having this issue in PT 10. Also I am using the VE5 Demo could this be the issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 AM

Routing for midi is a nightmare. My instruments each also had individual specs for input and output so I'm not really sure how to set it up. (Using EWQL)

And I'm not understanding the plus/minus feature...

Can someone please make a video tutorial or something?

Thanks!

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Did you have any luck?
I posted a lengthy note (29 March 13) about my VEP5/PT10 HDX) problems on Pro Tools 10 Discussion. With ONE instance it's great. With two it's a nightmare for me. It seems I can either get one or the other instance to get MIDI. I believe I've figured out the port deal, and I believe I've assigned everything right. But my faith is wobbling!

To make things worse, it worked a few times but then when I went to test it receiving on ANOTHER MIDI channel (same port) it lost it all.

Anyone have a clue? Has anyone experienced this?
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com