Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Default Headphone mix bleeding to main outs

Hi, I'm using Pro Tools MP9 and a M Audio C600. I'm trying to set up individual headphone mixes for jamming, not recording. I want to use the main outs (1&2), outputs 3&4 and outputs 5&6 as three separate headphone sends. I can get outputs 3&4 and 5&6 to be independent using pre fader, but both these outputs are bleeding in to my main outs 1&2. So if I drop the main outs fader to zero I still hear sound, if I adjust the faders of the other channels it affects the main out volume. Any idea why they're bleeding into the main outputs? Cheers
Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Headphone mix bleeding to main outs

At a guess you are getting yourself confused with some hardware monitoring going on as well. The C600 Documentation will describe all that.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:30 PM

And, assuming you are using AUX sends to feed those outputs, make them all Pre-Fade so the main track faders(which will give a mix to the main outputs, won't have any effect on the sends going out the 3&4 or 5&6 outputs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks for your comments. I've attached a flow chart for my hardware, but according to the chart headphone 1 is fed by main outs (1 & 2), and headphone 2 is fed by outputs 3 & 4. If I create an Aux channel, buss all inputs to it and output it to 3&4 it's independent of headphone one, but headphone one is effected by volume changes in the headphone 2 busses and Aux channel. So I can only get a true separate mix on headphone 2. I hope that makes sense! Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png m-audio-fast-track-c600-293156.png (17.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 PM

Default Headphone mix bleeding to main outs

You are showing the low-latency hardware mixer in the interface. Are you trying to do a hardware monitor mix or a Pro Tools mix? What *exactly* are you trying to do/achieve? Do you need to be using hardware monitoring?

When you talk about changing levels where exactly are you changing them ? In Pro Tools or in the hardware mixer? What is your Pro Tools session routing?

Start by turn off all hardware mixing and effects and get this working in Pro Tools software monitoring only... and it will then be simple. You likely just have yourself confused with hardware and software monitoring/mixing both going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 AM

Hi mate. I've got mates coming around for a jam, no recording. The M Audio C600 has two headphone outs, I'm trying to give individual mixes to each heapdphone. I'm using the mixer in Pro Tools to do the routing. As a test I put a mic into ch1 and music from my phone into ch3 on the C600. In Pro tools mixer I selected input 1&2 (they're grouped) for mic and 'no output', and in sends 'a' I bussed to 7&8 and sends 'b' to buss 9&10. For music the only difference was I selected inputs 3&4 the 'no output' and bussing was the same. I then created two Aux channels, one with input buss 7&8 and the other buss 9&10. I outputted Aux 1 to main outs 1&2 and Aux 2 to outputs 3&4. Headphone 2 behaves as it should and responds to volume changes with the little faders in send 'b' on the mic and music channels (they're set to pre fader). Headphone 1 responds to volume changes in send 'a' as it should, but also to changes in send 'b'. So I'm getting a mix of send a and send b in headphone 1, which doubles the volume. According to the hardware flow chart outputs 1&2 go to headphone 1 and outs 3&4 to headphone 2. Am I doing something stupid? Cheers
Old 02-23-2018, 01:22 AM

Again, third time... you are probably getting confused between the hardware mixer (aka monitor mixer aka software control panel) in the interface and Pro Tool’s internal software mixer. In addition to what Pro Tools is showing you you also have that separate mix happening in the interface, that is where your “bleed” is coming from. The way you need to get yourself unconfused is pick either the Pro Tools mixer or hardware mixer and work out how to use it by itself. Then you can combine them later if needed for low latency tracking.

If you don’t want to record or play back from Pro Tools then use the hardware mixer in the interface by itself. Don’t even have Pro Tools running. Open the C600 manual and read how to use that mixer. That is the flow chart diagram you are looking at.
Play with all the features in the software control panel until you understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk