Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Default Re: 2018.7 So Far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
No difference for me. I've used PT since 1998 and I'm amazed this still goes on. Never used to have problems, but I have a few daily issues all the time now. I use VI's and I know that is the issue. All plugs updated but still not up to par with other composers who use other DAWS.

Back in 1993, I started my journey with Pro Tools II system, a year before Digidesign's Pro Tools II TDM was released. Using Pro Tools then was a joy for the most part. I do recall having "DAE" errors now and then but they weren't as prominent compared to the now-dreaded "917x" errors that have plagued us for what seems like a lifetime!
If I remember correctly, this popped up during the early versions of PT 11, on different OS iterations.
Till now, this issue persists. Quite disappointing for an expensive platform.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
Back in 1993, I started my journey with Pro Tools II system, a year before Digidesign's Pro Tools II TDM was released. Using Pro Tools then was a joy for the most part. I do recall having "DAE" errors now and then but they weren't as prominent compared to the now-dreaded "917x" errors that have plagued us for what seems like a lifetime!
If I remember correctly, this popped up during the early versions of PT 11, on different OS iterations.
I started around the same time, on a Mac Quadra 650.

I find it strange that mankind has the technological ability to send a space ship to our sun and another to mars, yet the 917X errors haven't been fully addressed from our previous century?

Maybe Avid might want to hire someone from NASA?
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I started around the same time, on a Mac Quadra 650.

I find it strange that mankind has the technological ability to send a space ship to our sun and another to mars, yet the 917X errors haven't been fully addressed from our previous century?

Maybe Avid might want to hire someone from NASA?
Any VIs in these sessions?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-17-2018, 02:49 PM

I don't know if it helps to know what VIs are NOT the problem. I've never experienced a 917x error. Third-party VIs I commonly use are ew Play, Arturia synths, and Superior Drummer. Also, via Bluecat's VST adapter, I use Hauptwerk.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Any VIs in these sessions?
No VIs on my end

I did notice a huge jump when PT HD was able to use 64bit, starting with PT11.

I was hoping the 16bit limitations of 3'sh GB ram going to 64bit utilizing past 64GB of ram would have completely prevented the errors.
(of coarse with the obnoxious exception of running 200 tracks with RX denoiser)
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 08-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I don't know if it helps to know what VIs are NOT the problem. I've never experienced a 917x error. Third-party VIs I commonly use are ew Play, Arturia synths, and Superior Drummer. Also, via Bluecat's VST adapter, I use Hauptwerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
No VIs on my end

I did notice a huge jump when PT HD was able to use 64bit, starting with PT11.

I was hoping the 16bit limitations of 3'sh GB ram going to 64bit utilizing past 64GB of ram would have completely prevented the errors.
(of coarse with the obnoxious exception of running 200 tracks with RX denoiser)
Thanks. Still searching for clues.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 PM

So this is interesting.. I still can't use 32 buffer.. but 32 tracks record armed at 64 buffer in 2018.7, with 2 aux reverbs, AND a pro Q2 and ProC2 on each and every one of the 32 tracks, is using perfectly even cpu across all cores.. First time I have ever seen this without spiking.. it's around 45% on the main PT meter.

so.. 32 mono tracks input monitoring armed at 64 buffer, UA Apollo's, each and every track with a comp and EQ, and 2 aux busses, one with a pro R reverb, the other with a waves supertap and R verb.

16 tracks have sends going to the pro R, the other 16 to the Supertap/Rverb. Both Aux effects are stereo.

There is no WAY I could do this at 64 buffer on any previous version without the cpu spiking red and the cores being loaded unevenly.

This is with the macbook in my sig.

If I disable turbo, it goes to 55% stable.

As soon as I get my imac pro (delivery says aug 28-30), I will format it and install OS 10.13.3, and I just hope it performs as well with PT 2018.7, as 10.12.6 does on my macbook... but of course, with exponential scaling. Considering the imac pro is at least 10% faster clock for clock than the macbook, i mean it's haswell vs skylake X, DDR4 vs DDR3, etc.. and considering it's double the core count, I would *hope* that the above example taxes my CPU no more than 25%.
If so, that means I can realistically finally ditch all universal audio products and do all monitoring through PT.. This would rock.
Might even be time to go HDN in that case :). HDN RTL at 44K at 64 buffer is still lower than my apollo chain as all the effects i use have minimum 55 samples latency *each* in console.. In HDN i will choose from the huge range of zero latency native effects...
I'll test it day one, and if it works, i'm in.
Let's just hope that 10.13.3 won't give worse performance than 10.12.6!

Anyway, PT 2018.7 so far is a very very good release, and a step in the right direction.. This is precisely what we need.. More solid releases like this..

Now off to test the midi bugs someone reported, to see if I can reproduce them :)

PS, i still get projects reloading with missing midi output links LOL.. Hope that's fixed in the release that fixes high sierra spikes and gives us track folders.

PPS, two HUGE features for me in 2018.7, the effects search box, it works! and the "on the fly" enable/disable of scrolling during playback, for the first time ever in pro tools history!

PPSS, for those curious what happens at 32 buffer, basically PT loads all cores unevenly, spikes erratically.. this is with just ONE track record armed with a reverb send. Logic can do 32 tracks at 32 samples with flying colours, with 2 aux verbs and all sends active. I can even add an EQ and comp to every track, however even though it's 100% stable, cpu usage is very high at 32 samples in logic.. ALSO, Pro tools now beats cubase at 64 samples, which has never happened before. WOW.

I keep getting so excited for the future, i keep hoping we'll get better midi (including midi plugins like step sequencers and arps), folder, melodyne integrated, better audio quantize/radius.. I just can't get past PT's workflow/GUI.. i just hope it doesn't continue to fall behind on features as it's SUCH a wonderful DAW, truly.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Are most people disabling Turbo Boost, or are some getting by just leaving it on?

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Could you tell us which VIs are the major culprits for you. It would be great to get more clues.
Latest issues have been with Kontakt. (Latest version) I had one session where I had nothing in the session but Kontakt running Sonokinetic's Sotto. Just starting the sketch; nothing else. Everytime I hit play got the error.

I think PT sometimes doesn't release the memory from VI's that you don't use. i.e. if you pull up Omnisphere and try several different 'patches' to see what works, I wonder if PT still uses that memory even though you've deleted that 'sound'. Because if I get a lot of PT errors, if I close the session and open it back up, problems are gone.

I always have run a very clean computer with PT and almost never have had issues for many many years. But the last 2 years or so, I have had many issues with VI's and video causing crashes or 'memory' issues. Definitely a drag and momentum killer...
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Latest issues have been with Kontakt. (Latest version) I had one session where I had nothing in the session but Kontakt running Sonokinetic's Sotto. Just starting the sketch; nothing else. Everytime I hit play got the error.

I think PT sometimes doesn't release the memory from VI's that you don't use. i.e. if you pull up Omnisphere and try several different 'patches' to see what works, I wonder if PT still uses that memory even though you've deleted that 'sound'. Because if I get a lot of PT errors, if I close the session and open it back up, problems are gone.

I always have run a very clean computer with PT and almost never have had issues for many many years. But the last 2 years or so, I have had many issues with VI's and video causing crashes or 'memory' issues. Definitely a drag and momentum killer...
Is Sonokinetic's Sotto the only app that causes this in Kontakt for you?

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com