Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Upgrading from 003 to S3

I am seriously considering up grading from the 003 to the S3 and and trying to figure out what (if any) additional hardware I'll need to buy. Currently, I have a older Focusrite OctoPre MK II connected to the 003 for a total of 16 inputs. Will I still be able to use that configuration with the S3?

Just trying to figure out what external HW I'll need in order to minimize downtime.

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from 003 to S3

Since the S3 can be used just as a control surface, you may not need anything(other than enabling EUCON). The 003/focusrite combo should still work. If you do decide to upgrade your IO, there are tons of options at several price points If your 003 is the mixer version, you might find someone willing to trade you a 003R plus some cash. If you want to retire the OctoPre, there are a couple of much better lightpipe preamps on the market. Audient makes a good one and I am completely thrilled with my Midas XL48(my OctoPre is now relegated to talkback mics)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Since the S3 can be used just as a control surface, you may not need anything(other than enabling EUCON). The 003/focusrite combo should still work. If you do decide to upgrade your IO, there are tons of options at several price points If your 003 is the mixer version, you might find someone willing to trade you a 003R plus some cash. If you want to retire the OctoPre, there are a couple of much better lightpipe preamps on the market. Audient makes a good one and I am completely thrilled with my Midas XL48(my OctoPre is now relegated to talkback mics)
Thanks albee1952! Does the S3 support lightpipe? I haven't seen anything to indicate that it does. I love my 003 but it has been acting a little strange since 2018.2 - just little random things like lost files and some intermittent disconnects from Pro Tools. I realize that support is soon (if not already) to be discontinued so that why I'm looking at replacing it altogether.

5k is is a huge investment I was hoping to be able to use the S3 AVB and continue to use focusrite moving forward. I already have a buyer for the 003 that still uses PT10.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM

The S3 is not an interface. It is only a controller. If you get rid of your 003 you will need to buy another interface for input and output to/from Protools. This could be any third party interface as long as it works in conjunction with the OctoPre.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:17 PM

Thank you its2loud! The difficult thing is figuring out which interface to buy. If i use the AVB all I really would need is an interface that gives me 8 mic pre's.

I really don't want to spend $2000+ on an interface. My octopre only has lightpipe unfortunately. Any suggestions on an interface?

Thanks for responding!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 PM

Seems to me the Focusrite Scarlett or Clarett would be the logical choice. Easy integration with the OctoPre and gives you an additional 8 mic pre’s as well if you want it depending on your budget.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:01 PM

The S3 is an interface too, but it only works on Mac(no Windows AVB driver yet) and its only 2 inputs. My 2 cents(and please take it that way), grab a used 003rack(I just bought a mint condition 003r for $80 at a local pawn shop), grab the latest driver for it and get back to recording. Yes, I know there are all sorts of newer boxes, but many(most?) 3rd party interfaces have some "go between" software, while Avid hardware can often be more "seamless" in operation(3rd party users, feel free to offer evidence to counter as I have no dog in the fight). You already have a working firewire connection, so(again, my 2 cents) roll with this until such time as you are ready for a major upgrade(maybe to a thunderbolt interface for lowest latency)

My thinking is really based on the smallest amount of change to your current setup

If you are running Mac and can use AVB, I think MOTU might have some good hardware worth looking at(which would also have lightpipe so you can keep using the Octopre too).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanks again albee1952. I've spent the better part of a week researching and you just gave me good, sound advice. I think I'll stay with what I have until Avid totally pulls the plug on the 003.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, Digi003, and Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic and it works. I've got 16 channels in (003+Focusrite) and, overall it gets the job done. I like the tactile feel of faders and accuracy of the physical faders. I haven't found anything I like as an interface that doesn't have some kind of go-between. That being said, what I have has been working wellfor years, my only fear is that Avid will have a software update at some point that will turn my 003 into a boat anchor.

Thanks again for the good advice. With the money you just saved me I think I'll buy that guitar I've been eyeballing for a while
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 PM

I’m running a Digi 002 with two Artist Mixes and an Artist Control. I think you’ll be fine with the 003 for while as long as you’re using the latest drivers. The only thing you may have to do with S3 is make sure ProTools isn’t selecting it as it’s main interface since you’re on Mac