Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Re: new user, i seriously HATE this company

Another consumer lost to... Ableton?! Wow.... This should have been figured out, and the op should have registered his products and used the ASC code to call Avid for support.....
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
PT is a professional level program and that means complexity and hardware requirements.
Also, right now is very old picky code that takes some work to get running.......
You know, that right there says it in a nutshell.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by day and a project studio CCBW by night and I can tell you that high end CAD packages ( I won't AUTOmatically PROfess them here) are the same.

I also teach engineering, CAD in particular, at the community college. I wish I had a $$ for every student that used a student discount to get one of these high end parametric solid modelers at a significant savings, and then gripe because their tablet won't run it.

Point being, it is NOT the fault of the software more often than not. Sure bugs exist but that not withstanding.

Personally I have 3 separate licenses of PT running on 3 different machines. Two of which are certainly not the bleeding edge of technology, but I have yet to make it crash of its own accord.

Oh I have done stoooopid stuff and got hiccups, but that was my fault, and I know it. Ignorance ain't always bliss ya know.

It has been stated here that the salesman should explain the basic requirements of the software. Where as I cannot disagree, ultimately it is up to the buyer to assure that they have the minimum hardware to run the software. More often than not the salesman ain't got a clue.

Case in point, GC was running ProTools "seminars" this past summer locally. I went out of curiosity, and OK I admit to see if there were any swag to be had. The trainer was a salesman that had ZERO experience with Pro Tools. He was given the old Learn Pro Tools Fast videos and turned loose.

I ended up teaching the classes for him, just because I felt sorry for him because he was stumbling so bad. (I got 6 sets of strings outta it so I was happy), and I actually helped him sell at least one Mbox to a guy.

Bottom line....Hate the software and or the hardware because it sounds bad or will not function on the minimum recommended hardware.....NOT because you can't get it to function using less than the what is recommended.

Sorry for the dissertation, I am an avid fan of ProTools and I get weary of all of the hate generated because of the lack of due diligence from both a salesman and purchaser.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Yup - Let me just fire up AutoCAD and do couple quick sketches
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM

This is not a matter of how deep the program is.... there are many documented cases of this happening...

The one thing I found is that in most cases the Op's are running Windows 7 Home with Service Pack 1...

Instead of making excuses that its because PT is so complex this should be researched further so we know where the problem is... Windows 7 Home edition is my guess with what I have read but I dont use PC's I am a Mac user so I cannot test anything on the PC side... maybe someone that is can.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
And this is what the salesmen should be pointing out. Sell them a iLok. Point them towards the trial. And say "try this- see how you like it and how it works with your hardware"
This is a very important point that does not get enough emphasis. Almost every time someone comes here to rant about their new purchase of Pro Tools not working, it's because some guy in a store said they should buy it without finding out if the user is qualified or running a qualified system.

This guy really should be yelling at the guy who sold him the package in the first place, who was obviously just looking for a sale rather than actually helping the customer with getting the right tools. While the user is always responsible in the end, it doesn't help when you have a guy telling you how much you need something that they aren't even knowledgeable about themselves.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
This is not a matter of how deep the program is.... there are many documented cases of this happening...

The one thing I found is that in most cases the Op's are running Windows 7 Home with Service Pack 1...

Instead of making excuses that its because PT is so complex this should be researched further so we know where the problem is... Windows 7 Home edition is my guess with what I have read but I dont use PC's I am a Mac user so I cannot test anything on the PC side... maybe someone that is can.

Jason I'm not aware of any difference between Win7 Home, Pro or Ultimate that would cause an issue with PT. If there IS a trend here than it would be good to prove it and reproduce it and get a fix or change the compatibility documents.

One thing that should be noted is that Win7 Home is more prevalant on the entry level machines that often have issues with PT from a hardware standpoint. And that the purpose built PT rigs are probably using a clean install of Win7 vs a OEM image. I'm far more tempted to lean in favor of operater error or hardware issues than OS version here. However since you brought this up hopefully the forums sharper eyes can keep a eye out for this.

The only difference I can think of is that the Win7 Home versions lack the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) however if it was missing and needed I'm certain the PT installer would return an error. And most installers tweak the registry directly.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

If he was not on Windows Home edition you could run in windows XP mode which I think would be a much better OS for PT but home doesnt have that function...

Could be RAM chipset for all I know creating a crash when it dumps the cache upon exiting PT.... just trying to stir the pot to come up with a solution instead of excuses why it isnt working without knowing...
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
If he was not on Windows Home edition you could run in windows XP mode which I think would be a much better OS for PT but home doesnt have that function...

Could be RAM chipset for all I know creating a crash when it dumps the cache upon exiting PT.... just trying to stir the pot to come up with a solution instead of excuses why it isnt working without knowing...
Did anyone happen to notice how unqualified his system is...?

integrated graphics, only one disk drive, active wifi, bluetooth... There are a plethora of reasons why his setup might not be working. Nevermind the fact that it's a Dell.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM

I've been running W7 home with no problem since it came out.
Same codebase minus some features.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
I've been running W7 home with no problem since it came out.
Same codebase minus some features.
Good to know...

"Did anyone happen to notice how unqualified his system is...?"

Good point