Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-12-2018, 04:22 PM

Default PCIe SSD's and HDX in Thunderbolt chassis?

Considering getting a Samsung blade and putting it on a PCIe card in the same Sonnet III-D chassis as my HDX card. The slots are PCI 2.0. I believe that means I'll get a max of around 850MB/sec from the drive. Is anyone else using this configuration with happiness and contentment?

_____

2013 nMP 12-Core, 64GB RAM, dual D500's. HDX. Sonnet Echo Express III-D. Samsung Q6F 65" monitor 4K@60 Hz. Thunderbay Mini, Caldigit TBolt dock.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:10 AM

Default Re: PCIe SSD's and HDX in Thunderbolt chassis?

using almost the same config here:
HDX2 in a Sonnet plus a OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCIe Drive, works great, never had a problem
Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 AM

I'm running that exact setup for my portable rig. I've got HDX2, and a Sonnet Dual SATA PCIe card with two drives (one 1TB SSD, and one 1TB spinner for backup). I bring this rig with me everywhere, and I've tracked a few projects down in Havana, and few orchestra sessions in Prague with this rig. Using Merging HORUS for my Mic Pre / AD's, and sounds stunning and has been super solid.

My ONLY complaint, is that when I get back to the hotel to do some editing (when I'm only working at or below 96kHz), I have to launch ProTools FIRST, choose the 'built-in audio' for the playback engine, and THEN plug in the thunderbolt cable to mount the drives. Otherwise, if ProTools sees the HDX cards, it won't let me launch with the built-in audio...

** EDIT (I meant to mention that most of the time, I'm tracking at 192kHz, and have between 24 and 32 tracks in record while tracking, with QuickPunch enabled)

*** ANOTHER EDIT (I also forgot to mention that I'm currently using a Samsung 850 PRO SSD)

Last edited by Mixchump; 08-13-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 08-14-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
I'm running that exact setup for my portable rig. I've got HDX2, and a Sonnet Dual SATA PCIe card with two drives (one 1TB SSD, and one 1TB spinner for backup). I bring this rig with me everywhere, and I've tracked a few projects down in Havana, and few orchestra sessions in Prague with this rig. Using Merging HORUS for my Mic Pre / AD's, and sounds stunning and has been super solid.

My ONLY complaint, is that when I get back to the hotel to do some editing (when I'm only working at or below 96kHz), I have to launch ProTools FIRST, choose the 'built-in audio' for the playback engine, and THEN plug in the thunderbolt cable to mount the drives. Otherwise, if ProTools sees the HDX cards, it won't let me launch with the built-in audio...

** EDIT (I meant to mention that most of the time, I'm tracking at 192kHz, and have between 24 and 32 tracks in record while tracking, with QuickPunch enabled)

*** ANOTHER EDIT (I also forgot to mention that I'm currently using a Samsung 850 PRO SSD)
Cool rig.

How loud are the fans on the Sonnet thunderbolt chassis?

or am i misunderstanding?

thanks