Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Will PT Ever Come To iPad Pro?

I don't know - it probably still is the industry standard, if you measure the right things. Whereas 20 years ago it was probably in 80%+ of all commercial studios, it may be something like 40%+ (only a guess), but the rest is shared out between a lot of other software. And lots of people (including me) keep a copy so they can transfer sessions but no longer use it as the centre-piece. More importantly, there are far fewer big studios now, especially outside of the US and lots of one-man studios and project studios, turning out a large proportion of what gets released.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Well, there was a reply from SouthSideMusic, who I think is a mod, which seems to have disappeared. His general point was that I don't know what I'm talking about. So, perhaps they would like to answer the question with some authoritative information. I'm quite happy to back off............
Old 11-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Well, there was a reply from SouthSideMusic, who I think is a mod, which seems to have disappeared. His general point was that I don't know what I'm talking about. So, perhaps they would like to answer the question with some authoritative information. I'm quite happy to back off............
Well I changed my mind as I didn’t feel like argueing with anyone about this BUT PT is in ALL commercial studios and saying 40% ... yeah then you dont know what you are talking about. I am Most definitely Not a shill of any kind and members here know this but whether we like it or not PT is the industry standard in all parts of the world when you are talking about professionals in commercial studios and mix and mastering engineers. For people in their bedroom playing beats calling them songs ... not soo much! But if we have a a-list artist here which we do quite often and pull up logic or reaper they sure as hell would not care one iota what DAW we use as long as the music is A+ but if we went to a mix post or mastering house and they said they mix our songs in reaper I would definitely care. So Industry Standard all depend on what level you are working in the business and what people you work with.

Most of the Big successful guys we work with use more than one DAW as the DAW’s are good at different things. We use LIVE10 Suite and Logic X 10.5 for most pre-production and then do most non midi work like tracking in PT via a 24 ch 2” Otari and via our SSL4056G+ console. So Yes we use other daw’s and so does most people who work with music.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Why would one want Pro Tools on an iPad? The same reason most studios use it. Session compatibility and portability. Our (and my) iPad Pro smokes all but the most stout Macbook Pros for nearly every task. For all business apps we've largely replaced Apple laptops with iPads the same way we are replacing Windows laptops with Surface Pros. All of our remote control apps are on tablets, iPadOS, Android or Surface depending on the app. Some audio processing apps as well. The exception apps are DAW, video editing and Solidworks/3D modeling. For the time being at least.

With Apple Silicon coming into play it's not going to be too much longer, a year or two, before the capabilities outpace traditional Intel designs. That's already happened on the low end. There are significant differences in the architecture that have changed the approach to microprocessors that will add the ability to scale better and process more. Apple isn't the only ARM technology coming into play. (technically Apple only licensed the core architecture not the whole design) Intel's Lakefield looks interesting combining Core and Atom but they're fairly far behind the system on a chip designs.

The current Intel/AMD designs are approaching the end of the road in terms of Moore's Law. Workstations will still be required for heavy lifting needing slots and chassis, external DSP, etc but in terms of CPU/GPU an ARM or similar SoC based technology will be the future of all computing not just tablets. If you need slots you'll have a chassis or case and motherboard but the calculations will be done with modern processors.

That's going to allow for better/easier porting of applications between devices running the same architecture rather than having to code specific versions for those devices. Because the Pro Tools codebase is such a dumpster fire it's going to take more for Avid to get it to the point where that sort of portability can be achieved and will likely require a ground up effort. I'm not so sure Avid's up to it.

Pro Tools has maintained the lion's share of audio recorders and editors because of compatibility and near universal use rather than being the best tool. If Pro Tools doesn't keep up with the technological changes over time it will become irrelevant regardless of how many use it now. That won't happen short term. I'm thinking within the next five to ten years if they don't follow the trends of modern CPU deployment. My guess is that they will deploy solutions on modern architecture though it will likely lag the rest of the industry quite a bit unless or until Avid or Pro Tools is purchased and undergoes new management and strategy.