Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 10:02 AM

Default OT: ASCAP and BMI

I'm sure many of you are members of either one of these, and I fully understand what they set out to do for artists, songwriters and composers. I should have joined a while ago but always put it off, but now it's time. However, a few questions are left unanswered upon visiting their websites and sending them an email.

- You can join as a composer, publisher, or both, but if you write mostly instrumentals, can you still set up a publishing company? I'm assuming yes, but I want to make sure.

- I get the impression that you can't join without having something already released, perhaps I'm misunderstanding. I thought I would join, send them what I've done so far, even though I'm not signed to a label or publisher, and this way I'm covered should any interest arise in the future.

Having said that, I just completed two remixes that will sell at the end of the year, and even though I didn't write the song, I'm apparently entitled to 'arrangement royalties', which may be nominal, but heck, why not have them, so I was told to sign up with one ASAP!

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated, as I'd rather get the forms online and send them in than go to their offices on my work time. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: OT: ASCAP and BMI

Another way that will apply to some here. I have a lot of jingles running on the radio. I got letters from the radio stations,sent them to ASCAP and got a full membership.

I have a frined who published some songs for sale on the internet and got paid for some downloads.
He was also granted full status.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 PM

Another way that will apply to some here. I have a lot of jingles running on the radio. I got letters from the radio stations,sent them to ASCAP and got a full membership.

I have a frined who published some songs for sale on the internet and got paid for some downloads.
He was also granted full status.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:21 PM

when i joined ascap, i am pretty sure i just sent them an ad from the newspaper that showed i had played a live show at an "ASCAP licensed venue".

contacting them is the best bet to answer your questions

1800-95-ASCAP.

http://ascap.com

here ya go

You can join as a writer, a publisher, or both if you meet the eligibility requirements.

To become a writer member, you must be the writer or co-writer of a musical composition or a song that has been:

commercially recorded (CD, record, tape, etc.);
or, performed publicly in any venue licensable by ASCAP (club, live concert, symphonic concert or recital venue, college or university, etc.);
or, performed in any audio visual or electronic medium (film, television, radio, Internet, cable, pay-per-view, etc.);
or, published and available for sale or rental.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:49 PM

I am a writer ASCAP member and don't have a clue what is required to publish my own material. Does anyone have a quick explanation or links to info on setting up a publishing company? Thus far I've just made up a name and copywrited my works under this name. Good topic, PK!
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 AM

bump for pk [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 12:58 AM

yes you can set up a publishing company for only instrumentals

if you don't have a commercial release - you sign up for a junior membership by providing a copyright registration (that you get back from the Library of Congress when you register your copyright) or you can base it on live performances you have done at venues that pay performance royalties. Then when you don have something released commercially - you up your membership to full status.

By the way, you can call ASCAP anytime and ask them questions they are very cool and helpful - Im sure BMI is the same way.

DECONSTRUCT
Old 07-29-2003, 06:18 AM

Hi letrev,

It is wise to start your own publishing co. so you will own all the rights to your material. If you choose to use a publisher, then you have to split all the royalties, and it gets confusing.

I am a writer with my own publishing co. with BMI, I mostly write for TV, so BMI was a better format for me. You have get all your works registered with BMI or ASCAP or SESAC to get play on TV. Then the network sends the cue sheet to BMI, and you get royalties.

To open a sole-propriatorship publishing CO. with BMI, you have to get a name cleared, (this usually takes about 2-3 months.) You also have to have works in process with the intent of broadcast. The fee for starting your own publishing with BMI is $150.00.

If you are registered as a writer with ASCAP, you have to stay with ASCAP as a publisher also. You can not switch in mid stream.

If you intend on getting your stuff out there, and making $$, I would strongly check into your own publishing. I am certainly glad I did...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kenny
Old 07-29-2003, 09:21 AM

There's a third company, aside from ASCAP and BMI which alot of instrumental artists (often Jazz or Classical) use called SESAC, and i think i heard it works better in Europe. Can't verify this though, just wanted to add one more option to explore.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bassbuddy:
Hi letrev,

If you are registered as a writer with ASCAP, you have to stay with ASCAP as a publisher also. You can not switch in mid stream.

If you intend on getting your stuff out there, and making $$, I would strongly check into your own publishing. I am certainly glad I did...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kenny
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kenny, thanks for the info! I would like to begin licensing my music for TV - too bad I chose ASCAP.

Follow-up question for you: if you are the publisher, how do you connect with the music supervisors/production companies? Short of services like TAXI, how does one make those connections (naive question, I know)...
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com