Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Default HD Native low latency monitoring

Anyone understanding how this works?

As far as I can make out, it's the same as a F/W interface with LE, except you can choose which outputs to use as the low latency ones, rather than it only ever being 1&2...?

And if this is the case (someone please tell me I'm being a tit and I'm completely wrong), how would one give a singer reverb in their headphones?

Also, what does this mean:

"With HD OMNI, Delay Compensation is not supported on Monitor output paths. Delay Compensation is only supported on physical output paths (those not assigned for the Monitor path)."

?

Ta
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Re: HD Native low latency monitoring

Zigactly the same question I wanted to ask while perusing the manual.

Anyone?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Yes, low-latency monitoring work as it is working on le.
You can still use reverb (for example) in the cue mix, just use the fx on an aux input, that's it. (same input on aux)
Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Yes, low-latency monitoring work as it is working on le.
You can still use reverb (for example) in the cue mix, just use the fx on an aux input, that's it. (same input on aux)
You can't do this in LE though, and I don't see how it'll work here - If I'm, for example, listening to the mix on 1&2, and want to send the artist headphone mix out 3&4, I set output 3&4 to low latency monitoring mode and they can hear themselves delay free, but with no plugins - this applies to the aux;s as well on LE.

so... What's the deal? Unless avid have snuck some basic TDM into the new i/o's (which I thought they would, what with mbox's now being able to put zero latency reverb in a singers headphones), are we stuffed still?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamM View Post
You can't do this in LE though, and I don't see how it'll work here - If I'm, for example, listening to the mix on 1&2, and want to send the artist headphone mix out 3&4, I set output 3&4 to low latency monitoring mode and they can hear themselves delay free, but with no plugins - this applies to the aux;s as well on LE.

so... What's the deal? Unless avid have snuck some basic TDM into the new i/o's (which I thought they would, what with mbox's now being able to put zero latency reverb in a singers headphones), are we stuffed still?
As I understand it, Create an audio track for the singer. Send it to Mon 1&2 and to Output 3-4 (for headphones). Set 3-4 to low latency. next, create an aux. Send the audio channel to it using a bus, put effects on it (verb), and assign it to Output 3-4. Singer will now have low latency of their track plus reverb in their headphones.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
As I understand it, Create an audio track for the singer. Send it to Mon 1&2 and to Output 3-4 (for headphones). Set 3-4 to low latency. next, create an aux. Send the audio channel to it using a bus, put effects on it (verb), and assign it to Output 3-4. Singer will now have low latency of their track plus reverb in their headphones.
Probably not, cause "Only tracks with input from an audio interface (not an internal mix bus) use Low Latency Monitor- ing." < From HD Native User Guide
Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
If it works like that then great, but I suspect because the aux is still recieving an input, and because it's outputting on the low latency channel, all plug-ins will be disabled. I've spent days of my life trying to get this happening on LE, but it just doesn't.

That said, avid will have a fix - they have to - it's completely unprofessional and unworkable to not be able to give a singer reverb. Whether it'll be in the new software release (hd native guide says 8.5 on it...) which allows one to select which individual tracks it wants to reflect back out, or I'm just missing something (hopefully) I don't know. There's certainly no reason why it shouldn't work - this is exactly how I work in Nuendo - direct monitoring in rme's software, and a fully wet signal sent out've nuendo - it's just a clunky way of working. Please give me a button avid. On the channel.

Or tell me the shut-up because I haven't read the release properly
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamM View Post
If it works like that then great, but I suspect because the aux is still recieving an input, and because it's outputting on the low latency channel, all plug-ins will be disabled. I've spent days of my life trying to get this happening on LE, but it just doesn't.
I think somehow this works in the new system. See below taken from another thread, which I believe is coming from an Avid rep.

"Q:

Will this card let me run DSP on tracks in record?

A:

yes. And when you are using a 64-sample buffer at 96k, your throughput latency is 1.6 ms. If you turn up the buffer size and need a direct monitoring solution, you have the option to identify a low latency monitor path and monitor your inputs directly from the hardware. When doing that, the input source doesn't hit the mixer so you would be bypassing any plug-ins. However, you can use a separate aux to monitor with time-based effects like reverb. Of course, if you want guaranteed peak performance and ultra-low latency, Pro Tools|HD systems with dedicated DSP give you a throughput latency of .44 ms with the new I/O (again, at 96k)."

---
I've never gotten this to work in LE either, but I can see how it could be possible. With Low Latency mode engaged, you're listening to the audio that you are recording direct from the converters before it goes down the cable to the computer, avoiding the buffer, etc. So naturally you're not gonna be able to hear plugin insert effects like eq or compression on the signal since you're hearing it before it gets there. However, with time-based fx like verb and delay on an aux, you should theoretically be able to hear them since due to the nature of those FX you hear them after the signal itself. So in a sense, the "latent" signal that's actually being recorded is the thing being effected and you should be able to hear that. Only difference is you're hearing the FX on the slightly delayed signal, so in the case of reverb that should be like a tiny pre-delay which should barely be noticeable at lower buffer settings.

Has anyone ever gotten this to work somehow in LE?? Trust me, I've tried too and failed, so a solution like this in HD Native is a big bonus.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Maybe the whole thing will work just fine without using low latency monitoring and by just having it at the lowest possible buffer and high sampling rate like 96k. Though it can turn out to be a pretty expensive trial.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM

This is to be the BIG question about PT HD native. I'm wondering why no one from AVID just chime in and let everything clear!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0