Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-17-1999, 01:19 PM

Default Error While Bouncing To Disk

It seems that whenever I attempt to use the bounce to disk option, be it to a mono or stereo file, 16 or 24 bit, from outputs or a bus, I get an error to the extent of 'Bounce could not be completed due to a protools error'. After this many functions such as mute buttons or solows do not work anymore until I quit and restart. I have tried in several combinations and with different sessions. Can anyone help?
Old 10-17-1999, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Error While Bouncing To Disk

I tried to look up that specific error message and didn't find anything but here are a few other things to consider:

1) DAE buffer setting either too high or too low. It's hard to say specifically without knowing more about your system but, set the DAE buffer to "2" quit DAE and Pro Tools and relaunch Pro Tools.

2) Amount of RAM allocated to DAE (and Pro Tools for that matter). It sounds like you have a 24 bit system which would suggest a minimum of a Pro Tools 24 core (d24) card.
Depending on what else you have going on with your system I would suggest allocating atleast 25 to 30 MBs of RAM to DAE and Pro Tools each. You will also want to have atleast double that amount (60 MB or so) available for the system software. Total you will need a minimum of 128 MB of system RAM but the more the better.

3) The disk cache in the memory control panel can cause problems if set too high. Set it to 256k or 512k and reboot the computer.

4) Make sure you are trying to bounce to a valid drive with enough available disk space.

Jon
Old 10-17-1999, 08:29 PM

Sorry for not posting more information about my system, I wasn't thinking. Im going to try your suggestions when I get to the studio tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a little more info:

It's a 24|Mix plus system on a beige G3. I just upped to 256Mb RAM and some cheetah drives. However I haven't made any adjustments to the memory allowcation for protools or DAE because I am not sure what they should be set to (and haven't had any out of memory errors), thanks for the suggestion (excited to try). I believe I set the buffer to the largest possible amount for no other reason than having the RAM to spare, so I'll try lowering that. The memory cash is aounr 4Mb (defaulted by MacOS), I will try lowering that as well. Thanks a million and I'll let you know my results tomorrow
Old 10-18-1999, 11:52 AM

The suggestions worked, thanks a bunch!