Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Thinking of Adding 8 Pre’s to 003 - Different Reason

Starting to do some homework on adding a rack of 8 mic pre’s via adat or spdif to my 003.
Oddly my reasoning is I like the workflow my 003 affords me with its seamless integration with PT...I’m on 12.4 Standard.
I use mainly digital sources (Kemper,Axe3 etc) and internal VI’s and have been wondering lately about the conversion capabilities of the 003 vs a more modern bank of pre’s light piped in and already converted bypassing the 003’s conversion but retaining the integration.
No complaints with the 003 just looking at its birth certificate and starting to think the grass may be greener on the other side of the conversion
The pre’s are also fine for the bit of actual mic recording I do but also thinking if the rest of the gains were there that a bump in pre quality would be a nice bonus as well.
Am I out to lunch on this or would gains be had....
Thanks

Last edited by Studio66; 07-14-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Thinking of Adding 8 Pre’s to 003 - Different Reason

First thing; SPDIF is only good for 2 channels. Lightpipe can do 8 as long as sessions are 44.1 or 48K(no higher sample rates work, which is rarely an issue for most of us). SPDIF is easy; ART Digital MPA(budget) or API A2D(expensive, but great).

Now to lightpipe options(from someone that has used tons and still runs 003R today). The best option will be down to your budget and I will start at the low end(these are my opinion):
Behringer ADA8200(the red one). Preamps are on par or maybe better than the 003. Inputs on the front can be a buzzkill)
Presonus D8. more money, but not better IMHO.
Focusrite OctoPre(not the early silver one). Works fine, maybe a little better sounding(and maybe not). If you get the "DYNAMIC" version, you get 8 more outputs(Behringer also has this) which can be handy for headphone mixes.
Focusrite ISA428/828 w/digital card. 4(or 8) very clean preamps. The 428 has 4 line inputs where you can patch any analog preamp, which as great for patching NEVE and/or API clones(I ran pairs of Vintech and API 312 preamps when I had the 428). If buying used, avoid the Mk I version(with VU meters) as the power supply generates a ton of heat and will have failures(Mk II version does not suffer this). 828 is great, BUT not so great that I want 8 channels of it This is my second choice(with 4 more outboard preamps).
Midas XL48 This is my first choice if you record drums, because it sounds incredible on drums. Variable Hi-pass AND Lo-pass, pad and phantom on every channel. Sounds solid on most anything, but on drums, it beat my Vintech and API preamps. This unit is smack in the middle of pricing for all the above options. There are others, but these are what I have actually used

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 07-24-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio66 View Post
The pre’s are also fine for the bit of actual mic recording I do but also thinking if the rest of the gains were there that a bump in pre quality would be a nice bonus as well.
So will you actually be using up to eight or more inputs at the same time? If not, why not put your money into one or two really great mics/pre's/converters connected via s/pdif?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
First thing; SPDIF is only good for 2 channels. Lightpipe can do 8 as long as sessions are 44.1 or 48K(no higher sample rates work, which is rarely an issue for most of us). SPDIF is easy; ART Digital MPA(budget) or API A2D(expensive, but great).

Now to lightpipe options(from someone that has used tons and still runs 003R today). The best option will be down to your budget and I will start at the low end(these are my opinion):
Behringer ADA8200(the red one). Preamps are on par or maybe better than the 003. Inputs on the front can be a buzzkill)
Presonus D8. more money, but not better IMHO.
Focusrite OctoPre(not the early silver one). Works fine, maybe a little better sounding(and maybe not). If you get the "DYNAMIC" version, you get 8 more outputs(Behringer also has this) which can be handy for headphone mixes.
Focusrite ISA428/828 w/digital card. 4(or 8) very clean preamps. The 428 has 4 line inputs where you can patch any analog preamp, which as great for patching NEVE and/or API clones(I ran pairs of Vintech and API 312 preamps when I had the 428). If buying used, avoid the Mk I version(with VU meters) as the power supply generates a ton of heat and will have failures(Mk II version does not suffer this). 828 is great, BUT not so great that I want 8 channels of it This is my second choice(with 4 more outboard preamps).
Midas XL48 This is my first choice if you record drums, because it sounds incredible on drums. Variable Hi-pass AND Lo-pass, pad and phantom on every channel. Sounds solid on most anything, but on drums, it beat my Vintech and API preamps. This unit is smack in the middle of pricing for all the above options. There are others, but these are what I have actually used
As always....super helpful!!
The Midas looks like a winner.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
So will you actually be using up to eight or more inputs at the same time? If not, why not put your money into one or two really great mics/pre's/converters connected via s/pdif?
I would prefer the eight inputs as I like to leave everything hooked up and it leaves me 1 or 2 for expansion.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio66 View Post
I would prefer the eight inputs as I like to leave everything hooked up and it leaves me 1 or 2 for expansion.
I'd solve that with a patchbay.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'd solve that with a patchbay.
Well, maybe. But consider: in a small setup like Studio66, the money spent on a good patchbay and cables would cover half the price of the Midas and add many more potential failure points in the audio path(and, if you're not buying a "good" patchbay and cables, then you're wasting your money). Just an opinion

Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Well, maybe. But consider: in a small setup like Studio66, the money spent on a good patchbay and cables would cover half the price of the Midas and add many more potential failure points in the audio path(and, if you're not buying a "good" patchbay and cables, then you're wasting your money). Just an opinion
This ^^ along with the idea of having all my “standard” gear hooked up all the time and collectively passing through the new box with better preamps and conversion while still maintaining my 003 integration.
I agree it’s possibly overkill on some levels but I really like the idea of a “new box” keeping my “old box” relevant....I have the 003 and 003R.
It also affords me a few extra preamps should the need arise.
The 003 just fell into my lap recently....$300CND ( that’s what $23 US lol)and works perfectly...couldn’t resist.

Last edited by Studio66; 07-25-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 PM

Geez! And I thought I got a great deal on my 003R for $82