How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2020, 01:07 PM

Default HELP!!! Two different ProTools Rigs in different cities won't launch

Nothing but the bobbing App Icon.
Both of us worked all day yesterday w/o Issues. Now nothing.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:08 PM

Default Re: HELP!!! Two different ProTools Rigs in different cities won't launch

Alos, Avid Link isn't responding
Old 11-12-2020, 01:26 PM

Default ProTools will not open!

My other engineer is booked right now and none of our Rigs will boot Protools.
It also took about 20 minutes to open Avid Link.
Is this related to the website being down?

I tried to contact support only to be told I have no support contract, despite seeing in under my account. Then it just hangs up on me.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Re: HELP!!! Two different ProTools Rigs in different cities won't launch

We are unable to provide any suggestions in the short term here due to the huge amount of systems info and detailed list of troubleshooting you have provided. Just too much information to possibly wade through.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Default Re: ProTools will not open!

Is the iLok with the Protools license inserted in a USB port?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-12-2020, 01:43 PM

In a moment of panic, your sarcasm is just what I needed. Thanks for that.

Mac Mini 2018 on Catalina 10.15.4 / PT 2019.12 On two Rigs
Third is a MacBook Pro on Mojave running 2019.12
Old 11-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Looks like I'm up and running again. Apparently Adobe was having similar issues. Net attack?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:29 PM

Panicking will not solve problems. C'mon man folks will help you if you help yourself.

Interface? driver version?
What changed? (is macOS auto update enabled?... check even if you think not)
Any antivirus etc. software installed? If so uninstall it completely.

Things to try in rough order... big bold fast steps...

Does your bootable backups show the same problem?

Trash prefs (Use PT Prefs and trash everything/make backups if you want).

Make sure you are not getting pop-up alerts hiding behind other Windows... **** down all other apps and close all finder windows while trying to start Pro Tools.

Run the uninstallers to remove Link and Cloud Collaboration components... just get that crapware off your system.

Unplug everything you can, including interfaces, other peripherals and reboot the Mac. Leave all that hardware unpluged.

Hold down 'N' key while starting Pro Tools and select built-in output or whatever it's called on you system.... but if the icon still wants to bob I'm going to assume that does not help you...

What is written to the Pro Tools logs ~/Logs/Avid/ProTools*.txt... I'm assuming there will be nothing it its not launching but check anyhow.

Create a new Admin account and tty launching from there.

Look in Preferences>Users&Groups for any "Login Items" added in that new account and disable and try again from that account.

Disable all other crapware running on your systems, cloud drive software, etc.

Remove the app and reinstall... from that new admin account.
Immediately run the uninstallers to remove Link and Cloud Collaboration components... Link is never going to help you solve issues and is just a mess.

The moment you get to a Pro Tools Splash screen things change and if still there are other problems let us know.

All that fails do a full clean macOS install on a spare drive or container, install Pro Tools only and test that starts up OK. If you run a studio/depend on this stuff you should at a minimum have multiple bootable backups, but also not a bad idea to have a clone of a pristine macOS install you can then update.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
Looks like I'm up and running again. Apparently Adobe was having similar issues. Net attack?
Good to hear... but why are you dependent on the network like this? Are you on iLok Cloud? If this was Avid Link induced I would uninstall that... but then I'd uninstall it for lots of reasons including security and performance concerns.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:41 PM

Default Re: ProTools will not open!

yes, iLoks were there. It had something to do with Avid Link being unable to connect to the server. I restarted and let avd link do it's thing for 20 minutes and once it connected all PT launched fine. This happened on three different rigs in three different cities.

All where on different OS / PT combos.